Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

Print Thread
British Dyscalculia Org set up?
justfoundout
#21 Print Post
Posted on August 21 2009 05:52 PM

8/21/09
Through the years, many forum members have expressed an interest in helping form an Association. I was clicking on a few profiles just now. Some of them have left email addresses or weblinks. Would it be good for us to invite them back to take a look at what we're doing? When did this forum begin offering the option of email notification linked to PM's? - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on August 21 2009 05:53 PM

shasta
#22 Print Post
Posted on August 22 2009 02:19 AM

I'm still interested in helping - just don't ask me to be treasurer! lol
Look forward to hearing more...
Smile

Shasta

classclownfish
#23 Print Post
Posted on August 22 2009 03:51 PM

Hey, I was just referred to this threat by jus'. I'd be willing to help out any way I can, though I am slightly limited as far as travel goes because of my age and lack of transportation.

I do have some skills that would be helpful for site design/development as that happens to be my trade:

* Web design
* Programming with php / MySQL (databases)
* Photoshop
* Video editing
* Server maintenance
* Familiarity with how to get domains and servers up and running

Let me know if anything on this list sounds helpful Smile

i.imgur.com/vHbnD.gif

http://www.equireg.com
justfoundout
#24 Print Post
Posted on August 22 2009 06:10 PM

8/22/09
Wow, classclownfish! Who'dathunkit? - jus'

3EBGPS
#25 Print Post
Posted on August 23 2009 08:24 AM

Id host the education section on the forum...i dont know anything about the computer side...lol

eoffg
#26 Print Post
Posted on August 23 2009 08:54 AM

Administrator

I've setup a forum that we can use to develop this project. Where I've redesigned a forum that I ran for a few months last year. To help out when Schwablearning.org closed down. But it's not being used now.
So for anyone that is interested, you are welcome to come and discuss it there. Where we need to arrive at decisions and then put them into action.
I have titled it as the Global Dyscalculia Association, where so far I've just created 2 boards: Getting Started and Objectives.
Where we will add extra boards, to discuss different relevant topics.
Where it is important to keep on topic, so that decisions can be arrived at.
Where we also have a voting facility on the forum.

Classclown, you wrote about your lack of transportation, but the model that I'm thinking of? Would just exist online, so you only need an internet connection. This way, people can be involved, where ever they live.
In regard to your offer to help with site design/ development. I'll add a board so that we can discuss this. Where we need to define what program to use and then create a template.
Anyway, to get started, here's a link to the new forum, where you'll need to go through the usual sign up process to post there.
http://forum.dysc.../index.php
Cheers,
Geoff,
Edited by eoffg on July 09 2010 08:21 AM

shasta
#27 Print Post
Posted on August 23 2009 10:59 AM

Maybe I'm too much of an eager beaver here - I've registered on the new forum, but no one else has yet, I really don't want to be the first to post there!
the page is book marked and I'll keep logging in frequently.

I really hope we can get something good started here.....

classclownfish
#28 Print Post
Posted on August 23 2009 02:38 PM

Hey Geoff, I'm all up and registered. When I mentioned the transportation thing, I thought we were still maybe thinking of the possibility of face-to-face meetings. My bad.
i.imgur.com/vHbnD.gif

http://www.equireg.com
Kieran
#29 Print Post
Posted on August 24 2009 10:20 AM

Hi all,

Geoff, I just joined up and thanks for setting it up.

To the UKers here tr3lunas and I set up a facebook group for the Dyscalculia Association UK (we put on facebook as any publicity is good publicity). If you go onto facebook and put the Dyscalculia Association UK into the search, then it'll turn up :-)

Thanks everyone for getting this going.

Kieran

tr3slunas
#30 Print Post
Posted on August 24 2009 11:56 AM

Hi guys, web design is what we need!! Classclownfish and 3EBGPS we could use your help! - I will be in touch shortly!

I would like to offer my photoshop and photography skills should anyone need them

Shasta-good to know you are still on board!

I feel we are closer than ever (:

tr3slunas
#31 Print Post
Posted on August 24 2009 12:27 PM

Kieran wrote:
Hi all,

Geoff, I just joined up and thanks for setting it up.

To the UKers here tr3lunas and I set up a facebook group for the Dyscalculia Association UK (we put on facebook as any publicity is good publicity). If you go onto facebook and put the Dyscalculia Association UK into the search, then it'll turn up :-)

Thanks everyone for getting this going.

Kieran

http://www.facebo...amp;ref=ts

3EBGPS
#32 Print Post
Posted on August 25 2009 11:32 AM

GrinHi there

I have registered...how exciting...I will be as much help as I can...enthusiasm will count for a lot!!!

thanks geoff for setting it up

AnimalHugger
#33 Print Post
Posted on September 05 2009 02:11 PM

eoffg,

Great idea! I hope to register soon (gotta ask my parents) - hopefully more dyscalculics will be able to get help through our organization.

Let's do it!

AnimalHugger
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

Bev
#34 Print Post
Posted on October 21 2009 09:08 PM

I would very much like to be an active member of this association. What are the updates and proposals?
The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings. ~Eric Hoffer, Reflections On The Human Condition

justfoundout
#35 Print Post
Posted on November 08 2009 05:51 PM

11/8/09
The UK seems to have an avid interest in IQ testing. Here's a link to the results of a 'test the nation' British endeavour. The Northern Irish came out with the highest IQ's!
http://news.sky.c...6412307459

At the bottom of the article was this ominous message regarding 'birth weight',... and I know that this has been a subject of interest here, for several members, for quite some time. I'll paste just this part. - jus'

"Serious research

Though Test The Nation is primarily entertainment, it also investigated claims that people with high birth weight are likely to be cleverer than those with a low birth weight. The results seem to bear this out. The average IQ of those with a birth weight below five and a half pounds was 99, while those born with a weight of eight and a half pounds or more average of 106."
Edited by justfoundout on November 08 2009 05:55 PM

robertj
#36 Print Post
Posted on November 11 2009 06:52 PM

Interested: I'm all too well over 18, but meeting up would be a problem - a) short of cash for travelling about, Cool increasingly arthritic. However, I do have some rusty journalism skills, into which I could breathe a bit of life if it helps.

www.isleofwightlandscapes.net
justfoundout
#37 Print Post
Posted on November 12 2009 05:05 AM

11/11/09
Dear robertj,
Nobody is traveling! It's all online. NIce to meet you and thanks for your support. We're just now figuring out 'where to start'. Please stay in contact. - jus'

RottieWoman
#38 Print Post
Posted on November 12 2009 02:10 PM

I think "short on cash" is common theme currently-

justfoundout
#39 Print Post
Posted on November 12 2009 11:27 PM

11/12/09
Dear Robertj,
Classclownfish had thought the same thing ( up on post #23 above) and she said,"Hey, I was just referred to this threat by jus'. I'd be willing to help out any way I can, though I am slightly limited as far as travel goes because of my age and lack of transportation."

But then Geoff answered in post #26, saying, "Classclown, you wrote about your lack of transportation, but the model that I'm thinking of? Would just exist online, so you only need an internet connection. This way, people can be involved, where ever they live.
In regard to your offer to help with site design/ development. I'll add a board so that we can discuss this. Where we need to define what program to use and then create a template.
Anyway, to get started, here's a link to the new forum, where you'll need to go through the usual sign up process to post there.
http://forum.dysc.../index.phpCheers,
Geoff,"

So, "short on cash" will not negatively impact the British Dyscalculia Association. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on July 09 2010 04:44 PM

robertj
#40 Print Post
Posted on November 13 2009 11:57 AM

Will do - managing to be poor and busy at the same time, which is a real pain, so failed to notice some of those earlier replies. Will visit the other forum and keep my eyes on progress here.

www.isleofwightlandscapes.net
Jump to Forum: