Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
Left or Right?
justfoundout
#41 Print Post
Posted on October 02 2008 01:57 PM

10/2/08
Dear Norah,
I'm glad that you've mentioned the point about 'directions' in regard to whether we are talking about the theoretical knowledge that permits us to read a map as opposed to the other kind of knowledge that permits us to see where we are going and make the correct choices to actually arrive there. It's like we have two completely different 'programs' in our brain for navigation. Some people can switch back and forth between the two so easily that they probably don't even realize that they are using two distinct systems.

I don't have 'left and right' issues, however I do have trouble following a series of procedures. So, the worst possible thing that can happen to me when I'm asking someone how to get to where they are is for them to tell me a series of "landmarks, left and right turns, and go straight to the '(fill in blank)'". I've learned to just sit and wait until they 'run down' from all this "help" and then restate my original question (such as), "So, is Campbell Rd. north or south of Arapaho?" Often, whoever is trying to help me will get someone else to take the phone and tell me how to get there. If no one in the office knows which direction is north and which is south, then I have a problem.

After I've been someplace a few times, I'm okay. - justfoundout

Edited by justfoundout on October 02 2008 01:59 PM

toyotagirl
#42 Print Post
Posted on October 21 2008 05:06 PM

help. if you are facing me i make the mistake of thinking your left hand is your right so when i am askrd to do a left hand reverse manouver in a car i always get it wrong.This is causing real problems when i take my driving test. Has anyone had this problem.

Lostinspatial
#43 Print Post
Posted on October 21 2008 08:06 PM

I recently started wearing contact lenses. Fortunately, the case has little L/Rs on it. But I did see one case with a color for the right. I think that may be easier to use for me.

Alyssasmom
#44 Print Post
Posted on October 22 2008 01:19 AM

I have always had an issue with left vs. right. I attributed it to starting dance lessons in front of a mirror, and the teacher facing us telling us left or right.... I was always confused!! I haven't ever been very good with math, so I am sure it is related somehow!!

Coping skills I have learned without realizing it, is to know my North, South, East and West without ever thinking about it. In fact, it drives my employee's nuts at one of my jobs!! When they can't find something in our refrigerator, without facing them, I can tell them which shelf it is on, on the East side..... Inevitably, the next question is, is that the freezer side, or the stove side!!

I have been in a van load of teachers going to a convention, just after dark. We were lost and someone called the hotel. They told the person who was giving directions what intersection we were at - I butted in and said - Tell them we are facing South at this intersection. These teachers were amazed, How did I know?? I said, Well, I just have a strong sense of direction - and the sun just went down!!! But they tested me later, after entering the hotel, without windows, we had turned a couple corners and were about to enter our room. They asked what direction our windows would face, and I told them correctly what direction we were facing!!

Weird but true!!

justfoundout
#45 Print Post
Posted on October 22 2008 12:13 PM

10/22/08
Dear Alyssasmom,
Although I don't have your same 'strong sense of direction', I have trained myself to use N, S, E, and W, due to the fact that I can't remember a series of "procedures", which means that I also can't remember a series of "left at the 7-11, straight until the Dunkin Doughnuts, then turn right, until you get to the traffic signal" (you get the picture). Using North/South/East/West is something that you can "hang your hat on". And, at a red light, you can always yell to another driver, "Am I headed North?" Whereas, "Have I passed a 7-11 recently", probably wouldn't get the job done. (You can yell to another driver, and get an answer, 95% of the time IF you are in Texas. Grin )

Not having the 'innate' sense of direction, I have to rely heavily on where the sun is in the sky, so if I'm starting out in the dark of night, I better be very sure of where I'm going, or else I need to follow someone who does know.

I had a relative with the kind of 'sense of direction' that you have. When she was 3, the family, loaded up in a Model-T, visited a house in the summertime. In the wintertime, the family tried to find its way back to that same house. But they were lost. The 3-year-old said, "It's that way." The driver followed her directions, and found the house. Some people have it and some people don't.
- justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on October 22 2008 12:17 PM

Dulcy
#46 Print Post
Posted on October 22 2008 12:54 PM

I dont' think I have an inherent sense of left and right. It's kind of hard to identify how I think about that. I know you read from left to right, so I actually say, in my head "left-right". Left is first, right is second.

It's always conscious, though. I get told "no, OTHER left" Wink by people all the time. I mean, when driving and someone is giving me directions, I'll sit there and turn the car left while the other peson is going "Right! RIGHT!" So clearly, my little method is not foolproof.
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?"
The Summer Day by Mary Oliver

http://www.fivedollarmail.blogspot.com/
tammyk1
#47 Print Post
Posted on October 23 2008 05:14 AM

When I was a kid my mom put red marks or stickers on my right handed stuff and yellow for my left. I had a hella time learning my left from right and still have to "turn" to face the direction I am speaking about.

I am also ambidextrous (can use left and right hands equally), have been all my life. Perhaps thats why I had such an issue with right/left hand learning. I ended up with the right hand since that was the "norm" back in the late 70's for schools.

Kathy
#48 Print Post
Posted on October 23 2008 06:01 AM

Hi all,

Thanks Geoff for the question very interesting - I don't seem to have the left and right problem with my hands but perhaps Geoff you could explain to me when I step out I like to lead with my right foot? - awfull if you have to march like we did at school - left, left, left, right, left. I like to hop on my left foot not right and I like to turn left when I drive but not right - (I know that sounds quirky?) so I suppose one side of my brain must be dominate but which side?
kathySmile
Albert Einstein said: "Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count!."

scmich7
#49 Print Post
Posted on November 15 2008 08:12 AM

I could never in my life figure out my left from my right, I've been wearing the same ring on my finger since fifth grade to remind me that that is my left hand and further on got a ring for my right hand. With driving and people giving me directions I just have to feel the ring to figure it out. No one has yet caught on that every time I get directions I fidget with my rings.

monkeyfeathersmom
#50 Print Post
Posted on November 15 2008 03:42 PM

I want my daughter to respond to this thread, because I'm interested to see what she has to say. When she is asked for her left hand, I see her making the "L" to see which is which.

When she was a toddler or pre-school age, I thought she'd be left handed. She ended up right handed by school age. In Kindergarten, she'd mirror write. She still does strange things with her writing, but I think that's dysgraphia. I always wondered if she ended up being "wrong-handed".

For me, if was in marching band in high school. I still walk leading with my left foot from that experience.

Disastra
#51 Print Post
Posted on March 04 2009 01:45 PM

[quote]mmmaybebaby wrote:
I am actually getting an "L" and an "R" tattooed on my left and right foot, respectively Smile

I have a tattoo of a clown holding a pen and a piece of paper on the back of my right hand as it's the one I write with, and now when giving directions or the like i just have to see the colour of the tattoo in the periphery of my eye to know which side is right.
If life hands you a ruled notebook, write the other way around.

twistedxkiss
#52 Print Post
Posted on March 05 2009 04:02 AM

toyotagirl wrote:
help. if you are facing me i make the mistake of thinking your left hand is your right so when i am askrd to do a left hand reverse manouver in a car i always get it wrong.This is causing real problems when i take my driving test. Has anyone had this problem.

I don't even know what a left hand reverse maneuver is. When I was screened the doctor asked me if I had trouble with left right orientation, I said no, and he said, "which hand is my left hand?"

And I was like, ".....OH!"

twistedxkiss
#53 Print Post
Posted on March 05 2009 04:05 AM

monkeyfeathersmom wrote:
I want my daughter to respond to this thread, because I'm interested to see what she has to say. When she is asked for her left hand, I see her making the "L" to see which is which.

When she was a toddler or pre-school age, I thought she'd be left handed. She ended up right handed by school age. In Kindergarten, she'd mirror write. She still does strange things with her writing, but I think that's dysgraphia. I always wondered if she ended up being "wrong-handed".

For me, if was in marching band in high school. I still walk leading with my left foot from that experience.
\

I did! I was left handed, but when I was in first grade I could still write with both, and they had us put a sticker on a chart next to a right or left hand to say which hand we wrote with. I thought something was wrong with me since I could write with both, so I put a sticker by the right hand since everyone else was, and then a few months later started using my left hand and was corrected to my right every time (and the same thing happened in sports from like age 3, I played T ball and wanted to bat left handed and they wouldn't allow me, AND we didn't know I needed glasses yet. Needless to say, I sucked at t ball!)

My left hand isn't as practiced as my right hand now, but I can still tell I have a LOT more natural coordination with my left side. I am trying to start using it instead, but because of my nerve issues it's hard to strain what's already strained.

twistedxkiss
#54 Print Post
Posted on March 05 2009 04:08 AM

Dulcy wrote:
I dont' think I have an inherent sense of left and right. It's kind of hard to identify how I think about that. I know you read from left to right, so I actually say, in my head "left-right". Left is first, right is second.

It's always conscious, though. I get told "no, OTHER left" Wink by people all the time. I mean, when driving and someone is giving me directions, I'll sit there and turn the car left while the other peson is going "Right! RIGHT!" So clearly, my little method is not foolproof.

I was like that too, and then I took a drama class and was introduced to the marvelous world of "stage left" and "stage right." I forget whether it's from the actors perspective or the audience's perspective now (go figure) but it was the opposite of what I thought it should be.

lace9
#55 Print Post
Posted on July 09 2009 08:44 AM

As it's now gone four in the morn here I confess I haven't read every post on this thread thoroughly because I'm off to bed.
However as I've always had such trouble with left and right, and was never taught to use the shape of my finger/thumb as an aid, I couldn't help sharing with you all how I've worked around this.

Bearing in mind that like Dulcy mentioned it is always still a conscious process and I don't think that will ever change but left from right became very simple for me the day my older sister whispered in my ear "left is the side you put the margin on" Wink

Can we say ding ding ding ding!

Seriously it was like flicking on a light switch. It is one thing out of many others that I will always be very grateful to her for. Fortunately for me I was still a kid (sure most my age had known left from right for years, but finally I knew what they did, and to me that made a huge difference).

I'm still no good at things like following dance steps that require turning left on command... just watch me try to dance along to follow the leader type songs frequently played at weddings and it's a good laugh for all present. Still my brain can now distinguish the two directions after no more than a seconds thought, instead of me just standing there like a moron.

I really couldn't tell you why knowing where to put the margin on a page is so much easier than separating the two words but as was mentioned near the beginning of this thread, I believe it must have something to do with being able to mentally associate them with something of meaning.

Lace
Being truly great with money is easy... just don't spend it. Trust me... this works every time.

RottieWoman
#56 Print Post
Posted on July 09 2009 01:21 PM

HI Lace!

welcome to world of "finger-counters" and Left-Right Confusion Land <no, not ALL of us but many>

I have difficulties with Left and Right, telling time, multiple/sequential directions, maps, spatial orientation, dealing with money. I count on my fingers. Measurements - don't know 'em!

RottieWoman
#57 Print Post
Posted on July 09 2009 01:23 PM

I HAVE gotten better some at Left and Right and like what your sister said, Lace, about the margin - I have a "trick" that can be helpful for me - Right = my Right - Signing - Dominant - hand. Hand I write with. Once I figure that out, then I can go from there-

Mohinga
#58 Print Post
Posted on July 09 2009 03:26 PM

I have had left/right issues all my life, and it didn't get any better when I got my driver's license.
When I need to determine left from right, I pretend to write something and then I know which hand is my right hand.
It takes a little longer, but it works all the time. All that is left is to teach myself that it's not embarrassing to use the trick in public..
I'm a violin so stop trying to make me sound like a piano!!

Dyscalculia doesn't bother me as much as all the nasty accessories that came with it

CheshireKat
#59 Print Post
Posted on July 09 2009 03:28 PM

I felt like I had written on this thread before, but apparently not!

Yeah, I completely fail at left-right orientation. It's something my family has always teased me about, that I just figured was one of my quirks. I am really bad with maps and directions in general (whenever I go anywhere new I give myself 20 minutes to get lost, then get found again) but even just trying to use the correct blinker is a challenge some days! I always THINK I'm using the correct blinker when I turn, but sometimes if I have a friend driving behind me they will call my cell phone, laughing, and say, "Kat, you used the wrong blinker again." I guess if nothing else it keeps people on their toes! Smile
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

RottieWoman
#60 Print Post
Posted on July 09 2009 04:55 PM

no, learning to drive didn't help me w/Left/Right at all either-

Jump to Forum: