Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 11

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Speach and thinking problems?
Imayhavedyscalculia
#1 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 04:21 AM

I`m back! lol. I was wondering, does dyscalculia sometimes mess with your speach and thoughts? Alot of times i jsut randomly blank out. And I mean completely! like, i have to ask people to repeat what they say if they are talking to me. And when I speak, alot of times I stutter. Like for instance- the other day i was talking to my brother and i accedently said " cl-cl-cl-clean!" and sometimes i think someone said something to me and say " wait what did you say?" and they actually didn`t say anything. sorry this is so long! thanks for reading! - I may

Imayhavedyscalculia
#2 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 04:23 AM

oops! I meant speech!

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 04:48 AM

10/8/11
Imayhavedyscalculia,
I have more forgetfulness now than I used to. But, if you are a young person, and if this has come on quickly,... that's a bit alarming. Forgive me for suggesting this, as I have no medical knowledge or training at all, but the possibility of a tumor occurs to me. Might you get further physical testing? - jus'

Imayhavedyscalculia
#4 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 05:12 AM

hello. Yes i am young. 13 in fact. I don`t think its a tumor... as long as I can remeber i have done this. My dad and sister do it if they are reading something. Idk. I hope its not a tumor. Thank you for reading and replying Smile I have never been to a docter...( i was born at home). I guess I will find out when I go to get a physical for a docters referrel. thank you!

Imayhavedyscalculia
#5 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 05:17 AM

An issue with this is that my parents aren`t the kind of people who you can say " hey mom i think i have a brain tumor" explain your symptoms and they will be like " nah your probably fine I think your just tired". so...yeah. The only reason why they beleived I might have Dyscalculia is because they found out about the disorder in the first place. thank u!

eoffg
#6 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 06:04 AM

Administrator

Imay, please ignore the ridiculous and ignorant suggestion of a tumor.

Imayhavedyscalculia
#7 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 06:09 AM

oh no no no! It`s ok! I was glad someone mentioned it to me! i looked it up and I only have like 3 symptoms of a tumor (phew). I will still be caustious of ipossible signs. but i apreciate you replying! thank you!

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 07:02 PM

10/9/11
It's good that you've learned to do research on whatever you are curious about. You were born at home and you've never been to a doctor. Are your parents inclined toward using natural remedies whenever possible? I just now came across an online article saying that strokes in young children, though very rare, can cause difficulty finding words and learning disabilities. The site has approval from Australia's Victorian government's department of health. You might as well read about 'stroke', too, while you are at it. ;) - jus'
http://www.better...ldren?open

Imayhavedyscalculia
#9 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 08:19 PM

hello! yes. My parents use home remedies and natural cures for everything! My grandma works a natural health store, so she helps us. Wouldn`t I know if I had a stroke though? Thank you again!

Imayhavedyscalculia
#10 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 08:28 PM

Hmm... The only symptoms i would have of a stroke are 1) speech (2 dyscalculia 3) blanking out. I do need glasses...but Idt that would be conected to stroke because my dad and moms side both have glasses. I do get dizzy sometimes..but I don`t eat very healthy.. ( Blushing)...well, maybe my DR will find something....idk. Hopefully not. thank you!!!

justfoundout
#11 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 08:41 PM

10/9/11
You're welcome! That's so cool that your grandma works at a natural health store. Yes, you would probably know if you'd had a stroke. But the link says, "Most cases occur in children under two years of age.", so if it happens when a child is so young, there might not be a memory of it. And, many strokes are not huge events.

There are herbs that support the strengthening of blood vessels. I've taken these herbs myself. Your grandmother might know of something along these lines that you could take. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on October 09 2011 08:46 PM

heathermomster
#12 Print Post
Posted on October 09 2011 10:53 PM

Hi there,

As a young child, DS stuttered occasionally. He would get very excited and be unable to find the words he needed to speak. To this day, he will mispronounce a word with something that sounds very similar. These symptoms are consistent with his dyslexia.

Due to slow processing speed and poor working memory, I could readily see a person stuttering on occasion and forgetting. At your age, certain facts and information probably don't interest you.

An assessment from a qualified tester would benefit you.

Imayhavedyscalculia
#13 Print Post
Posted on October 10 2011 01:52 AM

Thank you heathermomster! I will try and see what we can do test wise. thank you all who answered!

RottieWoman
#14 Print Post
Posted on October 11 2011 04:16 PM

I don't know if for me - or in general - speech issues and math LD are directly intertwined but I was born several months prematurely and had speech and language problems for which I was in Special Ed for many years. Speech still does not come easily to me and I tend to prefer to use my hands.

Speech issues are often an early "soft sign" that a child may eventually develop learning disabilities.

squeakymonster
#15 Print Post
Posted on October 11 2011 06:00 PM

I was in 10th grade before I learned to read out loud without stuttering.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

LieutenantBlueBerry
#16 Print Post
Posted on October 16 2011 07:22 AM

I've always had problems with speech and hearing. I also tend to stutter and stumble over words and have to ask people to repeat things several times because my brain refused to sort what they said into anything comprehensible. Blanking out is not unusual for me either. When I got my diagnosis, I noticed that in the breakdown of the scores I had comparatively low processing speed, working memory, and oral language scores. So I chalk the speech and hearing problems up to that. I think it does have something to do with dyscalculia, since poor processing speed and working memory can contribute to problems with math. Or at least that was the impression I got.

Jump to Forum: