Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 9

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
Timelessness and time distortion?! anyone?
GaryR55
#41 Print Post
Posted on March 22 2010 05:58 AM

The only problem I've had is with reading a clock, but I developed methods of working around that, as a child. Even so, I still have trouble with it, at times, especially if I'm dealing with uneven increments that fall between whole numbers, like what time it will be 45 minutes after it's 4:17, for example. I have to visualize an analog clock face and then work it out graphically in my mind. Either that, or I count on my fingers (if there's no one else around). I've been known to count with my toes when there are people nearby. Shoes provide cover in more ways than one. Wink

As for other time effects, I've never had that problem. I'm a high-functioning dyscalculic. I have an uncanny sense of the passage of time, for one thing; superior to most people's, in fact. Thus, I'm usually able to accurately estimate how long it will take to do things, etc, which comes in handy in my work (architectural drafting). Yep, that's right. I get by with a calculator, architect's scale and the measurement functions in Autocad, plus the calculator in Windows, if I need it. Just don't ask me to solve a math problem without my calculator.

Gary

Pixie
#42 Print Post
Posted on April 05 2010 08:43 PM

*raises hand*

I do I hate not knowing how to tell the time etc
My parents have tried to teach me it teachers are going to try but I will probably have to get used to it!
I can't draw a clock I don't even know were the numbers should go on the face.

Allot of people on here probably have the same thing with time to so your not alone.

Jump to Forum: