Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
25 and Finally know whats wrong....
Hera_Caine
#1 Print Post
Posted on May 12 2010 03:42 AM

Hi!

I grew up in a lovely little town with a TINY little school. In kindergarten I was called gifted because I could add, subtract, multiply and divide single digit numbers... Unfortunately, I never got any better than that! By the time the 4th grade came around, I was taking 7th grade english/reading, 8th grade history/social studies and failing math... It never got any easier.

When I moved to arkansas from oklahoma in the 5th grade, They put me in the "gifted and talented" program. I was still failing math. So, they took me out of all the advanced classes and didn't do a darned thing to help me with numbers. I felt like a failure. I would spend nearly 5 hours a night on math homework and still not finish. My teacher would give me 3 extra assignments for each day my homework wasn't completed. Finally, I just quit trying.

When I got into high school, I gave up on everything else too. I excelled in band (as long as no one asked me to read the music because I learned by ear) and choir. I was kicked off the basketball and track teams because of "lack of athletic ability" even though I was an avid runner. I was late for everything, never could recall my day to my grandparents when I got home, always forgot my locker combination and had to have a copy of my class schedule in my pocket because I would forget where to go next. This continued until my sophmore year. I tried out and made the cheerleading squad, was named drum major of the band, was an officer in EVERY club on campus and competed in floriculture for FFA, impromptu speaking for FBLA and textiles for FCCLA.

What changed? I started paying an 8th grader to keep schedule for me. She held on to all my info, reminded me what classes/practices/meets/games I had, and helped keep up with my mandatory notebooks for each class. I was still failing math, but everything else looked good.

Fast forward to now. I joined the navy, couldn't hack it. So, I got married and had kids. I am unorganized, stressed out, and now I am going to college for the first time. I want to be a nurse. (boy am I shooting high! LOL)

No one til my sr year even considered that I might have a problem. But since I was considered "gifted and talented" and had a high iq... there was "nothing they could do". I was called lazy, told I just didn't apply myself, that I wasn't working hard enough... when it was obvious to everyone in my circle that I was working harder than anyone else.

I finally found someone that would help me. In April, I heard about an agency here in arkansas that is funded by the Department of Workforce Education. They help people with disabilities of all shapes and sizes to get through school, and to even get diagnosed! This month on the 25, after a lifetime of doubting myself, I am getting tested. Now I will be able to get help in fixing this! And it only took me three tries to find the place! LOL

Sorry for such a long intro! Now I want to hear all about everyone else!!!

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on May 12 2010 12:34 PM

5/12/10
Dear Hera_Caine,
Glad to meet you. Yes, do that! Go through the Department of Workforce Education to get tested for Mathmatics Disorder and finish your formal education. Locker combinations and class schedules are well-known issues here on this forum. You are not alone. When I was 13, I'd been using the same locker combination for most of the school year,... came back from a long week-end, tried to get my books out of the locker, and went blank on the combination. We all know what you're talking about here! The government agency paid for my testing here in Texas. Go for it, and Best Wishes. - jus'

RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on May 12 2010 12:51 PM

Welcome, Hera_Caine Smile
I was formally diagnosed in college through Division of Voc Rehab., which part of Department of Workforce Development here now. At that time I was continually failing remedial college math.
I well recall the great difficulty I had with the sequence/steps and memorization of locker combo's in middle and high school! Still have issues with that. I was always way above grade level in reading/writing and social studies but way below grade level in math - but given that I was a girl, well-behaved and achieving what I was academically, my issues with math <which over time involved things like clocks, compass directions, Left and Right, etc.> were ignored because - like you - I wasn't trying hard enough or "not interested".
Even THOUGH I was also in Special Education in elementary school for speech and language.

I'm so glad you found a way/place to get tested! Let us know how it goes Smile

ert
#4 Print Post
Posted on May 13 2010 03:04 PM

Welcome to the forum!

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
Lauren38
#5 Print Post
Posted on May 17 2010 07:22 AM

I can relate to so much of your story! I have an appointment with an Educational Psychologist on Wednesday, and I'm really hoping to get things moving in the right direction as well. Good luck with your testing!
"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed."
Booker T. Washington

undazzled
#6 Print Post
Posted on May 17 2010 06:48 PM

Hey Hera, I'm Kat, welcome to the forum! I'm glad to hear that you are finally getting a diagnosis and the help you need to be successful in school. Nursing school will be hard, no doubt, but with the right assistance from your disability advisers and a lot of extra work I bet you can do it. You sound determined, and that's half the battle.

I was in a similar boat as you during school, because I was also pegged as gifted in kindergarten. It wasn't until around 3rd grade that my math deficiency really started to become apparent, even though I had always had problems with basic number sense and recognizing numbers. I was always in the "lowers" math group, but because I was labeled as gifted they never considered the possibility of me being learning disabled. (I honestly don't even know if my school, to this day, knows what dyscalculia is.)

Even as my math skills got worse and worse, they still put me in high school Algebra I Honors in 8th grade because I was doing so well in every other subject. I was tracked for all honors math classes for the rest of high school, and ended up taking Algebra I and II, Geometry, Analytic Geometry, and Trigonometry. I passed all of them (barely) and because I was able to hang in the honors classes, as well as all of my other honors and AP English, science, and social studies classes, my disability was completely overlooked. It wasn't until college that I finally got diagnosed.

You are definitely with birds of a feather here. Glad to have you!
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Jump to Forum: