Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 8

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Mathematic Disorder
amessinger
#1 Print Post
Posted on June 19 2012 09:03 AM

My daughter has an SLD in this field which I assume is Discalculia. Anyone in Ireland know of HSE support for this diagnosis or further information in Ireland? It's all new to me so any information woudl be great!

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on June 19 2012 12:45 PM

6/19/12
Hi amessinger, and welcome. I'd tried to find help in getting 'tested' for some folks in Ireland last year and found it difficult. It seems that there are still some areas that are quite isolated there?

As for SLD and HSE, I'm sure that by Googling I could eventually figure out what these acronyms stand for, but I've gotten tired of doing this, especially because my memory isn't good, and unless I use a symbol repeatedly, I keep having to look it up again. So, please, if you wouldn't mind, tell me the meaning of those acronyms. In the meantime, others on the forum will want to meet you. I hope they will have the information you're seeking. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on June 20 2012 03:05 PM

RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on June 19 2012 01:47 PM

welcome, amessinger,

I'm in the States but I found this article in the Irish Times:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2011/0726/1224301372890.html which does list at end, a possible source of help. Even if it's not quite "right" for what you're thinking of, amessinger - maybe it could be useful to go further.

I was curious so I looked up the acronyms and found "Specific Learning Disability" and "Health Service Executive" <latter term took me here: http://www.hse.ie...vices/>

amessinger
#4 Print Post
Posted on June 19 2012 02:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys and apologies for the confusion over SLD (Specific Learning Disorder) and HSE Health Service Executive and thank you for the link! I will check it out when things quieten down this evening!

eoffg
#5 Print Post
Posted on June 20 2012 08:59 AM

Administrator

Hi Amessinger,
In Ireland you have the Education and Library Board, who have a website with a lot of helpful information. Here's a link to it:
http://www.educat...rt.org.uk/

justfoundout
#6 Print Post
Posted on June 20 2012 03:12 PM

6/20/12
That worked out well. It's good to have both of those links posted here on this Thread. And thanks RW and amessinger for giving me those backronyms. - jus'

amessinger
#7 Print Post
Posted on June 20 2012 03:59 PM

Thanks for that link eoffg. However we live in The Republic of Ireland and that link is to a government organisation in Northern Ireland... All a bit frustrating as we are on the same small land mass!

Jus I shall explore the forum a bit now, This is the first forum I've joined EVER and it's great to get such quick and helpful feedback.
Thanks guys!

RottieWoman
#8 Print Post
Posted on June 20 2012 05:03 PM

what about this amessinger: http://www.dyslex...ficulties/

location says Dublin

or this? http://www.sess.i...yscalculia
and here's a Gaelic section in that same site: http://www.sess.i...0Irish.pdf

and: Trinity College Dublin Disabled Student Services http://www.tcd.ie...
I know this is the college I'm referring to but maybe you could contact them and see if they have resources to offer you or a direction to go in since at least in States, many disability organizations work together and can cross-reference for assistance.

RottieWoman
#9 Print Post
Posted on June 20 2012 05:03 PM

sure 'jus, glad to help :-)

justfoundout
#10 Print Post
Posted on June 21 2012 03:09 PM

6/21/12
amessinger, that's another coincidence. This was the first forum I'd joined EVER, too! - jus'

amessinger
#11 Print Post
Posted on June 21 2012 03:42 PM

Well we are newbies together so!

justfoundout
#12 Print Post
Posted on June 22 2012 03:13 PM

6/22/12
Well, I'm an 'oldie' now, but I was a newbie three years ago. I've pretty much made myself at home here now. How's it going on calling or emailing those places (place?) about testing? On a different subject, I'd really like to get a look at the green countryside of Ireland. It must be pretty. Another thing I like about Europe is that houses and shops are made out of 'real' materials. Rocks are actually rocks. Wooden beams are actually wooden beams. Here in the States, so often, a 'rock front' on a house or building is just a pre-fab sheet made of who-knows-what, and attached with large screws. Wooden beams look like wooden beams, but again, who knows what they are really made of. And they probably aren't even holding anything up structurally. Have you traveled so that you know what I mean? - jus'

amessinger
#13 Print Post
Posted on June 24 2012 03:07 PM

Hi Jus, I've had my daughter tested and she's come back with a DSM IV diagnosis of Mathematic Disorder. This meant nothinig to me till I looked it up! she's problems with her visual-motor coordination, visual discrimination and attention, short-term memory etc
Ireland is very green but that's because of all the rain!!! So much rain. I've travelled extensively so I know what you mean about the real deal in building products.
Ive just downloaded a large book Mathematics for Dyslexics Including Discalculia. A lot of reading to be done in time I don't have! Never mind, I'll plough on!

justfoundout
#14 Print Post
Posted on June 25 2012 06:20 PM

6/25/12
Hi amessinger,

Oh wow! She's got her DSM IV diagnosis of Mathematics Disorder. Please tell her 'welcome to the flock'. We have more of a kinship than many people who are closely related genetically. <smiles> How did you get the testing done so quickly? That was really fast!. So, she has "visual-motor coordination, visual discrimination and attention, short-term memory etc"? That's a lot to take in all of a sudden. But it's so much better to 'know', because from there, you'll eventually gain a whole collection of vocabulary to explain what's going on, both to yourself and to whoever else might need the information.

When I visited Europe, I made it as far as Scotland and England, but not to Ireland. That's okay. There's no shortage at Barnes and Noble of beautiful picture books featuring the green slope of Ireland. Oh! And we get to see the Celtic Women (and men) singing, playing, and dancing around in front of a castle sometimes on Public TV. They sound great. Actually, they've even visited and performed at a theater near my home. Someday when I can afford the price of the tickets, I'll go see them. Riverdance, too. That's Irish, too, isn't it? And my grandmother on my dad's side was Irish. Such blue eyes that all 7 of her children had blue eyes, even though the husband had brown eyes. My impression was that she had 'powerful' blue eye genes. - :-) - jus'

Jump to Forum: