Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 2

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Pretty sure I am...
TheGreyMan
#1 Print Post
Posted on October 27 2011 02:33 PM

I was routed here today after a search for "Why can't I remember numbers?" and I have to say this has been a most enlightening read. I am astounded at how well the shoe fits, and now it looks like i have a lot more reading to do.

I always found it strange that no matter how many times I went over multiplication tables or tried to remember things like road numbers, house numbers - anything outside of numbers that I use EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I just come up blank. I still add with fingers. I take too long to do pretty basic math... and I have tried my best to keep it all from public view since I was a child.

I could go on, but I am sure a lot of you here have the same story to tell. I find it strange to think that I make my living doing some pretty involved math and yet... I don't know.

Long story short THANK YOU for these resources and I look forward to learning more - much, much more.

Grey

RottieWoman
#2 Print Post
Posted on October 28 2011 01:46 PM

welcome, TheGreyMan!

I have math LD.. I count on my fingers in public and mess up at the counter with change.
I tell everybody.

glad you found usSmile

TheGreyMan
#3 Print Post
Posted on October 28 2011 01:54 PM

RottieWoman wrote:
welcome, TheGreyMan!

I have math LD.. I count on my fingers in public and mess up at the counter with change.
I tell everybody.

glad you found usSmile

As am I, ma'am! Thank you for the welcome. I wish I had your courage, but I fully believe (in fact just posted about it) that if my coworkers knew what problems I have and have always had that it would fundamentally alter the way they perceive me and what I do. I may be wrong, but I can't bring myself to make the leap of publicly 'outing' myself.

Thanks again for your welcome and I look forward to talking with you all.

RottieWoman
#4 Print Post
Posted on October 28 2011 01:56 PM

thanks
and I understandSmile

justfoundout
#5 Print Post
Posted on October 29 2011 10:32 PM

10/29/11
Hi TheGreyMan,
I've read that there are no truly 'grey' people,... that everyone has some really surprising interests and skills. So, I think that you are probably one of those people who would walk out of the audience, up onto the stage, and shock us like the singer-lady from Scotland. ;)

I tried to 'fit in' in the office settings. After all, I thought, "I'm good at reading and writing. I must belong in an office." Yet, in a short time, I'd find that I was being made fun of,... usually for the things that I'd forget, or for the things that I'd have to keep asking about. But, from there it would progress to more sinister 'jokes'. Sometimes it was really harrassment, but I'd put up with it because I needed the job. For me, it's really been 'worth it' to get the diagnosis. Now, with the diagnosis, I've gotten better at speaking up when I'm being mistreated. And I can do it in a calm voice, because I know that they are wrong. And if I have to do it on another occassion, I'll do it then, too. I know now that the pain I've felt hasn't been due to a character flaw on my part, but rather, because some people are just very good at putting other people 'down'. I shouldn't have to be 'brilliant' or a fast thinker not to be treated that way. Glad you found us here. - jus'

P.S. TheGreyMan, a favor to ask of you, in advance,... Sorry to bring this up but, if/when you answer my post, please don't 'quote' my whole post, okay? It bothers me because then, if my post contained a typo, I'm not able to correct it within the other person's post. Thanks.
Edited by justfoundout on October 29 2011 10:36 PM

Tamsin
#6 Print Post
Posted on October 30 2011 01:52 AM

WelcomeSmile
Aspie

TheGreyMan
#7 Print Post
Posted on October 30 2011 05:13 AM

jus' and Tamsin, thanks for your warm welcome!

jus' I am sorry to hear about your workplace experiences, but unfortunately it is a common occurrence, and over time that leaves its mark. It sounds like you have done a fantastic job of learning to speak your mind, and that is awesome. In my case it has given me quite a dry sense of humor and a public persona that some people (most?) see as quite dour. After a while you just sort of stop caring, don't you? When I was in my early teens I was as outgoing as they come, but as time went on and more and more 'quirks' were noticed I guess I just started trying to hide them, and the result is.. well, it's my avatar name. With one glaring exception...

It's funny that you should mention the stage, because that is exactly when I surprise most people actually... I am a jazz saxophonist when I switch hats, which sort of shocks people that know me in the 'real' workplace. I also play bass but (most of the time) that goes with the 'wallpaper' persona. That is the only time I am comfortable being in front of a large group, and musicians are really the only group of people so far that I have found I can immediately and unreservedly be myself around. It is unfortunate that this is who I actually "am" because it sure is a hard way to make a living, so I am stuck with the day job I suppose Angry

Of course I will try and remember and adhere to your request that I not quote an entire post of yours, and *I* apologize in advance if I forget! If I do rest assured it was not intentional. I look forward to speaking with you all; this seems like a really great community.
Edited by TheGreyMan on October 30 2011 05:14 AM
Grey

Unnoticed since the '90s

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on November 03 2011 10:52 AM

11/3/11
Hi GreyMan,
So nice to hear back from you. I'm taking three college courses and we are in the last stretch to finish the semester, so I haven't dared to even look at this forum for the past few days. That's really funny that I nailed it about you going up on stage and surprizing people, and you being a saxaphone player. Loved it.

Yesterday, I attended (part of) a lecture on linguistics. The lecturer mentioned Korean and their very logical writing system. I raised my hand and commented on this, as I do know (about a year's worth oif) Korean. After that lecture, the only two Korean people in the audience rushed to come meet me. We quickly found common ground and in a flurry of excitement exchanged contact info before parting. The lady's husband is American and is trying to learn Korean, so apparently I'm to be his 'example' that it can be done. Anyway, my public 'comment' at that lecture turned me into a bit of a celebrity for a few minutes at that linguistics lecture. Fun to do, once in a while, isn't it?

Thanks for not quoting me. Yes, I forget a lot, too,... especially when it's some 'habit' that I'm having to break. Glad you've found us here. - jus'

Ladyhawke
#9 Print Post
Posted on December 12 2011 02:55 AM

Hi GreyMan,

I definitely related to your initial post. I have also kept my problem hidden from public view as much as possible. I used to get my daughters to add up the groceries in the checkout line as a sort of game so I wouldn't be caught unawares when the cashier asked for the money owing. People listening would think I was only trying to improve their math skills! lol

With respect to the job situation, I would definitely think twice before "outing" yourself on the job. I know for a fact that I would lose my job immediately if I admitted to having Dyscalculia. The profession I am in demands perfection and although doing client accounts is only a small part of the job, they would never like the thought that I had the potential to make a terrible mistake on someone's bill. Due to the networking that goes on within the industry that I work in, it would also be the kiss of death for that career too, and in this economy, getting another position in any field is a crapshoot at best it seems. So, it certainly is something to consider before you out yourself.

Best of luck to you!

Ladyhawke Smile

TheGreyMan
#10 Print Post
Posted on December 14 2011 07:58 PM

Thank you, Ladyhawke - I have certainly been approaching the potential confession of my numbers problems with a lot of caution... and I most likely won't ever admit to it to be honest. I hate that I can't muster up the courage to do it, but I just really believe that there would be those that would use that as a means of attacking me and my work. Sad but true.

Thanks for your input on the situation. Hopefully I will be in a position to work for myself soon, and this will all be moot! Welcome, by the way! I see you've joined during one of my inevitable "dropout" periods. I say this as a relatively "new guy" but it's good to see the forum picking up so many new faces!
Grey

Unnoticed since the '90s

Jump to Forum: