Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
dance fail revolution
sarahfaction
#1 Print Post
Posted on February 04 2012 01:01 AM

I don't know what possessed me to try one of those dance video games the other night at an arcade. You know the ones with the footpads and the flashing lights? My friend was clomping to the beat right next to me but somehow my steps were about three counts behind her. It was like I was playing the game in time delay. Took me a while to figure out it was dyscalculia biting me in the butt again. Left, right, forward, back . . . d'oh!

CoastGurl
#2 Print Post
Posted on February 08 2012 01:50 AM

I played on one of those things about ten years ago and I faaaailed. However! My mom picked up one about six months ago (home edition), and after three days I was playing on the extra hard mode to this insane japanese techno song (which is awesome, by the way). It just takes a lot of practice, and associating symbols with movements. Of course, when it says "left, left, left' I would do 'right, right, right' then kick myself for getting it mixed up.
So my math isn't that good, and my spelling doesn't always make sense, but I try and that's really the only thing you can do in life.

freya
#3 Print Post
Posted on February 10 2012 05:11 AM

I used to play DDR vigorously in high school years and years ago. I had no idea how to play until I got it on console and followed the tutorials. My brain :"Oh! You are supposed to put your feet each horizontal arrow?" It clicked for me, but I never stuck to standard and easy heavy song sets. My eye to body coordination isn't all that great.

The main transition from standard to heavy mode, is learning how to do "cross-overs". Rhythm and Police has a couple of those. Explained here Grin http://www.wikiho...the-Groove

Angie
#4 Print Post
Posted on February 22 2012 08:24 PM

I used to be on Dance Team in high school. As an adult, now knowing I have something called "dyscalculia" it always makes sense why I was two or three steps behind everybody. Not keeping in time. Had to practice 4x harder than anyone else to get the steps right. Once I had it MEMORIZED I was golden, but working through the steps quickly as they were being taught was IMPOSSIBLE. If the instructor made notes (pictures and discriptions) i could do great. But if I was expected to learn by showing, no way could I pick it up. It seems like, in conjunction with dyscalculia is an inherrant inability to learn music and dance steps the same way as "The Others."

CheshireKat
#5 Print Post
Posted on February 22 2012 10:05 PM

I never had a real problem with DDR myself, despite my very prominent issues with directions. I'm not really sure how I managed to be good at DDR despite doing things like using the wrong left/right blinker half the time!! I think something about seeing the arrow on the side of the screen that correlates with the foot I was supposed to use was helpful. Back in middle school I used to play it on advanced mode... I'm not sure if I could do that now, just as far as being out of practice, but maybe. Smile
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

justfoundout
#6 Print Post
Posted on February 23 2012 05:20 PM

2/23/12

Angie, I don't learn well just by 'being shown' either. I need for the instructor to also give me a verbal description of what they are doing, and if possible to also tell me 'why' this is the best way to do it. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on February 23 2012 05:21 PM

Jump to Forum: