Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
No one understands my math diffuculty
genstar
#1 Print Post
Posted on September 08 2012 01:34 PM

Hello I'm Gen and I haven't been diagnosed yet with Dyscalculia but I'm pretty sure I have it. Yes as a freshman I passed Prealgebra, then after two years of taking Algebra I finally passed it as a Junior. Now I'm a senior I'm taking Geometry and my mom thinks Geometry really isn't much math because it's mostly shapes but I disagree. I've been told numerous times I shouldn't get too upset about my diffuculty with math because everyone has things they're good at and not good at. This phrase isn't helping me feel any better because Math is so challenging I'm barely passing. Right now I'm flunking Geometry and I need to pass it to graduate.I'm constantly turning in assignments late and having to have one on one help from other people through my resource classes. I am an attentive listener in class, take notes, and try as hard as I can in school, yet Math I still have so much trouble with. Here are some of my reasons why I believe I have dyscalculia.

1. I always, always, always look at notes but notes usually don't help me. When I look at notes all I usually see is words that don't make sense even though they've already been defined and math problems I have no idea how they were calculated. So when teachers tell me just take a guess , I can barely guess because I don't understand the notes.

My teacher has also used soppousedly "professional" Geometry computer programs to help the class enhance their learning but they have done nothing to help me. They're just like my notes.

2. In Elementry my teachers were hard on me about memorizing the multipication facts and additions facts. I passed only a few of these tests not many.

Almost every math problem I see I have to work out on a calculator but even calculators can give me a headache. My math teacher last year would fight with me over the calculator because often I would the wrong button when I ment another button.

3. I still don't know how to tell time and some people think I'm playing games or being a smart aleck when I say I can't read the clock.

4. I make up numbers when writing down assignments like the teacher might right on the board read pgs 443-445 and I'll write down 342-343 by mistake.

5. I'm constantly getting left and right mixed up.

6. Although I'm musically gifted I struggle with reading sheet music.

I'm going to go see a neurologist September 14th. It won't really be a testing day it will just be a day where he asks some questions before we start the test. My only fear is because Dyscalculia is so rare he might not be able to analyze my brain but not officialy diagnose me with Dyscalculia. In Fifth Grade I had an MRI test and some of the test was math but it didn't diagnose me with Dyscalculia. So what would also help is if anyone here as been tested with Dyscalculia could give advice about the best way to be tested that would help to.
Edited by genstar on September 08 2012 01:39 PM

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on September 08 2012 07:07 PM

9/8/12
Genstar,
You sound so much like several of us here. Besides dyscalculia, my memory problems make it so that 'too much information' quickly becomes nothing but a blur, especially if I'm being pressured to 'remember' it all.

I don't get right and left mixed up, but several other here do.

I only remember one dyscalculic here who doesn't have trouble reading sheet music.

Your fears that the neurologist won't recognize dyscalculia are not unfounded. Medical doctors almost never know about it. Lots of psychologists don't really understand it, even the Ph D's. Neurologists 'may' know about it. But here's the 'good' part. If your neurologist does know about and understand dyscalculia, you've got a real treasure, because a diagnosis of dyscalculia by a neurologist (from what I've heard) can outrank a psychologist and can even get you great accommodations at a college where nobody wants to accept a dyscalculia diagnosis by a psychologist. (One of my friends had to get diagnosed by a neurologist on top of the diagnosis she already had from a psychologist, in order to get the accommodations she needed.) A lot of us here have been tested and diagnosed with dyscalculia. It's technically called Mathematics Disorder, and is 3.15 in the DSM manual. A psychologist would give you an IQ test, probably the Wechsler. You get back a set of scores and a Report, in which the psychologist writes about what he thinks is wrong with you and gives a list of what accommodations he thinks you need. These tests aren't cheap. They usually cost at least $400 and probably more like 6 or 8 hundred. Hope this helps. - jus'

samamos
#3 Print Post
Posted on September 10 2012 07:23 PM

this is something someone told me and i thought it may help you with the left/ right problem because i have it too if you put your left thumb and finger up it makes an "L" so thats your left, may sound simple but iv often found the simple solutions are the best, hope it helps

Jump to Forum: