Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Have you ever been bullied because of your dyscalculia
Yes Yes 56%[5 Votes]
No No 44%[4 Votes]
Don't have dyscalculia Don't have dyscalculia 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 9
 Print Thread
Poll
Pixie
#1 Print Post
Posted on April 05 2010 09:19 PM

I have been bullied for finding maths hard and I wanted to know if anyone else has.

Thank you for participating x

CheshireKat
#2 Print Post
Posted on April 05 2010 11:07 PM

No, I was never bullied for having dyscalculia. I was bullied for a variety of other things in elementary and middle school, but my math skills were never one of those things. I was bullied for my looks mostly... I was very awkward in my pre-teen and early teenage years. I was one of those tall, gangly, very skinny girls who was all knees and elbows, and I stayed that way until I was about 16. Add to that red hair, freckles, glasses, and braces, and it amounts to one hell of a target on my back. Fortunately by the middle of high school I had grown into my frame and lost the braces, so while I was still tall and thin, I was much less awkward looking.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Kestrel6
#3 Print Post
Posted on April 06 2010 12:32 AM

I was the fat bookworm that everybody picked on; but nobody knew I had dyscalc at the time.
Blessed are the PURR in heart!

http://twicetoldtails.googlepages.com
RottieWoman
#4 Print Post
Posted on April 06 2010 01:22 PM

ooh, hey this is working.....
but anyway, I was bullied for being in Ex. Ed and being considered "different" in numerous ways including displaying the symptoms common to math LD, though I wasn't diagnosed at time.

CheshireKat
#5 Print Post
Posted on April 06 2010 05:57 PM

Since we are on the topic of bullying, I thought I would share this link:

http://www.stopst...g/carl.cfm

This is a link to a petition that people in the United States can sign. It is in favor of the Safe Schools Improvement Act. The act will require that states who receive federal funding (AKA public schools) to put policies into place to seriously crack down on bullying/harassment in schools, and will also provide resources to schools to help them in that effort.

You don't have to sign up on the website or anything, all you have to do is fill in the blanks with your name, address, and e-mail address, and then click "Count me in!" This will send a photo of 11-year-old Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover to your member of Congress, along with a letter urging them to support the act.

Carl was a boy who was severely bullied for being gay, even though he wasn't, and he ended up killing himself just before his 12th birthday. Hopefully his story will hit right at the hearts of the Congresspeople and they will act. You can do your part by sending a picture by signing this extremely simple petition!
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Laura
#6 Print Post
Posted on April 07 2010 07:25 PM

Ye I too have been bullied because of this. It got so bad I was pushed down a flight of stairs!! Nice huh!!!
BEEN THERE DONE THAT, GOT THE T-SHIRT

Pixie
#7 Print Post
Posted on April 07 2010 09:17 PM

Thank you C.C for putting up that link, Laura I got bullied and I was pushed in front of a car it stopped before it hit me luckily that's when my parents decided to move me to a different schools.

katlacrox
#8 Print Post
Posted on April 08 2010 02:59 AM

I was made fun of because I counted with my fingers in the 5th grade. Kids would say things like; "oh you still count with your fingers, your stupid!" and other things. Today was the day that I found out about dyscalculia and I was just blown away with how every symptom went parallel to my struggles.

Pixie
#9 Print Post
Posted on April 08 2010 09:18 AM

When you think you have dyscalculia and you look at the symptoms it is weird how it sounds exactly like you.
When my Mum looked it up for me she said it was like reading about me it was that exact.

Jump to Forum: