Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 10

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
I GOT A DIAGNOSIS!
AnimalHugger
#1 Print Post
Posted on February 19 2009 04:08 PM

Hey everyone!

So my parents went to a meeting with the school today, to discuss the multiple errors that were on teh report they originally issued me. (Thanks for all the help and advice you guys and girls have given me and my family - I've passed on everything you have said!)

At first the lady who tested me went on forever, saying that I don't have a math LD because I wasn't taught grade-appropriate math (which is wrong). My parents brought in THREE hulking bags of math STUFF that they have taught me - including algebra and geometry - to no effect.

As soon as the lady saw that my parents had taught me, she said, "Oh, well, there's no doubt that she has a math LD then" or somethign to that effect (I wasn't there; my Papa told me).

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Along with having an official math LD diagnosis, I also have a form that would allow me double the time on the math portion of my SATS - and the ability to take it by myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, my goodness, I'm so EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They say I have a disability with math processing and something else; they didn't techinically call it dyscalculia, because according to them that's a medical term and I'd have to go to a hospital to get that diagnosis.

But that is okay - I can't tell you how much of a weight this has removed from my shoulders!

My parents need to write an IEP for me...

Thank you all so much for your support!

I can't believe this....I've literally been praying about this for years, ever since I was a little girl...I wrote in my prayer journal, asking God to help Him let my parents find out what's wrong with me math-wise....And He's answered!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try to stop rambling now... Smile
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

CheshireKat
#2 Print Post
Posted on February 19 2009 04:16 PM

WOOHOO!!!! Congratulations!! I know how incredible that feeling is, when you finally get your diagnosis and you just want to shout it from the rooftops. I bet it's even 10x stronger for you since you were originally denied your diagnosis. YAY! I'm so happy for you, as I know everyone in the forum is. Who knew it could be such an awesome, vindicating experience to be diagnosed with a learning disability?
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

monkeyfeathersmom
#3 Print Post
Posted on February 19 2009 05:42 PM

YAY!!!!! I'm SO thrilled for you, animalhugger! Your persistence and faith in what you knew about yourself has paid off. Congratulations to your parents for standing up for you!

Your story gives me strength as I prepare to deal with our school system.

I'm truly happy for you!!!
Parent of math impaired 14 year old daughter.

"...they think a lot of my issues are caused by math anxiety (but my anxiety would be caused by dyscalulia, now wouldn't it?)" - AnimalHugger

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on February 19 2009 06:00 PM

2/19/09
Dear AnimalHugger,
I'm so happy for you. It's been a long, difficult road. Seeing your parents 'go to bat' for you, win, and even get this kind of recognition for their years of hard work is really more than (I'll admit) I thought they could accomplish. And, as you've said, you were probably getting some additional help from another source. Smile- jus'
Edited by justfoundout on February 19 2009 06:01 PM

AnimalHugger
#5 Print Post
Posted on February 20 2009 12:03 AM

Thanks, everyone! Smile

CheshireKat, I just found this statement of yours to be so true. "Who knew it could be such an awesome, vindicating experience to be diagnosed with a learning disability? " It's odd, now that I really think about it, for me to celebrating something which would by most people's standards would be something to weep about. Smile I feel like I'm about to burst with the news, but I might want to re-phrase the way I say it to some of my closer friends...I'm not sure if they'll understand if I call and say, "GUESS WHAT?!?!? I HAVE A LEARNING DISABILITY! LET'S PARTY!" Smile

Thanks, MonkeyFeathersMom. Don't give up on your own fight with the school system; do your research and show them that MF needs help. They'll have to listen, eventually. I think that if you show that you're not going to go away, they will take you more seriously.

Justfoundout, thanks. Smile I'll pass your compliment on to my parents!

I'm so glad I found this forum and met all of you on it - without the support, opinons, and advice given me here, I have no idea how this would have happened. Smile You are all amazing!
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

RottieWoman
#6 Print Post
Posted on February 20 2009 02:16 PM

COOL Grin

AnimalHugger
#7 Print Post
Posted on February 25 2009 03:08 PM

Smile Thanks!
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

evie dee 2
#8 Print Post
Posted on February 25 2009 07:34 PM

YAY!

justfoundout
#9 Print Post
Posted on February 27 2009 01:13 PM

2/26/09
Dear AnimalHugger,
I hope that you won't mind my posting this long quote on your Thread. You're such a great writer and thinker,... very gifted at it. Our member, Symbolt, had posted this link a while back, and as I was reading the pdf file, page 10, this became my 'favorite' passage. - jus'

I'll paste the link and page long quote here:

http://www.dyscal...thesis.pdf
"GIFTED AND MATH LEARNING DISABLED: THE DYSCALCULIA SYNDROME
In summary, there are a great number of students who have serious difficulties in learning
mathematics, but find the rest of academic subjects easy. These students have high IQ's, are
excellent readers and creative writers, and learn quickly. They are frustrated by a paradoxical
condition. Superior performance is easily demonstrated in thinking, verbal, reading and writing
skills, and in every subject where these skills are the predominant modes of learning and
assessment.
But when it comes to any subject that requires understanding and application of the language of
mathematics, they fail miserably, to everyone's surprise. These students may become ill,
disruptive, easily frustrated, and may use their creative abilities to avoid tasks (Baum 1990, 2)
involving mathematics.
Most gifted children teach themselves to read before they are 6, some even reading between the
ages of 2 and 4. Gallagher contends that once basic reading skill is attained, the child is able to
advance his intellectual breadth of knowledge on his own. He will usually excel in verbally
dominated areas like social studies, English, and science (Baskin and Harris 1980, 38).
Mathematics presents a different case because basic skills are dependent upon rigid sequential
mastery. It is difficult to advance independently in arithmetic because much guidance is required,
whereas skills in logical math reasoning allow for autonomous progress (Baskin and Harris 1980,
38). Learning disabilities in gifted children are frequently not discovered until adulthood (Baum
1990, 2).
10."

MonkeyFeathers
#10 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2009 03:42 AM

Congrats!!! =] I'm so happy for you!!!!Grin

Jump to Forum: