Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 2

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Incorrect Diagnosis of ADHD?
snowasu
#1 Print Post
Posted on November 21 2011 08:27 PM

Was your child incorrectly diagnosed with ADHD? Was your child given an ADHD diagnosis only to later find out that he/she had a different learning disability?

If so, you are invited to participate in a research study that looking at how an incorrect diagnosis of ADHD affects our children. The study consists of answering a series of questions regarding your experience and will be conducted in an online format. All communication will be done via email, so you never have to give out your personal information and you are welcome to stop participating at any time during the duration of the study.

The results of this study will not be published, but will be used for an undergraduate research project. Your participation is greatly appreciated, so please respond to the this post for further information.
SmileSmileSmile

squeakymonster
#2 Print Post
Posted on November 21 2011 09:00 PM

You might have better luck checking with ADD/ADHD forums.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

snowasu
#3 Print Post
Posted on November 21 2011 09:13 PM

I have posted with some ADHD Forums in addition to forums regarding learning disabilities because sometimes children are diagnosed with ADHD and even treated with medication before finding out that ADHD is not the correct diagnosis. I am not focusing on children who have been successfully diagnose with ADHD, but those who were incorrectly diagnosed. Thank you for your reply!!! Wink

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on November 24 2011 08:17 PM

11/23/11
Hi snowasu,
Oh. Yes, medicating a child for ADHD, especially when he/she isn't even ADHD would be a really bad thing. Are you a psych major? - jus'

snowasu
#5 Print Post
Posted on November 24 2011 09:23 PM

I am not a psych major. I am a biological sciences major. The research assignment has to deal with a biological topic that also affects society in general. I chose the topic because of the overwhelming increase in diagnosis of ADHD, and I am looking for people who have been misdiagnosed in order to look at the potential affects (if any) of being misdiagnosed with this disease.

justfoundout
#6 Print Post
Posted on November 24 2011 10:59 PM

11/23/11
I'm a college student, art major. I've read books about how bad Ridelin is for kids. We've had a few forum members say (in years past) that they are diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but there hasn't been much discussion of this of late. I think that I came across this subject when I was researching (for myself) getting my amalgam fillings removed from my teeth. Mean old mercury in the amalgam was making me sick. - jus'

snowasu
#7 Print Post
Posted on November 29 2011 12:46 AM

The medications for ADHD are pretty serious. Some are so strong that they are abused in some academic settings. If you come across anyone who may be interested, or if you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks!!Smile

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on November 30 2011 11:28 PM

11/30/11
Will do, snowasu. (Opps! That rhymes.) Will I just send you a Pm in that case? Are you set up to receive a notification when someone Pm's you? - jus'

snowasu
#9 Print Post
Posted on December 05 2011 06:51 PM

Thanks Jus' - I just modified my settings so that I get an email notification when I receive a PM, so that works, or an email is fine too at . I appreciate your help Smile

RottieWoman
#10 Print Post
Posted on December 05 2011 07:09 PM

I don't happen to have ADD/ADHD but wanted to wish you ood luck with your studies,snowasuSmile

snowasu
#11 Print Post
Posted on December 05 2011 07:47 PM

Thank you Rottie! I will take all the luck I can get, it has been difficult finding participants.

RottieWoman
#12 Print Post
Posted on December 05 2011 09:03 PM

Smile no problem

am wondering <without compromising the integrity of what such groups are trying to achieve> if there are Meet-Up groups near you that you could look through in case any happen to be focused on something like "parenting special needs child" or something else relating to children in Ex Ed - or whose parents think "something" is going on...where I was going with that is somewhere in any of those groupings you could come across the specific variable you describe.
If you were up-front and compassionate about how you approached it and found any possibility, that might be a way to get more involved in what you're looking for-

snowasu
#13 Print Post
Posted on December 05 2011 09:28 PM

There may be groups like that in my area, but since this is a school project, I really wanted to keep the participants anonymous. Meeting a participant face to face would require steps toward protecting the privacy of the participant, and if the study is done online, then there is a level of privacy that is maintained. Also, I didn't want to limit the search for participants to people in my area. Although I am only looking for about 5-10 people to participate, I figured that my odds would be better if I looked for participants online.

RottieWoman
#14 Print Post
Posted on December 05 2011 09:31 PM

ahhh, I understand...hmmm...

Jump to Forum: