The Dyscalculia Forum
August 02 2014 12:21 AM

Navigation

Login

Username

Password



Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?





You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

 Print Thread
Self Awareness ?
silkworm
#1 Print Post
Posted on January 31 2009 04:06 AM
Member

Location: No value
Posts: 13

Joined: 2009-01-27

I'm curious for any one here who practices anything like Buddhism or shamanism how Dyscalculia affects your self awareness.

I find it interesting not just because of its negative effects but because of some of the recent reserch put into trying to research about the bodys role in how self awarness comes about i.e. through things like meditation etc .

It seems to me then that if there is an area of the brain that is specifically affected to cause lost of spatial awarness / time etc

Could it not also be reversed in some way to have the opposite affect also ?

Im no scientist but In laymans terms I just curious really to see if theres any relationship in general

thanks

op aka matt
Edited by silkworm on January 31 2009 04:07 AM
 
CheshireKat
#2 Print Post
Posted on January 31 2009 04:20 AM
User Avatar

Member

Location: United States
Posts: 1862

Joined: 2008-11-14

Matt, that is an interesting question. I'm not sure that spatial awareness and spiritual awareness are linked in any way, though. To me they are on different "planes" of consciousness, if you will. (I know, I'm using a space/time metaphor to describe space and time... not the best avenue of thought but I lack one better.)

I am not a Buddhist or Taoist (I'm a Christian), but I do sometimes engage in what you could call "meditation" as a way to center myself and 'feel the spirit' around me. I think the holy spirit is everywhere and if we just stop and 'get zen', we can feel that spirit and let it fill our empty spaces. My dyscalculia doesn't alter that belief or my experience. To me, spiritual awareness is completely separate in the mind from physical awareness. One is material, one is ethereal.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer
 
RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on January 31 2009 05:21 AM
Member

Location: No value
Posts: 3253

Joined: 2008-12-31

I've been involved in Buddhist study groups for a while and am a Jewish <Jew-by-birth> pagan.........reviewed that on different thread.........I do think meditation and other types of spiritual "looking inward" can affect the brain, because the mind-body connection is very real I believe. Energies are in everything. When I greet a tree, not only do I feel the tree,I feel the energy or spirit in the tree, "the space between the words". I often see things in pictures and see colors and for lack of a better word, "energies".
Don't know how useful a response this was, just trying to share-
 
silkworm
#4 Print Post
Posted on January 31 2009 07:34 AM
Member

Location: No value
Posts: 13

Joined: 2009-01-27

RottieWoman wrote:
I've been involved in Buddhist study groups for a while and am a Jewish <Jew-by-birth> pagan.........reviewed that on different thread.........I do think meditation and other types of spiritual "looking inward" can affect the brain, because the mind-body connection is very real I believe. Energies are in everything. When I greet a tree, not only do I feel the tree,I feel the energy or spirit in the tree, "the space between the words". I often see things in pictures and see colors and for lack of a better word, "energies".
Don't know how useful a response this was, just trying to share-


Hello to both,

I agree I believe there is connection i.e. just trying meditating with hot poker in your eye , if you dont believe me Smile

Would you know where you are for example without a physical body ?

Perhaps, but you would not be able to interact with anything on human level to know what was there , and in my experince its impossible to be aware without that -

Even visualisations take physical forms , its almost impossible for example not to describe or give something form and know it whether it an associated , mood, shape, colour , smell

The reason I thought the spatial thing might be connected is because self awareness is just that i.e. yourself or rather become an active observer rather than just reactor to whats going on around you as result of these increasing patterns.

Life because more interesting because you can " see " those patterns that never existed before and your relationship to them i.e. that you can actually influence them because you know what causes them to start with.

If your not aware of time , space or your own relationship to it
how can you be self aware at all given that it creates a such powerful sense of death / mortality - or " little moments " - hence an appreciation for life.
Edited by silkworm on January 31 2009 07:34 AM
 
RottieWoman
#5 Print Post
Posted on January 31 2009 02:36 PM
Member

Location: No value
Posts: 3253

Joined: 2008-12-31

ahhhh.........being the Observer - that strikes a chord specifically from my Buddhist studies. From a quantum physics perspective, Form is an illusion.....remember to try to see below the Form. I think there are some extremely practiced people - like Grandmaster martial artists , - who would somehow be able to perceive without a physical body - the kind of folks who can control their heartbeat and throw people across the room with the light touch of a finger.
I think the key word here is "connected" on a variety of different levels.
 
EarlyWarning
#6 Print Post
Posted on December 09 2009 08:14 PM
User Avatar

Member

Location: Canada
Posts: 120

Joined: 2009-12-08

Hey Silkworm.. awesome thread.. I was going to start a thread similar to this one until i can across it.

I completely agree that i have a higher spiritual awareness and ability than everyone i know.. and i do believe it is connected to the awareness of time.. as those that run on the non existent created time clock are always running around trying to keep schedules and are completely frenzied at the command of the time piece. whereas I can't exist in the time piece time.. i always think of myself as "existing at the pace of life" a Taoist belief.
I hold a cross in beliefs of many composites of spiritual views as i don't think any one view holds the answers.. otherwise it would just be known as "the way". i follow my inner knowledge or inner master because i can hear it ,as it is not drowned out by this frenzied time worship.

the 7th century mayan prophet Pascal Voltan prophesiesed that " if humanity wishes to save itself from bio-spheric destruction , it must return to natural time".
Pope gregory the 13th forced the mechanical clock onto indigenous persons and is known as the "Error in time" and it created the illusion that time was something external, something inorganic and outside the body that must be watched and obeyed.
And i think that we are inherently above that.. =) good trade off to not being able to read a clock.
i say. Wink

You May not Live, But you will Die.
 
argentnox
#7 Print Post
Posted on February 11 2010 07:21 AM
User Avatar

Member

Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 41

Joined: 2009-08-31

I am pagan, and I meditate frequently. I did have a very hard time learning to meditate because the methods people were trying to teach me just did not reach me for some reason. However, it all clicked when I realized that if I just took my normal daydreaming (which I can fall into in an instant if I am not careful) and let my mind go one teeny step further, I was there.
8 + 1x = 0.04x IS the same as 8 + 1x = 0.4x, I swear it is! (And I had to check this 5 times to make sure I had written that [in]correctly!)
 
tr3slunas
#8 Print Post
Posted on February 11 2010 08:07 AM
User Avatar

Member

Location: London
Posts: 288

Joined: 2007-12-04

I believe that dyscalculia affects my ability to meditate visually as I have no capacity to visualise in my minds eye. I remember trying guided mediatation and it just did not work. Not all dyscalculics have this problem but I certainly do.
Count me in! Wink
 
nicholas
#9 Print Post
Posted on February 17 2011 03:53 PM
Member

Location: Malta
Posts: 33

Joined: 2007-10-09

This was a good discussion that is beneficial to be revived.
Irrelevant of our believes, race, gender, nationality, and levels of physical/mental abilities, I firmly believe that our ultimate purpose is to awaken our consciousness.

The aware/enlightened person may still have to deal with dyscalculia BUT will not be conditioned by the situation. The resultant negative emotions triggered by situations are not part of our true self.
When we become aware(awareness becomes aware of itself), we discover a space between our true selves and the situation.
In this space, healing evolves.

Probably, the best contemporary teachers of awareness are;
Eckhart Tolle and Frank Kinslow.
Nicky
 
RottieWoman
#10 Print Post
Posted on February 17 2011 04:55 PM
Member

Location: No value
Posts: 3253

Joined: 2008-12-31

hello, nicholas, seems you and I may have read some of the same books.
I'm currently in a Buddhist or meditative-related study group at a local UU Church. Taught by a dear friend of mine who self-describes as Jew-Bu-UU; we go through various books like ones by Tolle; also things like "Buddhism Plain and Simple" ; Chopra etc and read and discuss in yeshiva-style.

it is the space between, the pure potential for love that matters more than the label of LD or dyscalculia, or the fact of dealing with it
nu, as is often the case I'm in line and dealing with change and someone is not aware and so they act in an impatient way; I can RE-act or I can try to find my own awareness, in the time frame I have to choose.

namaste nicholas
 
silkworm
#11 Print Post
Posted on April 24 2011 10:22 PM
Member

Location: No value
Posts: 13

Joined: 2009-01-27

EarlyWarning wrote:
Hey Silkworm.. awesome thread.. I was going to start a thread similar to this one until i can across it.

I completely agree that i have a higher spiritual awareness and ability than everyone i know.. and i do believe it is connected to the awareness of time.. as those that run on the non existent created time clock are always running around trying to keep schedules and are completely frenzied at the command of the time piece. whereas I can't exist in the time piece time.. i always think of myself as "existing at the pace of life" a Taoist belief.
I hold a cross in beliefs of many composites of spiritual views as i don't think any one view holds the answers.. otherwise it would just be known as "the way". i follow my inner knowledge or inner master because i can hear it ,as it is not drowned out by this frenzied time worship.

the 7th century mayan prophet Pascal Voltan prophesiesed that " if humanity wishes to save itself from bio-spheric destruction , it must return to natural time".
Pope gregory the 13th forced the mechanical clock onto indigenous persons and is known as the "Error in time" and it created the illusion that time was something external, something inorganic and outside the body that must be watched and obeyed.
And i think that we are inherently above that.. =) good trade off to not being able to read a clock.
i say. Wink


" bio-spheric destruction " thats a new one for me.

I dont know if anyone here has heard of Stan Gocoh but heres something else I found interesting.

It might parlty explain why some of us feel so " dumb " given we excel or at skilled at other things.

http://www.fortea..._self.html

there is so much about the mind we dont - might never know.

sw
 
silkworm
#12 Print Post
Posted on April 24 2011 10:29 PM
Member

Location: No value
Posts: 13

Joined: 2009-01-27

nicholas wrote:
This was a good discussion that is beneficial to be revived.
Irrelevant of our believes, race, gender, nationality, and levels of physical/mental abilities, I firmly believe that our ultimate purpose is to awaken our consciousness.

The aware/enlightened person may still have to deal with dyscalculia BUT will not be conditioned by the situation. The resultant negative emotions triggered by situations are not part of our true self.
When we become aware(awareness becomes aware of itself), we discover a space between our true selves and the situation.
In this space, healing evolves.

Probably, the best contemporary teachers of awareness are;
Eckhart Tolle and Frank Kinslow.


This is where i have problem with what exactly is the self.

On basic level I agree that what you say ( a common theme in most paths ) , but reality is not always so black an white.

For example no one is fully aware of the body , every blood cell, neural impulse or how its affecting anything to truly know how big factor it does / doesnt play into contributing what you call the mind .

You can not exist without a body even when your not in it ( OBE ) so how can any one dimiss the physical aspect of the body as less important , esp when we dont even know how it works ?


Edited by silkworm on April 24 2011 10:30 PM
 
nicholas
#13 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2011 05:36 PM
Member

Location: Malta
Posts: 33

Joined: 2007-10-09

Hi Silkworm,

Fortunately our innate wisdom takes care of the functions of our bodies without needing to be conscious of all the thousands of processes taking place inside.
Ofcourse the body is important, and we are responsable to take care of it. My body is not the same that was 20 years ago however I am the same person. There is a continuity that I recognise as "I".
This is what I call self-awareness or awareness becoming aware of itself.
On my quest for becoming aware, the best technique that suited me is the Quantum Entrainment method.
There are two MP3 exercises (free download) that I have found to be helpful.
http://www.quantu...loads.html
Nicky
 
tr3slunas
#14 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2011 09:46 PM
User Avatar

Member

Location: London
Posts: 288

Joined: 2007-12-04

Thought I would contribute to this thread again with some lateral ideas regarding the right hemisphere of the brain...

Religious thought is generally connected to the right hemisphere

http://www.scribd...onvictions

- As is the idea of self awareness - or at least parts of it

http://docs.googl..._xBDx1tucw

some people with right hemisphere dysfunction/damage often cannot 'see' their own problems with not being able to function in certain areas.

and yes the final link - dyscalculia is thought to be in the right hemisphere...

http://www.cell.c...2207010652
Count me in! Wink
 
silkworm
#15 Print Post
Posted on March 13 2012 10:52 PM
Member

Location: No value
Posts: 13

Joined: 2009-01-27

RottieWoman wrote:
ahhhh.........being the Observer - that strikes a chord specifically from my Buddhist studies. From a quantum physics perspective, Form is an illusion.....remember to try to see below the Form. .


thats interesting, can you elaborate what you mean by " below the form " ?

sw
 
RottieWoman
#16 Print Post
Posted on March 14 2012 02:36 PM
Member

Location: No value
Posts: 3253

Joined: 2008-12-31

hello, silkworm

energy is the reality, what one Knows with the heart which is Love which has no opposite

everything is energy and sometimes I can see it, usually I can feel it.

Form is what we think we see
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Utube video of inclusion/awareness Shoutbox 3 September 13 2011 01:17 PM
driven by emotions vs residing in awareness Shoutbox 1 March 09 2011 08:57 AM
Dyslexia Awareness in Ohio, US Dyscalculia Day 1 July 24 2010 06:16 PM
A whole UK school raised awareness on Dyscalculia Day 2010 Dyscalculia Day 3 April 12 2010 07:51 AM
Dyscalculia Awareness Month Introduce Yourself 8 March 14 2010 10:01 PM