Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 9

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Looking for participants for dyscalculia research
Souraya
#1 Print Post
Posted on April 25 2012 11:27 AM

Hello,

I am a postgraduate psychology student at the University of Glasgow, UK. I am conducting a research study into the psychosocial effects of developmental dyscalculia and am looking for participants.

I have been a lurker on this forum for a while and it has always really struck me that there are no published studies which describe the everyday life experiences of dyscalculia. It was obvious to me whilst reading through the posts that you have important stories to tell, and my aim for this study is to share your experiences and get your voices heard.

The study will consist of an online focus group and a follow-up interview via telephone or Skype.

UPDATE: due to time constraints I will now only be conducting one-to-one interviews.

Please read the Plain Language Statement below and pm me if you would like to take part or would like to find out more.

I look forward to meeting you!

Souraya Morrison,
MSc Psychological Studies
University of Glasgow

P.S. I can conduct interviews anywhere in the world via telephone, Skype, or similar methods so please don't be put off if you are nowhere near Scotland!

Plain Language Statement

Psychosocial effects of developmental dyscalculia across the lifespan – a qualitative study.

Postgraduate research project
School of Education
Principal researcher: Ms Souraya Morrison
College of Social Sciences
Supervisor: Dr Dely Elliot

You are being invited to take part in a research study. Before you decide it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what it will involve. Please take time to read the following information carefully and discuss it with others if you wish. Ask us if there is anything that is not clear or if you would like more information. Take time to decide whether or not you wish to take part.

What is the purpose of the study?
Developmental dyscalculia (DD) is an innate specific learning difficulty which affects the learning and understanding of arithmetic. The aim of the study is to investigate the psychosocial effects of living with DD across the lifespan, and to give a voice to those who live with this disorder. This research project will be taking place over a three month period between April and July 2012.

Why have I been chosen?
Adults (over the age of 18) who have a diagnosis of DD, or self-identify with having DD are invited to take part in this study. Your first language does not need to be English, but a good command of the language is necessary. You should not have any other learning difficulties or psychiatric diagnoses.

Do I have to take part?
Participating in this study is entirely voluntary. If you do decide to take part you are still free to withdraw at any time and without giving a reason. Withdrawing from the study will not jeopardise your relationship with the researcher.
What will happen to me if I take part?
If you decide to take part you will be required to participate in a private online forum discussion with other participants and the researcher. This discussion will last for two to three weeks in which time you will be encouraged to participate in the discussions at least twice a week, at your convenience. Depending on the amount of data collected through the online forum discussion, some participants will be invited to take part in a further in-depth interview to be conducted via Skype, telephone, or face-to-face (this will be the participant’s choice). The interviews will last 40-60 minutes and either be video recorded or audio recorded. A written transcription of the interview will be sent to you for validation prior to data analysis.

Will my taking part in this study be kept confidential?
All information that is collected about you during the course of the research will be kept strictly confidential. You will be given a non-identifying pseudonym to use on the online discussion forum, and you will only be referred to by this pseudonym in the write-up of the study. Data from the study may be kept for an extended period to allow for publication in an academic journal but will only be accessible to the researcher and then destroyed after five years.

What will happen to the results of the research study?
The results of the research will be written up in a journal article which forms a compulsory component of MSc Psychological Studies. It will be aimed to have it published in an academic journal within the next two years. A summary of the results or a copy of the final manuscript will be available to you upon request from the researcher.

Who has reviewed the study?
This project has been reviewed by the College of Social Sciences Ethics Committee. If you have any concerns regarding the conduct of the research project you can contact the School of Education Ethics Officer: Irene McQueen at

Contact for Further Information
If you would like to participate in, or enquire about, this study please contact Souraya Morrison at

Thank you for taking part,
Souraya Morrison

mevans72
#2 Print Post
Posted on October 22 2012 05:04 PM

Hi Souraya,

I am a fourth year Product Design Engineering student at the University of Glasgow. Currently I am looking to redesign ATMs so they are easier to use for Dyscalculics.

It would be really useful if we could meet up as I am trying to understand the condition further in order to design a dyscalculic ATM.

Would you be interested in meeting up for a discussion?

Cheers,

Michael

Jump to Forum: