Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
Regarding the poll..
Fefifofirisbobiris
#1 Print Post
Posted on March 30 2006 12:12 AM

Alright, I decided to post this in the "Psychological Impacts" section, because this is pretty much a psychological problem. The poll says "Which is more troublesome, the Dyscalculia or people's lack of understanding." Well, here's my theory. If people did accept dyscalculia, did help you with it, didn't look at you funny or make fun of you when you said you had it, if they gave you the right help, did the right tests, made sure that you got it through, and just generally supported you... Dyscalculia itself wouldn't be a big deal! If you were stuck at a bus stop and you couldn't read the bus numbers, but asked someone else to, and they DIDN'T treat you like a weirdo, why would it be a problem? It's because of the fact that people don't do these types of things, where they aren't aware and where saying the word "Learning Disability" normally provokes some type of responce bordering the "OMFUG YOU ARE A RETARD" line. If people "got" it, if people supported and helped you and DIDN'T do those types of mean idiotic things, it wouldn't be such a big issue. It's the same with most learning disabilities, as well. As opposed to something psysical, like .. AIDS, or something-- even if people DID have awareness it wouldn't matter because of the psysical tolls it takes on you-- but since most mental issues DONT have psysical side-effects, I think understanding could be the key to remedying it.
D y s le x i c s // U n t i e ! !

eoffg
#2 Print Post
Posted on March 31 2006 06:53 AM

Administrator

Hi FefifoSmile,
You got it perfectly right with your statement:
"I think understanding could be the key to remedying it."

GeoffSmile

sian
#3 Print Post
Posted on March 31 2006 05:54 PM

I agree
when I cant do something I say to people i have dyscalcuia and in response I get a blank look.
I then try to explain and say Its sort of like number dyslexia and in response I get a unconvinced look which makes me feel like im making it up.
Teacher with dyscalculia

PuNitrate
#4 Print Post
Posted on March 31 2006 06:17 PM

I agree; one thing that has pissed me off for sometime is the strange idea that dyscalculia and dyslexia have to be "cured." While it is unquestionably a pain in the derriere, I wonder what my brain would be like if I didn't have dyscalculia. Somehow, I doubt very much that I would have the same advantages (and yes, disadvantages) as a "normal person." It's an interesting question: we all have unique abilities to help us cope with it, from humor to visual-spatial visualization. I wonder if dyscalculia is really an approximate name for a type of neurological filtering process? If it is, why should we cure it? It's like saying we should cure Siberian tigers of having white and black markings versus a Bengal's orange and black.

Thoughts? Smile
PuNo4

Fefifofirisbobiris
#5 Print Post
Posted on April 01 2006 02:52 PM

I think you may be on to something, PuNitrate. Because people like Einstein and Jorn Utzon, who have been taken aclaim to having math learning disabilities, all have done amazing feats! (Jorn Utzon, surprisingly enough, was the man who made the sydney opera house). It's the way that you perceive the world, and if you can harness it and use it in a way that can be good, what's the use in curing it? Besides.. You can't cure it anyways. xD
D y s le x i c s // U n t i e ! !

ert
#6 Print Post
Posted on April 01 2006 09:03 PM

sian wrote:
I agree
when I cant do something I say to people i have dyscalcuia and in response I get a blank look.
I then try to explain and say Its sort of like number dyslexia and in response I get a unconvinced look which makes me feel like im making it up.

Throw WHO in their face. It always works. Well 99% of the time, the rest aren't even worth YOUR time. http://www3.who.i...0.htm#f812

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
Jump to Forum: