Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

Print Thread
Just finished testing!
writefluidity
#1 Print Post
Posted on March 29 2012 01:07 PM

Hey everyone! Yesterday I officially finished my testing for Dyscalculia/mathematic disability. It took about four hours, and I must admit, it's the most exhausting test I've ever taken. I couldn't get over how silly it was! Anyone else start off with using those blocks: either all red, all white, half red and white, etc? When she said I had to match it to the picture, I thought it started off fun. Within the fourth example, I couldn't do it easily (if at all) and was tempted to throw it at all the wall. The writing/reading/and verbal portions were all fun-except when I was asked random facts. I didn't know the 'captial' of italy (I said Florence...who says that?!' And I wasn't sure what temperature water boiled at. When asked to repeat number to her, Once it got to four numbers, I found I was mixing them up. They she asked if I knew it was wrong, and I nodded. She asked if I would like to try again, and I found I couldn't remember the numbers she told me. Took a math related test, very much 'Adam had four cookies, gave two away, got another, etc' kind of thing...pretty sure I answered those ALL incorrectly. Could not do math that was greater then adding and subtracting-some multiplication, if it was X 10 or 5...I think I solved an algebraic expression right, though, so yay! Also, I NEED to know this. She would give me two words, and ask what was similar between them. For instance, she asked, 'Boat and car' and I said both were a form of transportation...then she started asking me, 'Acceptence and denial' and I was thinking...wait....those are opposites. What's with that? Anyway, very odd testing, sometimes silly, sometimes aggravating. Hoping to have the results soon-really love to have them in time for college!

squeakymonster
#2 Print Post
Posted on March 29 2012 02:41 PM

Yep, you took the same assessment I did. Yes, I started off with blocks. I also was tested for ADD/ADHD (missed that diagnosis by a few points, found I'm highly compulsive) on a computer (hit the space bar for every letter you see but this one). The writing exam was amusing, as was the verbal portion. Blocks were amusing at first, then I was about ready to cry. Math, well... I was there for a mathematics disability diagnosis. I'm sure we can all assume how *that* went, especially since I was diagnosed. My results took a month to get back because of where I was tested. I personally think that waiting is the hardest part. I hate waiting for anything.

Congrats on getting tested. Hope you get the answers you need soon, but fair warning, my diagnosis gave me some answers, but lead to many more questions and a few more cans of worms I wasn't expecting. After you get your results, give yourself time to process what you've been told.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on April 06 2012 03:37 PM

I remember those blocks - I sucked at 'em. Not surprising.
yeah seemed like my testing was several hours at least, too.

welcome, here writefluidity <sorry if I've doubled myself on that - been very hectic here at my place!>

misswallflower
#4 Print Post
Posted on April 17 2012 08:28 PM

I just got back from testing today and that's exactly what i did.
The blocks were fun at first but then I couldn't get the last few patterns right. so confusing! lol
I'm not sure if you did this or not but I had to listen to a tape and I had to guess what the person was saying. I don't really understand what that part was about. Obviously, I had to do some math problems and well..... we can all guess how that went.
Waiting is going to be nerve wrecking but hopefully we'll all get the answers we need!

justfoundout
#5 Print Post
Posted on April 18 2012 04:01 PM

4/18/12
I'll be hoping the best for you, misswallflower. ;) - jus'

eoffg
#6 Print Post
Posted on April 19 2012 11:59 AM

Administrator

Those Block tests, are actually the main indicator of Dyscalculia.

CheshireKat
#7 Print Post
Posted on April 19 2012 10:03 PM

I actually enjoyed the blocks test, and I did very well at it, with the exception of the one that I inverted completely. Instead of making a red arrow pointing towards the psychologist, I made a white arrow pointing towards me... oops. I just picked up the whole bunch of blocks and flipped them, and ta-da! The pattern was right.

That makes sense for me though, because my main problem with dyscalculia isn't a conceptual problem or a fluid reasoning issue. Conceptually, I generally understand math. I have even had a previous math teacher, frustrated with my poor performance in her class, say to me, "You are the first person in the room to get the concept behind what I'm teaching, but you have the lowest grade in the class. The lowest. I don't understand how that's even possible."

My main hurdles are in terms of the way my brain deals with numbers. I know what it means to have 9 of something, but it's hard for me to look at the number 9 written like "9" and know that 9 = nine = having that many of something. I understand the concept of quantity, but not the symbolic representation of it.

The test I took that highlighted this issue most prominently was one in which they gave me 3 booklets. One of them had rows of letters, 5 in each row, and 2 of them would be the same letter. It might look like "R F U F E" I would have to circle the 2 letters that were the same, all the way down each row, as fast as I could. The next booklet had pictures, and 2 of the images would be of the same thing (not identical images, but of the same kind of thing - for example, 2 pictures of flowers). Same thing, I had to circle the 2 images that were of the same thing. The last booklet was like the first, but instead of letters, it had numbers, and I had to circle the 2 numbers that were the same.

Sounds easy, right? Wrong. I bombed the numbers book. I finished the letters and pictures before my time ran out, and I got them all right. I only got 1/3 of the way through the numbers book before time ran out, and I got something like 1/4 of them wrong. Bingo, there's the problem. It's hard to succeed in a class where the symbols might as well be written Chinese!

One thing I did that threw off my test (without meaning to) was that I gamed the first part of the digit span test, the one where they read you numbers and you have to read them back. When they were being read forward, I made it all the way up to 9 digits without making any mistakes. The reason wasn't because I was remembering the numbers, though - I was remembering the sounds that they made when she said them aloud.

If I memorized them as a string of sounds instead of a string of numbers, I could make it all the way through without mistakes. I didn't realize I was doing this, it was just one of those coping mechanisms you do without being aware of it. She realized I had gamed the first half when she did the backwards digit span test, though, and I couldn't get past 3 without messing it up. She ended up throwing out the forward digit span test as it was not an accurate measurement of my actual digit span.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on April 20 2012 04:45 PM

4/20/12
I aced the block test. - jus'

Jump to Forum: