Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Spread The Word :: General ideas
 Print Thread
Some awareness ideas!
twistedxkiss
#1 Print Post
Posted on January 11 2009 11:21 PM

I have come up with a couple awareness ideas I wanted to share.

I have joined a livejournal community for new years where you make a list of 101 things to accomplish in 1001 days. And one of my 101 things was to spread awareness of dyscalculia, so I am keeping a log of everything I do to raise awareness. Maybe we should make a thread for an awareness log and have everyone post every time they do something to raise awareness? We can be proud of what we have done to fight for the cause, and it can give others ideas to spread awareness in their community. I just told a woman on Yahoo Answers that had a smart child struggling to make grades that I have a superior IQ and I still have a learning disability called dyscalculia, and she said she would have him checked.

Another idea is something we could do in conjunction with that, what if we had a daily or weekly commitment to do something, even if it's little, to raise awareness? I am trying to do something little every day, whether it be to tell a parent I meet online with a son struggling in math about dyscalculia, or putting the forum link on a post-it note in a library book. I probably won't actually make it EVERY DAY, but I might set a goal like every day for a week or something. I thought it might be fun.
Edited by twistedxkiss on January 12 2009 04:24 AM

RottieWoman
#2 Print Post
Posted on January 12 2009 04:20 AM

I agree that modeling the possibility for achievement for others with LD who are newer in the situation, or assisting a family member of someone with LD are very important things. I do generally - I don't hide that I have LD and if I happen to overhear someone else discussing developmental disabilities/LD with someone else, depending on context and circumstances, I will often find a way to appropriately enter the conversation so I can share my story and see if anything in it could be useful for the original participants.
I also try to model compassion, patience, etc, for those times when standing in line and the person in front of me seems slower with the transaction than "average" for whatever reason. I attempt to honor the dignity of people who are often discussed about but not spoken with - people with mental retardation, autism, folks who may use alternate forms of communication besides speech.
I too try to do a little something daily.

Nice thoughts, TwistedxKiss Smile

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on January 12 2009 03:47 PM

1/12/09
Dear TwistedxKiss,
Thanks for introducing that idea. I would especially like to hear about it when a forum member starts something like a 'special interest group' within some community (online or otherwise) and when a forum member speaks at a conference or school. - jus'

Fennec
#4 Print Post
Posted on February 15 2009 03:59 PM

I like your idea.

I think one of the primary problems with dyscalculia isn't the disability itself, but rather the lack of awareness. Many people (professionals included) have never heard of it, assume dyscalculics are just "stupid" or "lazy", or are compassionate but unaware of the symptoms. In the case of the third factor, people may think that dyscalculia only impacts academics, not also living skills such as handling cash and understanding time.

So... that said, I think we should all promote awareness. I've noticed some videos and articles about dyscalculia; maybe there are other forms of media we could utilize?

I'm unfortunately not in college at the moment. However, when I return I plan to submit an article about dyscalculia to the newspaper.

Suggestion for art students: Ask your teacher/professor if you could receive extra credit for creating a piece of work about dyscalculia and having it mounted on a bulletin board. You know, something of that nature.

If you do not bring forth what is within you,
what you do not have within you will destroy you.

óGospel of Thomas

twistedxkiss
#5 Print Post
Posted on February 15 2009 06:38 PM

I am getting extra credit in my math class for writing an article about dyscalculia for the math department newsletter. Which one of us couldn't use that? Pfft

RottieWoman
#6 Print Post
Posted on February 16 2009 01:09 PM

Good thoughts on the writings for dyscalculia, TwistedxKiss and Fennec Smile

justfoundout
#7 Print Post
Posted on February 16 2009 03:53 PM

2/16/09
Fennec, great idea on creating a painting representing dyscalculia for display at a school or college. At my first college, there were about 8 large 'paintings' on display, hung one after the other, in the lobby of the counseling office. I'll be kind and just say that they weren't 'pleasing'. They hung there for at least 5 years. Mercifully, the school has now removed all but one of them, but the walls are now bare. Perhaps they plan to hang some posters later. I don't know their plans.

The disability office and disability counselors use that same lobby and those offices. Frequently people with disabilities are passing through the lobby. If I could design and paint something that would get attention for dyscalculia, something that would cause people with serious math problems to at least ask the counselors about it, I would 'lend' it to the wall for however long they would keep it on display. Thanks for that great idea, Fennec. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on February 16 2009 03:55 PM

Jump to Forum: