Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 10

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Is testing for adults different than for children?
Tamsin
#1 Print Post
Posted on June 07 2011 03:45 AM

Hi all! A few days ago I was talking with a woman who has Dyslexia. I was telling her about getting tested and she said that I should make sure the test is for adults as the symptoms can be different. I know testing for adult ADD, which I have, is different than for child ADD. It seems that, over the years our LD brains develop ways of coping, so symptoms that may be present in children may not be present, or may look different in adult brains because they have had years to find different solutions. Plus adults have different sets of problems that children don't have, which may cause the same traits to appear different. Anyway, just wondering if I should request an adult only test for Dyscalculia. Do they even have adult only tests?

And I have found somebody to test me. I am just waiting for a weekend appointment.

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on June 07 2011 06:28 AM

6/6/11
Dear Tamsin,
The professional who will test you should know what test to give you. It goes according to 'age', so you won't be given the wrong test. However, some professionals turn out to be better than others at assessing the tests. My first one was a Ph.D. Psychologist, and yet, she didn't take into consideration what I told her about myself as having had trouble with math as far back as when I tried to learn my times tables. She only 'went by' the disparity in my test scores, which wasn't sufficient by itself to require that she give me the dyscalculia diagnosis. Later, when I was re-tested, I got an Educational Psychologist Ph. D. who was experienced in testing adults for LD's. It was such a blessing to finally be tested by someone who understood LD's. And, he gave me the diagnosis.

You'll probably be given the Wechsler for adults. I didn't even know what test I was given until I asked the DARS Agent who had my paperwork. Yes, you've probably learned many ways of coping, which makes it more difficult to identify the LD. I hope that you'll have no problem at all. And we'll all be hoping to hear back from you about it. - jus'

Tamsin
#3 Print Post
Posted on June 15 2011 12:21 AM

Okay, well I might have asked this before, but is there a certain test I should ask for? I made an appointment to meet with an educational psychologist next Thursday, but, as I am going to be tested for three different things, I am not sure that I am going to be able to be tested for Dyscalculia next week. My goal is to get tested for it this summer, as college starts in the fall.

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on June 15 2011 02:08 AM

6/14/11
Dear Tamsin,
The Wechsler IQ test will test you in many areas. Even though I wanted to be tested for dyscalculia, they gave me the same test that they would have given many other people. Only months later was I given tests that were specific to dyscalculia. That last testing was 4 math tests off of the Woodcock Johnson test. Both the Wechsler and the Woodcock Johnson are good tests. Other valid tests exist, but they are declining in use these days, at least in the US. Yes, I hope that you'll have your documentation ready for Fall semester. - jus'

RottieWoman
#5 Print Post
Posted on June 15 2011 11:30 AM

I personally - if I had not gotten tested when/how I did and was looking at it for now - would actually clarify with any potential tester that they really have much experience testing for and actually diagnosing math LD in adults. From a schooling standpoint, I guess I'd think most <not all> testers would know enough from a professional ideological sense to be able to literally determine what tests to give an adult but I would want someone who actually had personal experience finding math LD in adults < as opposed to only having seen adults with dyslexia, for example>. I'd ask them - how many adults with only or specifically math LD have you actually diagnosed?
It's the same idea as testing for CAPD - most audi.'s have heard of CAPD in their learning and can say - yeah, I took a class in that, or - I've heard of that ....but don't have the wisdom of personal experience.
Just my thoughts-

justfoundout
#6 Print Post
Posted on June 15 2011 02:21 PM

6/15/11
I agree, RW. I told my DARS Counselor that I wanted to be tested for dyscalculia. When I got to the psychologist's office, rather than it being the Ph.D. psychologist administering the test, it was a grad student from a college, who was working under the psychologist. The grad student was probably doing an internship. I asked the grad student if she knew what I was there to be tested 'for', and she said that the DARS Counselor had said that I wanted to be tested for dyscalculia. I never even met the actual Ph.D. psychologist until I was on my way out the door. I believe that the grad student did a good job in administering most parts of the test. However, she did not take down my history correctly and she wasn't well prepared for administering the math portion of the test. She didn't have a watch or clock that could easily time that section, and had to go find something to time me with. In the end, that testing did not render the dyscalculia diagnosis, so I had to be re-tested, more precisely, later,... by a different psychologist who was experienced in testing for dyscalculia.

On this forum previously, several members said that they wouldn't 'tell a psychologist' what they wanted to be tested for, but would, rather, just say that they were having some problems and wanted to be tested to find out what might be wrong. Since I had just gotten through telling what had happened to me, the implication seemed to be that, regarding the mis-diagnosis, I had brought it on myself by stating from the beginning that I wanted to be tested for dyscalculia. Though I didn't argue with the other forum members at that time, I disagreed with their perception that we should just 'keep quite' about our reason for wanting to be tested. We are requesting a professional service when we go to be tested. We wouldn't go to a lawyer who has no experience in 'intellectual property rights' for a case of copyright infringement. We wouldn't go to a eye surgeon for an appendectomy. Yes, it would be nice if we could find out something about the psychologist's experience with dyscalculia before going through this expensive and time and energy-consuming proceedure.

Thanks for that thought, RW. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on June 18 2011 12:20 AM

RottieWoman
#7 Print Post
Posted on June 17 2011 03:40 PM

oh, no problem, 'jus

I certainly agree that we asking for professional, specific advice that will make such a great impact - for me, it's like any other thing for which I'd be seeking "experts" - I want to know, WHAT makes them experts? Why should I consider their service? I don't want to waste my time. Now, I can also see why when in college, maybe some people don't have the "experience" or the determination to be direct like that. This was the case for me and why I often write how I'd do it differently today. But for me, it seems that could be one of the ways Disabled Student Services can assist students - learn how to advocate for oneself NOT ONLY after the LD diagnosis - but when learning about the possibility and discussing what will happen with the potential tester.

That first experience you had seems like it was pretty disheartening and difficult - it's really a shame that in order to augment someone else's education <the grad student>, the system then seems to dis-enfranchise another student....
Edited by RottieWoman on June 17 2011 03:41 PM

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on June 18 2011 12:31 AM

6/17/11
Right. Exactly that. And it was actually even worse than that, because my 'acceptance' of that mis-diagnosis and compliance with that first Ph. D's 'plan' for me was a requirement in order for the Vocational Rehab agency to give me any further assistance. - jus

Tamsin
#9 Print Post
Posted on June 19 2011 04:22 AM

Well the man I am seeing on Thursday is somebody I have seen before. He tested me for several other things, but that was when I was 16 and not an adult. Actually, the reason I chose him was because I had already met and liked him. Well, that and because the list my college gave me only had three local doctors on it.

justfoundout
#10 Print Post
Posted on June 19 2011 08:45 PM

6/19/11
Hi Tamsin,
Did he tell you which test he'll be using? - jus'

Nagano
#11 Print Post
Posted on July 01 2011 07:11 AM

I didn't even know what test I was given until I asked the DARS Agent who had my paperwork. Yes, you've probably learned many ways of coping, which makes it more difficult to identify the LD.

Edited by eoffg on July 01 2011 07:52 AM

justfoundout
#12 Print Post
Posted on July 01 2011 04:15 PM

7/1/11
"Nagano"'s above post is just something he has copied and pasted from my above post,... nothing original. - jus'

Jump to Forum: