Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
Something quite special to think about
squeakymonster
#1 Print Post
Posted on February 03 2012 07:31 PM

I met with my Student Support Services adviser today. She looked at my transcript (we were discussing the music issue), and noticed I have almost enough credits in History to also complete a History Education MAJOR, instead of just shooting for a minor, and to have an English Education minor, which is something I hadn't even thought about. I could graduate with certification to teach three different subjects. How cool would that be?! First, I just have to pass that pesky entrance exam to the Education Dept. and start me Ed. classes, most likely in the fall.

All of this brought back memories of my 8th grade History/English teacher. She really wanted to see me go to college, and pushed me to purse college. In large part, it's because of her belief in me that I considered it. Ms. Carson wanted me to major in History or English, but I chose to major in Music, instead, with a minor in History. Finding out that I can become a teacher in all of these with not much more in History or English means a lot to me. I can honor her memory, become certified in all of these, and maybe make a difference like she did. She died a few years ago, so will never know. But somehow, knowing that I can do this means a great deal to me.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

CheshireKat
#2 Print Post
Posted on February 03 2012 11:22 PM

Squeaky, that sounds like a wonderful, awesome road to pursue. Especially given how inspirational and supportive your teacher was, I think it would be a really great honor to her memory for you to pursue this extra education and continue on the legacy of great teachers that she started with you.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on February 04 2012 01:45 AM

2/3/12
Squeaky, just look at what you are saying and think about what I'd already told you about my Major. Can you 'believe' how similar our cases are? I'd been doing an Art Major. Then, that teacher didn't like my painting, so I changed to a Spanish Major. Unbelievably, the art department gave me a Minor in Studio Art. Supposedly, they weren't even offering that Minor, but I had exactly the right credits to fulfill it, and they gave it to me. Now, if I can finish my Spanish Major, I'll be just like you, trying to pass the test to be an Art teacher. However, at my college, getting into the Education program requires passing an admittance exam with math,... too high of a level for me to pass. Let us know how it goes for you? - jus'

squeakymonster
#4 Print Post
Posted on February 04 2012 02:19 AM

Jus', I also have to pass a math test, but I'm hoping to do so. I've been studying for months and will be getting tutoring. The test will be in March or April.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

justfoundout
#5 Print Post
Posted on February 06 2012 04:31 PM

2/6/12
I you can pass that math test, you'll have passed the hurdle that's kept me from being a teacher. I hope you can pass it. Doing the alternative education route will cost me an extra $5,000, unless I can get a scholarship to pay for it. - jus'

Jump to Forum: