Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
Learning Styles in UK Schools
Nicola
#1 Print Post
Posted on January 13 2007 10:54 PM

I saw an interesting item on the news (UK news) the other night. It was talking about how there's a move towards different teaching styles to suit pupil's different learning styles.

The example they gave was a school where maths was being taught in different ways. One group of pupils was learning maths by setting tasks to music. Another group was writing a play about it. Another was repeating parrot-fashion, and another was painting out the tasks.

Wouldn't that have been fantastic? Or wouldn't it be fantastic for those still at school? To be taught in the style which really works for you? I was really impressed and thought that that is definitely the way to go. Not only does it address all learning styles and enable ALL pupils, it would also make teaching a lot more interesting for the tutor.

There was of course some kill-joy from a teacher's union pointing out the additional work for teachers, but I think that she was missing the point. The point of a teacher is to help pupils learn. And I think that teaching in the future should look at the different ways that pupils understand and learn.

It's a step in the right direction and I think, for pupils with dyscalculia, will help them enormously.

Laura
#2 Print Post
Posted on January 13 2007 11:02 PM

God ye that would have been ace. I seem to learn better by either walking around a room receiting what i need to know or by listening to really light music in the back ground. If this is gonna help kids today then i am so for it. Is that just in England though??

eoffg
#3 Print Post
Posted on January 14 2007 07:17 AM

Administrator

Hi NicolaPfft,
That's Great News!Pfft
The future of Education!
Many so-called Learning Disabilities may turn out to be no more than a teaching style that didn't recognise 'Different Ways of Learning'.

What I really look forward to, is when these different Learning Styles are recognised for their Strengths, instead of being seen as a Disability?

I might even suggest that one day, Dyscalculics will bring some new understanding of Maths?
Just as Dyslexics might bring some new understanding of Language?

GeoffPfft,

Jump to Forum: