Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 11

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,048
· Newest Member: Nicki Holmes

View Thread

Print Thread
I Finally Got my Results!!!
squeakymonster
#1 Print Post
Posted on May 09 2011 08:25 PM

After waiting what seems to be FOREVER, I finally have my results. I am dyscalculic with visual-spatial impairment, poor working memory, and borderline compulsive. The therapist was very interested in learning about the forum, so I gave her the website. She thinks she'll use it for other dyscalculics to help them find a support network. Smile I now have the answers I needed, and I am able to get accommodations at school in the fall, which makes me happy.

Thanks for all the support. This part of the journey is over, now just to figure out how to tell my profs and others that need to know. EEEK!
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

RottieWoman
#2 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2011 01:40 PM

whew, squeaky! I'm glad you are happy! what do you think now that you know for sure?

squeakymonster
#3 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2011 08:21 PM

Well Rotti, to be honest, I suspected the dyscaluclia to begin with, so that wasn't a shock at all. The poor working memory, borderline compulsiveness, and the visual-spatial impairment were more of a surprise. I'm getting used to it. My mom took it way better than I thought she would. She didn't talk about it much, but she now knows, and that's good. At least she didn't get mad. I also spoke to my father for the first time in months and told him. He took it well, all things considered. It gives me some confidence in telling my profs. The therapist strongly encouraged me to tell my bosses at work this year, after I've been hired. I don't know how to tell them, or how far up I should report it. I'm very nervous about it, but it could help to give me an idea of what to say to my profs in the fall. So, kind of not caught off guard, some of it's still sinking in.

tr3slunas
#4 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2011 09:31 PM

Hi Squeaky, so glad to hear you got your results!! It must be a relief to finally know - would you mind very much if I am a little nosey?

I am interested in what your therapist picked up in the visual spatial area... were you given a verbal IQ and a performance/ non verbal IQ on the WAIS? Was there any discrepancy between the two scores?
Count me in! Wink

squeakymonster
#5 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2011 09:44 PM

tr3slunas: I was given the Clinical Interview, WAIS 4, WRAT 4, WIAT 3, CPT IIV.5 (no clue WHAT that means...), Beck Anxiety Inventory and Depression Inventory (to rule out all other causes of my issues) and Personality Assessment Inventory (again, to rule out all other causes).

Part of the reason I was diagnosed with Visual-Spatial Impairment is because I have never learned to read a map, and, on the tests, my Perceptual Reasoning IQ was borderline impaired, mixed with an inability to complete certain tests correctly (making diagrams with the blocks match the pictures) in the WAIS 4 test. I had a massive discrepancy between this, the math, and the verbal part. Some of these items, I was borderline or impaired. Verbal Comprehension was High Average, Perceptual Reasoning and Working Memory were borderline, Processing Speed was Average. Significant discrepancies existed when comparing any of the subtests to sentence comprehension. One had a 32 point discrepancy, another a 34 point discrepancy, and the last one had a 42 point discrepancy. I was also found to have atypical results in my CPT 2 test. My disorganization, which came up in my interview and in the testing also showed visual-spatial impairment.

Hope that helps!

In other news, I just e-mailed my boss from last year, since she's still there and could possibly help me figure out who all I need to tell at my seasonal place of employment. It was one of the hardest e-mails I've ever sent, but I feel better now that I've told her. I asked for her advice as far as who to tell and how to go about it, because this is the first time I've ever had to do this, and I'm a little freaked out by the process. It's one of those things where I'm relieved to have the diagnosis, but now the "now what" and "reality" is starting to set in. It's a little overwhelming at the moment, especially the non-dyscalculia stuff, but I'll get through it. Ride now knows what's going on, and hopefully, she'll have some ideas. If nothing else, it's the first time I've had to explain it to a supervisor. I really wish she was going to be the director again this year, but she isn't, so I'll have to tell someone else. At least the e-mail helped me figure out the words to say, and I feel safe telling Ride.
Edited by squeakymonster on May 10 2011 09:47 PM

Forever
#6 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2011 10:01 PM

I hope that it is just start for U to help U Smile It's good news to be diagnosed, I remember when I was, what a relief... Wink Take care of yourself!

tr3slunas
#7 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2011 10:11 PM

Thanks Squeaky, I sent you a PM,
and well done for getting the courage to email your former boss Smile
Count me in! Wink

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on May 11 2011 04:38 AM

5/10/11
Dear Squeaky,
You'll give your documetation to the Office for Student with Disabilities. They will put it in their file. After you enroll in your classes, you'll go to the Disability Office and pick up large manilla envelopes, one for each of your professors. The Disability office will write what accommodations you are allowed to have on that sheet of paper. You'll take those to each of your professors on the first or second day of class. If your process turns out to be different from my process in Texas, please let me know? - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on May 11 2011 12:56 PM

Pirullinen
#9 Print Post
Posted on May 11 2011 08:27 AM

Squeaky: That's amazing, congratulations!
I was really excited to see what happened with you because I got tested just a few days after you did, I'll probably get my results soon then!
Like you said, you already knew that you had a problem, but it must still be a relief to have that piece of paper that you can show people. So happy for you! Grin
It probably will take some time to let all the info sink in, but once you're over that you can move forward and really use that piece of paper to your advantage Smile
Edited by Pirullinen on May 11 2011 08:29 AM

RottieWoman
#10 Print Post
Posted on May 11 2011 12:42 PM

what happened with me after my results was that I met with DVR counselor and at a different time, the Disabled Student Services counselor. The DSS counselor had copies of my results and set up a file in his office. I had an accommodations form to take to my teachers but most of my class syllabi already mentioned that if you had a disability and required accommodations, to please advise the professor as soon as possible.

justfoundout
#11 Print Post
Posted on May 11 2011 01:04 PM

5/11/11
Last year, each of the sheets that were in the manilla envelope had to be addressed to the specific teacher that I was supposed to deliver it to. Also, the sheet had to state exactly which class I was taking with that teacher. In fact, I had the same teacher for both my Biology Lecture and my Biology Lab, so she got two accommodations sheets! But this all changed this Spring semester, when the Disability Office got new software. I found this out when I tried to tell the Head of Disability Services that I'd changed one class to a different teacher on a different Campus of the same college. That was when she told me that 'it didn't matter', because now none of the sheets contain the teacher's name nor the name of the course. And, in fact, she gave me one 'fat' envelope with copies of everything I'd given her for my file, telling me that 'those are your documents and your accommodations, and you should have copies of them'. This was a huge change (and improvement) from two years ago, when I'd had a conflict with a different Head of Disability Services, at a different campus, who intentionally made it difficult for me to get to see part of my own information. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on May 11 2011 05:25 PM

squeakymonster
#12 Print Post
Posted on May 11 2011 04:38 PM

Wow Jus', thanks for the warning-packing large baseball bat for Students With Disabilities Office. I'm planning on the first week of classes having "The Talk" with all of my profs, no matter how uncomfortable this will be. I've started by telling my friends and a few people at church, and the e-mail to my former boss (in part because I've never had to tell an employer about my disability, and as an employer who I know actually gives a rat's tail about me), I thought maybe she'd have some ideas. The problem is, since she's not the director this year, I don't know how often she's checking her e-mail, so it might be a while. After all the times she was ready to pound her head against a wall after dealing with me, I figured now that I have an explanation, it was the least I could do.

And yes Jus', if I need help, I know you're just an e-mail away. Smile

Kestrel6
#13 Print Post
Posted on May 11 2011 06:23 PM

Excellent!
Blessed are the PURR in heart!

http://twicetoldtails.googlepages.com
squeakymonster
#14 Print Post
Posted on May 12 2011 07:37 PM

My boss last year now understands more of WHY I didn't always make sense last year, which is good. She said to tell the director's boss. I think I'll wait until after I have the job. I still don't know how to do it. I guess there are just some things that I won't be able to figure out how to do until I do them. It's frustrating. Maybe if I just tell her exactly what I told Ride? Groan! I guess just taking it one day and one person at a time to let people know what's going on.

I've got my results, but now I also have a whole new can of worms to deal with. How do I make people see I'm still me, just with a piece of paper that explains why I do some of the things I do?

justfoundout
#15 Print Post
Posted on May 13 2011 12:44 AM

5/12/11
Dear Squeaky,
Yes, it's something new to learn to deal with, but also to 'use'. Most of the time, people who know anything at all about the ADA will force themselves to be pleasant, even if they are really pretty much clueless. There will be a few who, because their cousin's daughter is dyslexic, and green paper helps her, will think that you just need to 'try different colors' and you'll be able to do Algebra! This was one of the most frustrating circumstances that I've ever encountered. I'm amazed that I let it 'get to me'. But there will only be a minuscule percentage of people who show truly anti-social behavior 'because they can'. We can only hope that those few people are not our 'boss' or someone who we have to please every day. I hope that you'll get back every ounce of effort that you put into getting tested, and that your diagnosis will provide a pavement to smooth out the bumps in the road. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on May 13 2011 12:45 AM

squeakymonster
#16 Print Post
Posted on May 13 2011 09:06 PM

Thanks Jus'. I know I'm getting help at school, not sure if telling my employer will change anything other than they know that I'm LD. The real challenge will be how my profs and my academic adviser take it in August. If nothing else, I have proof that I'm not crazy, and that's worth something. On the other hand, if I still have to take the teaching exams without help, I could very well have a hard time succeeding in my program.

justfoundout
#17 Print Post
Posted on May 14 2011 03:53 AM

5/13/11
Dear Squeaky,
I don't know if I've mentioned this to you, perhaps in a PM, but when I told my (very lovely, and very helpful) Head of Disability Services at my soon-to-be Uni that I would like to be a Teacher, but that Texas requires teachers to have College Algebra on their transcript,... she quietly said, "Alternative Certification." and nodded. It looks like you and I understood only too well all those links that we poured over. It's either pass College Algebra or be a 'teacher version' of an 'ambulance chaser'. Teachers who only have Alternative Certification are always looking for places where they can fill in a gap. And, without College Algebra, that will be the closest that I can get to being a 'teacher'. At this point, I'll just be glad if I can actually get a Bachelor's degree.

Some good news for me,... but I'll put it here on your Thread. I walked in graduation this evening, for my AA degree. Also, I got three A's on the three courses that I took this semester. I'm worn out, and hope that I'll at least sleep extra-well tonight. - jus'

squeakymonster
#18 Print Post
Posted on May 15 2011 05:23 PM

That's great that you were able to walk and get your AA, Jus'. You might look into "Teach for America" programs after you finish a BA degree. That way, you can meet their requirements, but they could also find a place that might be more open to your unique circumstances.

In other news, I was told that I would be hearing when my interview is to go back to my job by Friday, and I still haven't heard, so yesterday, my compulsive side sent off an e-mail (politely worded) to the lady in charge of the hiring. Hopefully, it won't kill my chances, but I have to know what's going on. Do I have my job still or am I still looking? I don't dare bring up the LD until after I've signed my papers for this year, I know, and that's part of it, because I do feel that if I'm going to tell them, the sooner the better. At the same time, them procrastinating isn't helping me in any way! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Ok, felling better now...

Anyway, good luck Jus'. If you figure out how to get around this, let the rest of us know. You never know what could turn out to be the perfect "cannon" in someone else's war-chest. Pfft

justfoundout
#19 Print Post
Posted on May 16 2011 03:37 PM

5/16/11
I will, Squeaky. Even the fact that my local Uni now has a Head of Disability Services who 'helps' people with disabilities is a big improvement over past years. Things looked very bleak, but I just kept taking classes to finish my AA degree, and now, just when I needed it, my College Algebra credits are being substituted. If I get more info on being a teacher, I'll surely tell you. - jus'

Kathy
#20 Print Post
Posted on May 17 2011 12:58 AM

Hi Squeaky Monster! Congratulations!Smile

I would like to know a little more about alternative certification - somthing that definately does not happen in Australia!

Your symptoms you said: "I am dyscalculic with visual-spatial impairment, poor working memory, and borderline compulsive" - your symptoms are mine. The one I love the best borderline compulsive - I work in libraries and are my books staight? of course they are! Do I struggle with visual-spatial impairment - absolutely especially driving - just something I am aware of and work with. Poor working memory means - write everything down, again and again and read it over and over - this means we are great at making policies and taking notes! so while we already know what we have isn't it nice to know we have itGrin

Take care
Best wishes
kathy
Albert Einstein said: "Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count!."

Jump to Forum: