Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 9

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Getting tested in Arizona?
guccha
#1 Print Post
Posted on November 23 2009 09:20 PM

I've struggled with math my entire life, but up until recently, i've amounted it to "psyching myself out" when being confronted by calculations of any sort, or simply "sucking" at math. I've been homeschooled for the last few years due to health problems (chronic migraines) that made it impossible to go through school. And now i've began studying and pushing towards my GED, and upon doing so, I realized something - I really, really, really suck at math. It's starting to feel like more than that though. I have trouble comprehending or understanding just about anything. As I said to one of my friends, it's like trying to read the Thai language. It's just impossible. It doesn't work. I lose my place when trying to do long equations, I forgot to take certain steps or I forget HOW to take certain steps (such as borrowing in subtraction. I can't for the life of me remember how the hell to do it), and what's most interesting, i've always had trouble reciting numbers out loud. For example, if someone writes down the number 6,493, the money amount 8.94, or tell me to read out loud a date like 11/14/2010, I simply can't do it on the drop of a dime. That also goes for reading time. It's like my brain is an extremely old computer and even the smallest processes takes forever before the product reaches my lips, assuming that whatever I blurt out is correct. This is such a vague explanation, but it's the best I can explain it.

Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division. My mind doesn't process these things. Let alone things like algebra, formulas, and the other mind boggling nonsense one needs to know to get their GED. And upon learning that those with Dyscalculia are given extra help on the math section of the GED test, I knew that's my only hope. It's simply not possible for me to complete the math section of this test. There's no way in the deepest and darkest pits of hell.

All of this being said, what I need to know is where and how someone who isn't in school (working towards GED) is supposed to get tested and diagnosed in the state of Arizona? I've emailed countless people with very few replies, and at this point, I feel i've exhausted my resources.

I've heard that testing is expensive, and needless to say, my family and I don't exactly have the funds to drop 600-1400 dollars on testing at any given moment. Free of charge or low charge, if at all possible, would be preferred.

I'd also like to know how one goes about getting the Dyscalculia benefits when going in for your GED test. Fax your diagnosis to the school where you're getting tested, I suppose? I am so incredibly lost here.

A major goal of mine is to get my GED, but with my gaping incompetence to understand math, I feel this may be my only option if I want to succeed. And even then, I know I have hell ahead of me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

RottieWoman
#2 Print Post
Posted on November 24 2009 04:33 AM

welcome gucca!

some possibilities:

University of Arizona SALT <Strategic Alternative Learning Techniques>Center <www.salt.arizona.edu>

Learning Disabilities Association of Arizona<www.ldaamerica.us/affiliiates/az

Sensory Integration and Learning Center in Tempe, AZ <www.sirriaz.com>

Northern Arizona University Disability Resources<ww4.nau.edu/dr/category/learning_disability>

now I know u said u were working on GED - but any of these places may be useful to get contacts who can direct you further, it may be useful to try to make a start. Also, contact Arizona Division of Vocational Rehabilitation<may be called by another name - Rehabilitative Services, for example>

also: Learning Disabilities Association of America and
National Center for Learning Disabilities, and
LDAonline.org

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on November 24 2009 12:47 PM

11/24/09
Welcome, guccha,
I'm leaving for work now, but I just wanted to say 'Hi' and 'See you later." - jus'

Lauren38
#4 Print Post
Posted on May 04 2010 12:38 AM

I don't know if you still need the information OP. But I'm also in AZ and looking to be tested. I tried the above links but they were treatment centers for children, or resource offices for students at UofA, but no information about actually being tested. After making many, many phone calls I finally found a psychologist in Phoenix that tests adults for learning disabilities.
Here's his website

http://www.iser.c...

justfoundout
#5 Print Post
Posted on May 04 2010 01:20 AM

5/3/10
Dear Lauren38,
I clicked on Guccha's profile and I see that she hasn't visited us since 11/30/of 2009. However, if you would send her a PM (Private Message) her account may be set up so that she will get a 'notice' on her personal email account. That's very nice of you to care about helping another forum member, especially since I see that you've been here for all of 'one post'. ;)

What you 'found' in Arizona that 'works' is exactly what I've found here in North Texas. I was tested by an Educational Psychologist with a Ph.D. He specializes in testing Adults. It's wonderful because he's not just looking at 'counting dots', etc. There are so-o-o many issues that combine to make Mathematics Disorder. My doctor even had to go against a first 'mis-diagnosis' by another PhD psychologist. You can only imagine how grateful I am to him.

I'm finishing a semester, with homework due tomorrow. Hope to get to know you better later. Thanks for the website. - jus'

Lauren38
#6 Print Post
Posted on May 04 2010 01:34 AM

Thanks for the tip, I just sent her a PM. I'm sorry for the trouble you had trying to get a correct diagnosis, I really hope I don't have that experience when I get tested later this month. Good luck with your homework!

RottieWoman
#7 Print Post
Posted on May 04 2010 02:15 AM

glad you finally came across someone there in AZ, Lauren!

Lauren38
#8 Print Post
Posted on May 04 2010 02:36 AM

Just in my brief experience searching for someone that will diagnose adults it seems like there is a real shortage of testing options for people out of school It took some phone calls and searching around on those website posted to finally discover that they were either a. resources for people that have already been diagnosed, b. services for children, or c. testing for LDs or resources for those who have already been diagnosed but ONLY for students of that school. So, sorry if I came off as rude RottieWoman- I didn't mean to discredit the help that you gave. Initially all of the websites you gave looked like exactly what I was looking for.

RottieWoman
#9 Print Post
Posted on May 04 2010 12:56 PM

oh Lauren, no issue. I wasn't attached to you making use of the linksSmile
it is within yourself that you find what is significant for youSmile

justfoundout
#10 Print Post
Posted on May 04 2010 01:17 PM

5/4/10
Dear Lauren,
It's actually so difficult to get someone who is good at testing adults, that, had you not ended your post with having 'found' a psychologist who tests adults, I was going to suggest that you come over here to North Texas to use mine. I've noticed that whenever a forum member had already been diagnosed with 'something' when they were younger,... even if it wasn't a diagnosis of Mathematics Disorder,... they don't have the same obstacles that are put in the way of a person who was never diagnosed with 'anything'. When it's someone with no 'diagnostic history', going in 'cold turkey', we really need someone with experience in testing adults. We've done so much 'remedial', so much 'homework', so much 'compensating', and so much 'trying harder', that we can 'fall through the cracks' in the established testing systems if the psychologist isn't 'absolutely superb' at his job. - jus'

Jump to Forum: