Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

Print Thread
Needing some advice
Aimeegirl
#1 Print Post
Posted on February 27 2012 08:36 AM

I'm Aimee i live in Sydney. Im 11 years old and a 27 weeker. I was diagnosed with dyscalculia last year. I have lots of trouble with maths and anxiety. When ever my teacher brings it up my heart starts racing. Im in year six and dont know my times tables my school isnt helping me. im scared of high school and im on a year 2 level in maths . And im very embarrest can someone give some tips or ways to help me please?
Edited by Aimeegirl on February 27 2012 08:37 AM

Laura
#2 Print Post
Posted on February 27 2012 09:52 PM

Hey there Aimee,

Wow that sucks about your school.....Can your folks not insist you get the support you need? Least you have the diagnosis so there should be no issues with you getting support... it's in black and white
BEEN THERE DONE THAT, GOT THE T-SHIRT

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on February 27 2012 11:43 PM

2/27/12
Dear Aimeegirl,
I'm so sorry that you are having that anxiety problem that makes your heart race. I'm a grown woman in college, but I still don't know all my times tables. I have to count on my fingers to get the right answer. High School was difficult for me as regards math. I barely passed Algebra One, and took geometry and Business Math so that I wouldn't have to take Algebra Two.

I hope that your dyscalculia diagnosis will help you get the understanding that you need. In the USA, the kids with a disability diagnosis have a special plan called an IEP (individual education plan). Do you have something like that in Australia?

There is a very nice lady named Kathy who is dyscalculic and lives in Brisbane. She will come and meet you soon, I'm sure. Also, our forum Administrator 'eoffg' is in Australia. Welcome. - jus'

Ladyhawke
#4 Print Post
Posted on February 28 2012 04:11 AM

Welcome to the forum, Aimeegirl! Smile

I'm so sorry to read about your math difficulites. Perhaps you should mention this site to your parents and teachers and suggest to them that you think you might have Dyscalculia. They'll probably research for themselves to see what you are talking about and maybe then you can get them to understand what you are struggling with in math.

If you talk to your parents openly about your concerns, the first thing would be to get your parents to arrange to have you tested, to see if you have a learning disablity. After they do that then they can tell you what needs to be done for you.

I hope you can find the courage to talk to your parents and try to get them to understand that you honestly think you have a problem with math. If you don't say anything to them then they'll never know how much you struggle with math. It's important for you to be honest with them and tell them everything you struggle to learn in math.

Good luck to you and let us know how things turn out for you! Smile

Ladyhawke
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

Aimeegirl
#5 Print Post
Posted on February 29 2012 07:18 AM

thank you for all your advice I'm going through a really hard time the year six maths is hard but I'm getting through itWink

Skibladner
#6 Print Post
Posted on February 29 2012 04:06 PM

Hi Aimeegirl
I can't add much more to what the others have said. My heart goes out to you. It won't help, I know, but I am 68 and I don't know any of the times tables and I never got to level 2 in math. Ever. Just remember, you are not dumb, you are bright and clever and can do a lot of things those kids who are good at math can't. Being different isn't easy. Just remember, we are special people. Let us know what happens .....?
Skibladner

Aimeegirl
#7 Print Post
Posted on March 05 2012 07:46 AM

i cant do that in my head Smile i know my 1x 2x thats all...Sad

Jump to Forum: