Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
Anybody have any funny Dyscalculia stories?
Tamsin
#1 Print Post
Posted on October 10 2011 02:01 AM

I would like to create a thread to show that Dyscalculia doesn't have to be all bad. Does anybody have a funny story relating to Dyscalculia? Maybe you thought you were calling a friend to tell them something embarrassing, and, after you said told the embarrassing story you found out it was a total stranger you called because you mixed up the numbers? Or maybe you were on your way to an important place and became hopelessly lost? Maybe something happened that you didn't find funny at the time but can now look back and laugh?
Aspie

Imayhavedyscalculia
#2 Print Post
Posted on October 10 2011 02:22 AM

Ooh! ooh! I have one! ok, so one time I was taking a test for school and the teacher told the person on your right to grade it. so when i looked at the paper i went blank! so..I kinda just guessed and put down what I thought was the answers...and guess what! I got a 60!! lol! I was sooo embarresd!

Imayhavedyscalculia
#3 Print Post
Posted on October 10 2011 02:23 AM

Sorry for my grammer heehee (blushing). I sometimes forget things in grammer lol.

squeakymonster
#4 Print Post
Posted on October 10 2011 02:54 AM

I have a few. hehe There was the time I got so lost at camp that it took me a half an hour in the dark to figure out my way back to where I was supposed to be. Boy was Star mad! Then, there was the time that Ride asked me to do something, and I wrote down the time backward and was ridiculously late to do it. She found it funny once she realized what I had done, but before that, she wasn't too happy. And who can forget giving my cousin the combination to my locker so she could store something in it, and putting down the direction to turn the dial in the wrong order? She knows that with my sense of direction, I usually do that kind of thing and to reverse the order I told her and it opened right up.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

Kathy
#5 Print Post
Posted on October 11 2011 05:55 AM

Just one of my "funny stories" I saw a cocatoo in a too small cage in the snow with no cover!! (yes it does snow in Australia) as this poor little bird had been sufferring for a week in appalling conditions I decided i couldn't stand it any more and that it needed reporting! so after getting the phone number of the animal shelter called the RSPCA over here - I phoned. As I climbed up on my soap box and proceeded to report my findings- I ranted, raved, cried a little - then after 30 minutes finally I stopped to draw indignant breath, a nice quiet gentleman on the end of the phone said "I see...and yes I agree...but perhaps you should ring the RSPCA. Smile Got to love phone numbers!!!
Albert Einstein said: "Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count!."

RottieWoman
#6 Print Post
Posted on October 11 2011 04:57 PM

Kathy, that was so kind what you tried to do for that little birdSmile
I think this thread is a good idea. Don't happen to have any funny stories I can think of right now, just bland, usual, matter-of-fact experiences I'm sure we all have many of.
But if I think of any specifically for here, I'll be backSmile

Imayhavedyscalculia
#7 Print Post
Posted on October 11 2011 08:55 PM

Awww! poor birdy! lol. OOOH I LOVE AUSTRAILIA!! Is it pretty there? do u like it? lol. do u have an accent? Sorry I LOVE austrailia lol XD

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on October 12 2011 04:09 AM

10/11/11
I'm with you on that, Imay. I love to hear the Australian accent. - jus'

This is recent, and not too funny, but it's mine and it's true. Next door to my Painting studio, at college, is the Painting studio used by the Advanced class. I met a girl in that class, got her name, admired her artwork, and left. Later, at home, I found some unusual materials that I thought she might use in her style of artwork. I took them to school, and left them in her (open) cubby. I wrote a note, addressed to her, Robin, letting her know that I was the one who had left the materials there for her, and I stuck the note on the materials. Later, the note had been moved, but someone else told me that the name of the girl who works at that slot is named "Jessica', not "Robin". When I appologized to her for getting her name wrong, she said, "Oh, that's all right. I knew that you meant it for me when I saw the note. You'd called me 'Robin' a couple of times on the day that we first met." - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on October 12 2011 04:09 AM

Tamsin
#9 Print Post
Posted on October 12 2011 08:33 PM

Rottie- I don't have many funny stories either, but I like to hear other peoples funny stories. Sometimes sharing a funny story helps better than crying and getting angry. At least I find that to be true.
Aspie

squeakymonster
#10 Print Post
Posted on October 13 2011 12:53 AM

Funny stories definitely help with bad days!

RottieWoman
#11 Print Post
Posted on October 13 2011 06:02 PM

I agree with you TamsinSmile and now I have a funny story!

I work out 5-6 days a week doing various things - interval training, tai chi <or other martial arts if I get a chance> and lots of Zumba. I go to where I can find the Zumba since it is so popular and I have a very hectic schedule. Today I went to Zumba at a different location than I've been to before. I used their bathroom several times for changing etc. The bathroom reminded me of one of those "fun houses" or "house of mirrors" in terms of logistics, on a very miniscule scale - how the point of those attractions is that the participants don't quite know which way is "up" or "down" and things could be distorted or kinda "maze-like"? Well, having never been to the location for this Zumba, EVERY time I went into the bathroom it was like one of those "fun houses" in a way cuz the bathroom consisted of the main entry room <to which there was a door> , and then another doorway and two stalls. One stall has toilet; the other one had all the hardware but no toilet - empty stall. Then at arm's length in a different direction was yet another door that led to a hallway to which there was a different door. This latter description re: "arm's length" was NOT the way you actually you entered and exited the bathroom, but appeared to be part of back offices. So I kept getting turned around with all these doors and kept opening and closing the wrong onePfft

here's a nice story: I got coffee after at a small, local, family-owned coffee shop. I had a bunch of change scooped up from a table on my way out of the house earlier. I had great difficulty with the change and kept getting confused some of it and lost my count. Finally I just handed the clerk the change and explained, laughing a bit - I have a learning disability and suck at math, could you count this? She was very kind and smiled and counted it a loud for me and proclaimed I had just enough, kindly and with a smile. She was very patient and jovial and I said how I appreciated that and the shop <I'd been there before> and this kind of thing was part of why I kept coming back.
So it was niceGrin
Edited by RottieWoman on October 13 2011 06:04 PM

Mohinga
#12 Print Post
Posted on October 15 2011 10:01 AM

I have plenty of funny stories, but here's a recent one..
We (my son and I, husband will be following us later) recently moved back to mum's huge place.
I lived in the area for 17 years before moving in with my husband and believe that I know my way around, but last week I had to realize that I don't.
My boy just started school and wanted to show me the "forest" where they spend a school day once a week so he, my mum and I packed some food and took off.
Finding the place was easy and I might even have been able to find my way home had we gone back the same way, but Son insisted that we must see some of the things the kids found so we ended up going somewhere else.
Getting a call from husband didn't exactly help my sense of direction so in the end mum took over, pointed towards the sun and told me that north was that way so we'd have to go south to get home.
We made it home, but my son and I will be going alone from now on..
I'm a violin so stop trying to make me sound like a piano!!

Dyscalculia doesn't bother me as much as all the nasty accessories that came with it

CheshireKat
#13 Print Post
Posted on October 15 2011 04:02 PM

I've told this story a few times before, but it's still one of my best so I'll share it again. Smile

A few years ago we took a family trip to Vermont. We were trying to find a particular town (in the state of Vermont) so my mom handed me the map of the state of Vermont and said, "Here, you find it and tell me where to go." My mom knows how bad I am with directions, but she has always been of the school of thought that you have to be "thrown into the deep end" to learn how to swim, so to speak. So this was her idea of a learning experience for me, to finally make me learn how to read a map.

I did my best and I really thought we were going the right way... so we drove, and drove, and drove. There aren't many landmarks in Vermont because it is a very sparsely-populated state, so it took quite a while before we came upon any sort of town at all.

My mom asked me where we were, and I told her, "Hell if I know, I just told you what direction to go in, I don't know where we are." She got frustrated and we stopped at a Subway since we were hungry anyway and figured it would be a good place to ask for directions.

We asked the guy behind the counter, "How do you get to X town?" He gave us a kind of funny look and said, "Well, first you have to get back on the interstate and drive for about an hour until you're back in Vermont..."

My mom cut him off and said, "Wait, back in Vermont? Where are we??"

He gave us a look like we were extremely stupid, sort of smiled, and said, "New Hampshire." Needless to say, that was the last time my family ever asked me to read a map or give directions! But at least now I can say I've been to New Hampshire, whether it was intentional or not. Grin
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

FeatherQuill
#14 Print Post
Posted on October 15 2011 05:43 PM

I think it was recption (kindergarden?) and I was intoduced the multiplication table. Needless to say I was struggling to understand how the whole concept worked, I hadn't twigged that it was just adding up the same number mutiple times.

One of the answers was 24, I went to my teacher she says that's good just keep doing what you did there. Grin Teachers you should be more specific or that child will come back with 100 24's Pfft

Tamsin
#15 Print Post
Posted on October 15 2011 09:06 PM

CheshireKat- That reminds me of a trip I took last year with a friend of a friend. We were driving from Washington to Kentucky to go see vaulting at WEG (World Equestrian Games) which were in Lexington last year. Like the Olympics it is every 4 years and it was the first time it had ever been held anywhere outside of Europe so I bought my tickets thinking this may be the only time I will ever see it.

This was before I had even heard of Dyscalculia. On the way she would have me read maps to help of find our way. I have been saying for years that I can't read maps. I have been shown how but they just don't make sense. To me they are pictures of lines and that's about all, but I didn't know how to explain that to her, so when she had me read the map I would try because I didn't want to seem stupid. Besides she was driving the whole way so I had to help somehow.

Eventually we got there on time but she seemed frustrated. Probably because every time she handed me a map I either guessed or would take so long that she would have to pull over and read it herself. One time we were trying to find our way back to the highway and I ended up giving her the directions backwards, so things that were supposed to be on our right were on our left and things that were supposed to be behind us were in front of us. I think she knew we were going the wrong way but was too tired to argue. Needless to say I won't be going on trips with her again!

The thing I found the funniest was that she is Dyslexic but had no trouble reading maps and was actually getting mad at me for not being able to read them. Oh if only I knew then what I know now.
Aspie

LieutenantBlueBerry
#16 Print Post
Posted on October 16 2011 07:45 AM

Mine is pretty recent. I work the night shift at a little convenience store on campus and don't get off until around 2 am. I ride my bike to and from and lock it up with a combination lock. Now, I have been riding this bike for three years with the same combination on the lock. I use the last four digits of my social security number because they have a really nice easy to remember pattern to them. I use them for lots of things over the years as they are one of the few strings of numbers that I can reliably remember.
Well, the other night after a particularly trying shift, I walked out to my bike and grabbed the lock only to completely forget the combination. And I do mean completely. I could not for the life of me remember any numbers that were in it, the pattern I use to remember it, the first part of my ssn, nothing. It took me a good five minutes of standing and staring before the numbers finally came back to me. A good thing too, because I was considering just leaving it there at that point. I had a good laugh about it on the bike ride back.

I don't have any specific stories besides that, but my friends have long since learned when asking me directions to turn where I point, not where I say. I often will point left while saying right, or point right while saying left. It's frustrating to people who have never driven with me before, but to my friends it's just funny!

RottieWoman
#17 Print Post
Posted on October 16 2011 04:12 PM

LtBlueberry, your whole post just now SO reminds me of MESmile

CheshireKat
#18 Print Post
Posted on October 16 2011 06:56 PM

BlueBerry, I had something similar happen to me yesterday! I've had the same library card number since I was 7 years old, and I have it memorized just by virtue of having entered it in by hand to use the library computers so many times. It has a "jingle" in my head that I say it to in my head when I'm entering it, that way when I forget my card and the librarian asks me what my card number is, I can say it out loud to that jingle and remember it.

Yesterday I was trying to remember my card number, and for the life of me I could not remember it. I tried singing the jingle, but the tune wouldn't come to me, and without the tune I cannot remember the numbers. I tried entering it in on my computer, thinking that maybe the muscle memory would bring it back to me even if I couldn't remember the tune. Nope, nothing.

And just now, when I wondered if I could remember my card number today even though I couldn't remember it 24 hours ago... sure enough, I remember it again. Jingle and everything. So funny how the brain works sometimes... and by funny I mean mostly annoying, lol.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

squeakymonster
#19 Print Post
Posted on October 16 2011 10:01 PM

Blueberry, I have been told by a cousin that I am no longer allowed to verbalize directions, I must "just shut up and point" so I don't get us hopelessly lost.

Tamsin
#20 Print Post
Posted on October 16 2011 10:31 PM

BlueBerry- Been there done that! I still sometimes forget which is my left side and which is my right side, so sometimes I will give someone directions and I say left instead of right. Now I try to point out the way.

Something like that happened a few months ago. Back in May of this year I got some kind of infection on my leg and my mother took me to the emergency room to have it checked out. When the receptionist asked what leg it was on (my right leg) I actually had to look down at my legs and then my hands to remember. I looked at my hands because I am right handed and even if I forget which side is which I always know which hand I write with and I know that I am right handed, so I have to stick my right hand out sometimes to remember which is left and which is right. If that makes any sense. I just hoped nobody noticed that I couldn't tell which leg it was on!

When I was younger and I couldn't tell left from right at all when somebody asked me which hand I wrote with I would stick out my right hand and not say anything because I didn't know if it was my left hand or right hand that I wrote with. Even when I was 10 I still couldn't tell. But that's not a funny story at all!
Aspie

Jump to Forum: