Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Ideas for Dyscalculia Software
brack02
#1 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2009 01:44 PM

Hi all,

Been a while since i last posted, i know someone who can design software and a while ago i said i wish someone would write some software to help, at which point i was asked what i'd want it to do. That got me thinking about how diverse & random dyscalculia is. This is for the workplace/home and could hopefully be adapted for schools. So if anyone has any ideas about what they would like the software to do then please let me know. Here's a few ideas of my own to get us started.

1) i'd like the software to work with excel and be able to high light the row an/or column your working on, excel doesn't currently do that.

2) says the numbers either individually or in groups that you can set e.g groups of 2 or 3 (useful if people have written a number in one long line).

3) if your writing a sequence of numbers to tell you if you happen to go out of sequence.

Not sure if anything will happen with all the ideas but at least all the ideas will be in one place for future reference, you never know. It will be good to see what we all want from any potential software.Wink I'll keep coming back and checking and making notes on what people want. It's a chance to possibly have software designed by us for us. I've had a look at software that's about and it's a case of there are bits of several programmes that could help and i wanted to know what others wanted.

Clare.

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2009 02:35 PM

5/10/09
Dear brack02,
What a delightful idea! Thanks for offering us the opportunity to share our own 'wish list's' with you for this purpose. I'll try to stay on point on this Thread when I post (something that we don't bother with much on our other Threads).

I was just thinking a couple of days ago of something that I wished I could put into Excel, and hit a button, and have it give me the answer. It's regarding 'time zones'.

As I've gotten a little more experience under my belt, and I've ventured out away from the dyscalculiaforum (my first forum ever), I've realized that different forums base their 'day' and 'hour' time on different criteria, and I still haven't bothered looking up the names for each of these and what each is based on, so you've "caught me". This is something I haven't learned yet,... but I was planning on doing that sometime! I'd really enjoy being able to choose the name of the 'system', then input the time of the posting I'm reading, and to know what time of day it was for that person who posted when they posted. Also, I'd like to be able to see a 'clock' of how many hours ago the post was posted. And even to be able to type in the time zone (when known) of other forum members, to see the time lapse between postings. What I'm trying to say is I'd like 'transparent time zones' that could be asked a multitude of questions.

Especially with the advent of Skype for international calling, the world has become a smaller place. But we'd still like to be awake when we answer the phone, right? And I think that the 'day, month, year, hour' thing is especially challenging to dyscalculics. Tomorrow, I'll be on a different rampage entirely, about some other problem that no software addresses yet. Thanks so very much for this great idea. - jus'

brack02
#3 Print Post
Posted on July 17 2009 09:53 PM

Hi Jus,

Thank you for the reply, sorry i haven't checked in recently, having the odd IT prob! it's a shame at the moment tthat there have not been more replies, the software is something i would like to have alook at as i think it will be really helpful. I sent Admin a PM and asked if the software idea could be made more high profile, hopefully more people will reply and we can design something that will benefit all of us, however at the moment it's still asn idea, has a long way to go and hopefully one day some software will be developed for us by us.Wink

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on July 17 2009 11:38 PM

7/17/09
Dear Brack02,
I'm glad that you're back. I'd almost forgotten that I'd written that idea. Regarding Excel, (let's see how well I can explain this, because I'm not trying to say what most people might expect) I did pass a college course of which Excel was a component, but it took a lot of help from the computer room helpers. I'd like for Excel to have a software that 'ushers you along'. No matter how carefully I'd read and followed the instructions, I'd hit a 'dead end' where what I wanted to happen wouldn't happen. And sometimes, even the very experienced computer room helpers had to ask the most experienced person there in order to get help for me.

What I would like for the software to do is ask me questions like, "Do you need help getting the formula to work?" Or for me to be able to ask the software, "Why doesn't the formula that I've input produce any answer?" Or, "What is the formula missing to produce a {thus-and-so] result?" Or, "Is this a valid formula?" "And if it isn't, what is it missing?" Or, "Will this produce a valid result"? It's been a while (two years) since I had to worry about any of this. And, amazingly, I made an Intermediate score on Excel when I took the test at an employment agency. The agency recruiter was very happy with me. But, Oh Boy! Would that employer ever be in for a surprise if he had hired me! - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on July 17 2009 11:42 PM

brack02
#5 Print Post
Posted on July 18 2009 06:10 PM

Hi Jus,

It's good to be back, i agree with what you say about excel and help - that so sounds like me!!! I was using excel yesterday and i couldn't understand what was wrong with the formula because i had a slightly different answer to the step by step guide in the help section. I'd love to get something going as i do struggle at work with organisation, the monthly stats, orders etc and that i can only ever take projects so far - always to the same point - and then have to pass them onto someone else, it would be nice to have the confidance to say yes this months stats are right, i guess id also like the software to 'speak' which you can get for Dyslexia, Visual Impairment (i work with visually impaired people as part of my resource centre job, it's very interesting and is also what has helped spark this idea). I can go to software companies but knowing how much the software for isually Impaired people costs, id rahter see how low cost we could get it as such.

I'd just love to help people like you and me and everyone else on this site whos is of working age and continues to struggle as there is very little help once you leave school (mind you there's noot a whole lot of help in school, but that can be fixed and some software might even be tweaked to work in th class room - big ideas at the minute.)

Thanks for replying and sahring your thoughts and ideas, this is really useful and i'll pass on your ideas, id love for more people on the forum to have an imput.

Brack02 (Clare).Smile

CheshireKat
#6 Print Post
Posted on July 18 2009 06:49 PM

Clare,

What I would really like in a dyscalculia software would be something that explains mathematical concepts in a logical, more "relevant" way. I had a tutor who did this for me during my high school Trigonometry class and that is the one and only reason I passed with a C+. We would sit down and she would go through every step and explain not only the step, but WHY we did the step.

For example, we did a unit where we would be given two side measurements and an angle measurement, or two angles and a side, or whatever, and we had to use a series of equations to determine the entire measurement of the triangle (the lengths of all three sides and the measures of all three angles). There was an equation you had to use initially to figure out whether the side and angle measurements you were given could be one triangle, two triangles, or no triangles (some angle and side combinations could make more than one type, while others couldn't make a triangle at all because the measurements wouldn't meet up properly). Then from there you had to do about 7 or 8 different equations to collect ALL of the side/angle measurements, then put them together for the final product.

It was an insane amount of work that usually took 2 full pages (not just for me, but for all students) and if she hadn't explained each step logically to me, I would have never been able to remember what to do next. But because each step did have a PURPOSE and came in a specific order for a REASON, once she explained each purpose and reason to me, I could order them in my head properly and actually do the entire multi-step problem, and more incredibly I got the right answer almost 80% of the time.

It's kind of the way you would explain to a student, "Every triangle has three angles, and all three angles add up to 180 degrees in every triangle, always. So if you have two angles that add up to 130 degrees, the third angle HAS to be 50 degrees, because 130 + 50 = 180, and triangles ALWAYS add up to 180 degrees inside." She would explain every step of every problem to me like that, so I knew WHY I was doing that step. Knowing why helped me remember to do it at all, and kept me in order.

If there was some kind of software that walked dyscalculics step by step through every problem and showed them, through words and pictures, WHY that step was important and what it was doing, I think it would make the math easier to grasp.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

justfoundout
#7 Print Post
Posted on July 18 2009 11:27 PM

7/18/09
Dear Kat,
(Everybody else please excuse my momentary interruption.) I was able to do geometry because of what you just described. It was logical. See ya'. - jus'

brack02
#8 Print Post
Posted on July 19 2009 06:44 PM

Thank you for all your replies and ideas, Thanks to Geoff for making this a sticky post. Keep your thoughts and ideas coming, The ideas that are being posted are really great, i'll keep checking back and keeping notes of all your ideas. Thanks to all.

Clare. Cool

brack02
#9 Print Post
Posted on July 23 2009 07:29 PM

Geoff has a really good idea "Rather than a separate software program, it could be built as a Plug-In for Excel?
Or it could be a Plug-In for the Linux spreadsheet program?"

i've come across something like a plug in on an usb/mp3 device which allows youu to take your software with you where ever you go with no need to install the software, it needs a bit more research into it, but it is out there. Keep your ideas coming.

Clare

RottieWoman
#10 Print Post
Posted on July 23 2009 11:32 PM

I am not techie AT ALL but this sounds very intriguing! Smile

brack02
#11 Print Post
Posted on July 24 2009 07:43 PM

Hi ya,

im not very techie either, i've got to admit that this is all very interesting and something that i and others would love to happen, also i could be wrong (if so feel free to correct me) but i don't think there is a ''trade fair' for learning disabilities, like there is for visual impairment called sight village and it's held in birmingham and it's where all the VIP companies come and show off their new equipment/software, which does include some Dyslexia software. It would be great to eventually hold such an event, one day i hope there will be something like the British Dyslexia Assosication, at the moment i don't think it's the right time to set something like that up, due to so many charities folding or closing shops etc and finding it hard to find funding - i know how hard it is for cahrities at the moment as i work for a charity that supports Visually Impaired People. Hopefully one day in the near future.

Clare

brack02
#12 Print Post
Posted on January 23 2010 07:52 PM

Hi all,

Sorry for the long delay in actually getting back to you all, the software is still chugging along, not at a fast pace but still going, my friend has been having a few job issues so it has gone on the back burne, which is fair enough at the moment, i think most people are feeling it hard going at the minute job wise etc. Plus i've had very poor next to no internet connection/speed for 2 weeks - ISP's for you, quite happy to take your money but not veryy helpful when you have a problem.

Just wanted to say hi and i've not forgotten you all. I'll do my best to keep you all updated as and when.

justfoundout
#13 Print Post
Posted on January 24 2010 04:03 AM

1/23/10
Hi brack02!
Nice to see you again. As you can see, we're still here, and still having many of the same problems as before. I've made a little progress. I passed Logic last semester, had the college mail my transcript to the previous cc where I'd done everything but math for my AAS Paralegal degree, and soon I should be receiving my Diploma from that previous cc. This will be my very first degree or certificate of any kind, so I'm really looking forward to it. And now, this semester, I'm working on finishing up some 'core' that I'm missing for my AA degree.

I never asked you about that charity that you worked with that supports Visually Impaired people, but that's something that I've been interested in, also. Have you seen those computer 'read outs' that pop up the little braille bumps? I'd learned to write in Braille (level one, the lowest level) many years ago. I made three copies of three chapters of a book for a blind friend. He wasn't in good health, but no one expected him to suddenly die. When that happened, I waited a 'respectful' number of days before calling his family to ask if I might have those books I'd made for him, since none of the family were blind. I'd already 'missed the boat', as they'd already thrown away those books that I'd made. That was a rather sad ending to something that had taken so much effort. But I still have an interest in helping the Visually Impaired. BTW, this happened many years ago, in South America. The books were in Spanish. I'd done this 'by hand' at a time that computers were in their infancy, and almost no one could afford a Braille typewriter. I used the bronze ruler that my blind friend had given me,... and wore out several 'punches' doing all that work. I still have the ruler!

So, what projects have you had lately?
- jus'

heronfisher
#14 Print Post
Posted on March 20 2010 02:45 AM

The project is good enough to implement, I found it interesting enough here. I this project got a chance to be implemented, I am sure it manage to have good demand on the market.
m3 zero

nwilliams
#15 Print Post
Posted on May 31 2010 12:53 PM

Education can be spread helping a student to identify their strength as well as their weakness. There must be collection of the software through which they can learn math. A software that involves work in finding different ways of approaching of math facts like multiplication tables including language difficulties.
retail coupons

brack02
#16 Print Post
Posted on September 29 2010 02:59 PM

hi all,

From what ive seen (i doubt very much that ive seen all the software about) the maths parts are aimed at school children rather than anything aimed at adults, i personally have found that when i had my 'maths lessons' from the dyslexia insititute (as it was then) that they were helpful in a way but not in a vast majority of others as i use a calculator to work things out on, i needed more everyday kind of things/stratergies, i guess the biggest problem for me and possibly others here is trying to expalin what it is you personally find difficiult, and help with and exactly how people can help, i more often than not find that ones of the hardest things to explain.

I do need to get back in touch with the chap that is hopefully still helping us to come up with some kind of programme, some Dyslexic software is useful, the biggest thing i could do with number transposing but i doubt very much that short of a voice constantly asking you if you actually meant to type that number in, i'm not sure there is anything, as i can hear the number, say the number back word for word yet still write it wrongly and not notice because my brain will read the number i was meant to write down, ive done it before with phone numbers. I'll let everyone know whats happening with software.

melanieb
#17 Print Post
Posted on August 03 2013 12:58 PM

I know this is a really old post, but if you're still open to ideas I think being able to scan the numbers into the computer instead of having to type them in would eliminate quite a bit of human error. Idk about everyone, but writing and typing numbers off a paper and onto a acreen always posed a problem for me. Even if I read them right, my fingers never seem to go where my brain tells them to go.

Jump to Forum: