Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Articles
 Print Thread
4th National Conference 'Dyscalculia and Maths Learning Difficulties' 2012
justfoundout
#1 Print Post
Posted on December 11 2011 11:06 PM

12/11/11
This Conference will be held in London. It is "For all teachers of numeracy and maths, SENCos and Learning Support teachers, LA inclusion and numeracy support teams and Educational Psychologists." Last year, this meant that only full fledged teachers and Educational Psychologists could attend. Supposedly they were the only ones who would be 'interested' in what was presented. I'm pretty sure that *I* would be interested, too, but my opinion didn't get me an invitation. :/ At any rate, I wanted to post this notice here so that anyone who qualifies and can 'get there' will go see what the professionals are planning for us in the future. There is contact information at the foot of the text. - jus'

QUOTE:
4th National Conference 'Dyscalculia and Maths Learning Difficulties' 2012
Dear Colleague,
Book before 19th December 2011 to take advantage of the Early Bird offer available for our 4th National Conference 'Dyscalculia and Maths Learning Difficulties' 2012.

4th National Dyscalculia & Maths Learning Difficulties Conference
28th June 2012 The Cumberland Hotel, London

Full Conference Details
Book Online
Download Flyer

This unique conference, now in its 4th year, brings together the worlds of research, maths teaching and SEN expertise. 3 keynote speakers, Professors Brian Butterworth, Judy Sebba and Peter Bryant plus 3 breakout sessions, 5 streams, 8 workshop themes provide you with cutting edge research and opportunities to engage with leading practitioners from schools, FE and HE institutions.

For all teachers of numeracy and maths, SENCos and Learning Support teachers, LA inclusion and numeracy support teams and Educational Psychologists.

An Early Bird fee of £230 is available for a limited period, and will end on the 19th December 2011

Keynote One - Professor Brian Butterworth
Keynote Two - Professor Judy Sebba
Keynote Three - Professor Peter Bryant

Thursday 28th June 2012
0845 Registration, coffee & exhibition
0930 Introduction
0940 Keynote 1: Professor Brian Butterworth - Dyscalculia: From research lab to practical intervention

1040 Keynote 2: Professor Judy Sebba - Raising expectations and achievement levels for all mathematics students
1110 Coffee break & exhibition
1140 Breakout Session 1

1. Assessing for dyscalculia – What to investigate - Jane Emerson, Emerson House
2. Using Cuisenaire to develop a sense of number - Ronit Bird, Teacher & Author
3. Language Counts in Maths: challenges faced by EAL users - Steve Cooke & Catharine Driver, NALDIC
4. Teachers’ dominant cultural scripts for teaching secondary mathematics - Lori Altendorff, University of Sussex
5. Passing from the primary to secondary education: Filling the gaps of misconceptions - Giannis Karagiannakis, University of Athens

1230 Lunch and Exhibition
1330 Breakout Session 2

1. Assessing for dyscalculia – What to investigate - Jane Emerson, Emerson House
2. Using Cuisenaire to develop a sense of number - Ronit Bird, Teacher & Author
3. Dyslexia, Dyscalculia and Mathematics difficulties - Dr Fiona Simmons , Liverpool John Moores University
4. Teachers’ dominant cultural scripts for teaching secondary mathematics - Lori Altendorff, University of Sussex
5. Teaching written calculation: standard or non-standard algorithms? - Prof Ian Thompson, Visiting Professor at Edge Hill University

1420 Tea/Coffee break and exhibition
1450 Breakout Session 3

1. Dyslexia, Dyscalculia and Mathematics difficulties- Dr Fiona Simmons , Liverpool John Moores University
2. Maximising TA support when working with pupils with mathematical difficulties - Carol Rushworth-Little and Sarah Soley, Worcestershire CC Learning Support Team
3. Language Counts in Maths: challenges faced by EAL users - Steve Cooke & Catharine Driver, NALDIC
4. Teaching written calculation: standard or non-standard algorithms? - Prof Ian Thompson, Visiting Professor at Edge Hill University
5. Passing from the primary to secondary education: Filling the gaps of misconceptions - Giannis Karagiannakis, University of Athens

1540 Keynote 3: Professor Peter Bryant - The basic importance of children's reasoning about mathematics
1630 End of conference

Fees
£255 + VAT- Includes all refreshments, lunch pre-conference resources and conference booklet.
£230 + VAT - Early Bird fee for bookings before 19th December 2011

Full conference details, pen portraits, presentation descriptions and online booking at:
www.dyscalculia-m...
Click here to download flyer Click here to book online

About Us
Learning Works is an educational consultancy based in Marlborough, Wiltshire. We focus on learning and learners........ Read More
Learning Works CPD Courses
Teaching Children with Specific Learning Difficulties
Managing the role of the SENCo
Share This Mail Link to a Friend
© Learning Works, 9 Barrow Close, Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8 2BD | T: +44 1672 512 914 | E:
END QUOTE

squeakymonster
#2 Print Post
Posted on December 30 2011 07:01 PM

Too bad we can't get something like that here in the US!
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on December 31 2011 01:58 PM

I agree....I know some of the state chapters of LDA have conferences and I went to one once. But my state's chapter seems pretty inactive - or at least the website is.

But here's a link to the LDA National in Chicago, actually....http://www.ldanatl.org/conference/index.asp

Jump to Forum: