Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Is reading maps related to dyscalculia?
Aminididi
#1 Print Post
Posted on April 23 2012 05:10 AM

Hi, i havent been here in a while, thought id drop bySmile

Well, basically, i am terrible at maps. They are just a bunch of wriggly lines to me, and this is after taking geography in year 7&8(im 15)

I know bad sense of direction is a symptom, which is true to me, i have no sense of direction, but actually reading maps? I cant drive yet, but my mum asks me to read maps for her, and ive gotten her lost a few times now:/ I dont know if that has anything to do with it, but whatever haha.

I havent been officially diagnosed with dyscalculia yet, but a lot of the symptoms match. I live in new zealand, and i dont think they do dyscalculia testing here anyway. My parents dont really believe me though Sad

So, anyway, hi everyone, hope to be stopping by a bit more often.Smile

-Em
Hello...

Goodbye...

redransom
#2 Print Post
Posted on April 23 2012 07:19 AM

I know what you mean, I have no idea when it comes to maps. I'm terrified one day someone will ask me to give them directions using one, and I'll get us horribly lost. Just one of many fears relating to something I'm not even diagnosed with, yet.
i.picasion.com/pic52/1fa7c67cea0db2d2d2b6ac6aad0dc9a8.gif

heathermomster
#3 Print Post
Posted on April 23 2012 10:17 PM

Unfortunately, difficulty with reading maps seems to be common on the forum, though my son is not affected this way.

CheshireKat
#4 Print Post
Posted on April 23 2012 11:57 PM

Yes, difficulty reading maps is a common symptom of dyscalculia. I ended up steering my family into the wrong STATE on a family vacation because they insisted that I be in charge of reading the map. Nobody has ever handed me a map since that incident. All I can suggest is to try and draw the maps over and over and over again until it almost becomes muscle memory. That, or try to remember it like a picture instead of a map. For example, when I was in high school I found a way to make a map of Iraq look like my dog jumping in the air. When I had to draw Iraq for my World History class, I drew it thinking about that image of my dog jumping. Sounds ridiculous, but it worked!
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Aminididi
#5 Print Post
Posted on April 26 2012 03:37 PM

haha thanks everyone, made me feel better XD. maybe i should take up geography again*shudder* well, hopefully in two years every car will have a gps:-)

Hello...

Goodbye...

RottieWoman
#6 Print Post
Posted on April 26 2012 03:50 PM

where are you going Aminididi?
oh, yeah I found this link for you and then lost it but got it again:
http://www.dyslex...ralia.html

if you look past the dyslexia reference and check the page, you may find more applicable resources....

AND

http://www.christ...abilities/
<again I know there's a lot of "children" reference in there but if you contact someone they still may be able to help you

Smile

Ladyhawke
#7 Print Post
Posted on April 27 2012 05:02 AM

I'm not alone! Shock

NO one will trust me with a map...Grin

Ladyhawke
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

RottieWoman
#8 Print Post
Posted on April 27 2012 01:37 PM

nope!

Barbaradee
#9 Print Post
Posted on May 08 2012 12:18 PM

Orient your map. It is a little trick that I learned in the Army - where I had to learn to read maps and navigate.

Highlight the route on your map that you want to take. As you go - keep turning your map in the direction you are going. This means that your map may seem upside down or sideways - but you will be able to make the map line up with the road ahead of you.

Works like a dream!

justfoundout
#10 Print Post
Posted on May 08 2012 08:44 PM

5/8/12
When I'm going to have to turn off of a 'fast paced road', be it a freeway or just a heavily trafficked road, I try to learn the name of the street that comes before the one that I'll be turning off on, the name of the 'street' itself, and the name of the street that comes after where I should have turned. This saved me several times, as sometimes there is just too much to keep track of when in unfamiliar surroundings, and you can easily find yourself having already passed the street that you needed to turn on to. On a good day, I'll try to learn the names of 'two' streets before and 'two' streets after the street that I need. No, I don't have GPS, and I won't be able to afford it anytime soon. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on May 08 2012 08:45 PM

katee
#11 Print Post
Posted on May 08 2012 09:18 PM

I'm the same age as you and I'm also terrible at map reading, as you said it just looks like a bunch of jumbled up lines haha!
Smile Kate

dandy22
#12 Print Post
Posted on May 08 2012 09:19 PM

I can't read maps well either. My family just seems to think I'm stupid, so on car trips they don't let me ride shotgun because i can't read the map, as if someone else can't read the map from the back seat. They don't really understand dyscalculia in general and it makes me really depressed; I hate them Angry . Sorry for rambling, but to answer your question, I can't read maps.
Equations are the devil's sentences. -Stephen Colbert

heathermomster
#13 Print Post
Posted on May 08 2012 09:22 PM

I'm starting to wonder if the whole map reading thing is gender specific. I'm sorry..From some of the user names, I can't tell whether those that responded are male or female...Oh, and I'm not trying to be sexist here.

Would any men with dyscalculia care to speak up? Can you read maps?

DS is 12..We've had two monstrous maps stapled to our office wall since DS was 18 months old, when we moved in. My family loves history,and we've always used maps for fun. We keep atlases for everything. I wonder now if that has benefited DS.

Gnarkill
#14 Print Post
Posted on May 15 2012 08:16 AM

I've never had an issue with maps, I actually excel at them. When I was doing pilot training, (Yes I flew) I had to read complicated aeronautical maps. With topographical maps and elevation changes and etc.

The biggest obstacle for me completing the training was dyscalculia what a shocker!! Even though the FAA alows calculators on the test and they're generally used for everything, one of the instructors couldn't tolerate my dyscalculia and basically kicked me out of the schoolSad
Edited by Gnarkill on May 15 2012 08:18 AM

Jump to Forum: