Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 9

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
What are reading right now?
evie dee 2
Posted on February 20 2011 08:51 PM

justfoundout wrote:
2/15/11
Hi Evie Dee,
Nice to see you again. I'm taking Design II in college, but the other half of the classroom is taking 'Fibers' at the same time, with the same teacher. Whenever I see them 'weaving' and 'sewing',.I think of you. Someday, I've just got to learn to read those knitting patterns. - jus'

Hi, jus. Nice to see you again. And thanks!
Evie Dee.

justfoundout
Posted on February 20 2011 10:10 PM

2/20/11
Everytime I see creative knitting now, I think of you! ;) -jus'

Just one favor, Evie, and I'm sorry to mention this,... would you please not "Quote" my posts? It bothers me because when I see that I've made a typo, I'm not able to to correct it. And there are other reasons besides this. Thanks. - jus'

priya12
Posted on May 12 2011 05:51 AM

I am just reading the Harry Potter the Deathly Hollow Part-2.It is an interesting Book...

Watch Er Online

Riker
Posted on May 25 2011 11:35 PM

i'm reading "The Visiting Angel" at the moment.
"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter" - Oscar Wilde

heathermomster
Posted on May 26 2011 12:08 AM

The 11 yo (and the reason I'm here) is reading Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain, DH is reading A Reason for God by Tim Keller, and I've just completed Villette by Charlotte Bronte.
Edited by heathermomster on May 30 2011 02:28 PM

krissgale
Posted on July 25 2011 06:37 AM

Although at this time i am not reading any book, but i've started read Game of Thrones book story. it's my favorite HBO series at this time and i've plan to go for it's book after finish it's season 1.

justfoundout
Posted on August 22 2011 03:29 PM

8/22/11
My required reading for Intermediate Painting is a delightful little book, inexpensive, called Art and Fear - Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) fo Artmaking. It's made me smile, chuckle, and laugh out loud. Read it if you can get a copy. - jus'

Tamsin
Posted on October 09 2011 08:16 PM

I always love to find out what everybody is reading. The book I am reading now is called Every Last One by Anna Quindlen. There is a character in the book who I strongly suspect has AS (Asperger Syndrome).
Aspie

Ladyhawke
Posted on November 20 2011 10:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I am so happy to read this thread and see so many people that love to read as much as I do! All my life I've been the odd one in the family because of my love of reading.

I have read a great many of the books previously mentioned--did I mention I love to read? Wink I'm currently reading the second book in the Game of Thrones series. I had to read the books after watching the first season on HBO.

As for classics, I've read a great many of them. Couldn't stand the Great Gatsby, Wuthering Heights and most especially Old Man and the Sea (which I was forced to read in Grade 12 English). As I wrote in my Writing 12 class:

"if I am forced to read that book Old Man and the Sea “again”, I may have to write a scathing review about it for extra credit just to get it out of my system. I do not think I have ever read that word “again” so many times in one book. Before I even reached the middle of that book, I was re-writing the story graphically in my head with a killer whale or desperately hungry shark attacking and finishing off the old man, so I would not have to suffer through another page."

Apologies to all you Hemingway fans, but that book was not my cup of tea. Nor was Lord of the Flies, which I was forced to read for English in Grade 8. I have plenty of opinions about that book too, but I won't get into that here.

To Kill a Mockingbird was an excellent read, and I've read all the "Anne" books by Lucy M. Montgomery as well as other books written by the same author. My grandmother gave me a collection of them when I was 9 yrs old and I've never let them go. I read Gone With the Wind at age 10. I've read the Mark Twain books, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, Edgar Allan Poe, Robin Cook, Dean Koontz, Robert Aspirin, Robert Heinlein, and Piers Anthony to name a few.

I read all the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and any other of those types of series as a child, and the librarians at the schools I attended could never get them in fast enough for me. Agatha Christie books also captured my attention for several months.

Please don't judge me too harshly, but when I was in my early teens I got heavily into romance novels and I read truckloads of them. Ironically, my mother remarried a few years ago and I have a stepsister, whom I've never met, who is a best selling romance novelist. I've read a few of her books too, even though I outgrew the romance novel phase MANY years ago.

Jacqueline Susann, Daniele Steele and John Grisham were among my favourite authors as well, although I got out of Daniele Steele books a long time ago. I really like Stephen King books and to date "The Stand" is my all-time favourite Stephen King novel.

A friend of mine managed to hook me onto the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, which is good, but a bit far-fetched since the author seems to push the time thing a little too unrealistically for my taste. I have to force myself to overlook that when reading them. I also loved the Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel, at least until the last two books came out. After waiting over thirty years for her to finish the series, that last one was a huge disappointment.

Someone else here mentioned the Eragon series--love that one too! I absolutely adore the Harry Potter series and I have read that series about three times now. Smile

Unlike some of you, I read purely for pleasure only. Higher level reading may make me seem more intelligent and probably wouldn't kill me to start reading, especially at my age, but I simply can't get into philosophy. Sorry to all you brainiacs out there. If you can forgive me for that, I look forward to discussing other book choices with all of you. Smile

Thank you to whomever started this thread. I have gotten some great book titles from reading some of your posts that I will be looking for the next time I visit the bookstore. Smile

justfoundout
Posted on November 24 2011 08:31 PM

11/23/11
Hi LadyHawk,
Nancy Drew, Agatha Cristi. YaY! Yes, loved those. Cherry Ames. Remember her? Read those, too. And I liked some of the Hardy Boys, back when they were more innocent, but when they got stronger, I didn't want to read them any more. I read all of Mark Twain's that I came across and a couple by Louisa May Alcott,... finished reading Tom Sawyer under the blanket by flashlight, so that my parents wouldn't see the light under my door. ;) However, I completely avoid anything to do with the occult, no matter how enticingly it's packaged. That goes for books, movies, and TV. They won't be getting my dollars or my attention.

I'm still missing three credits in English Literature in order to finish my BFA degree. Fellow students tell me to take American Literature, not British Literature, and I'm planning to take that advice. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on November 24 2011 08:33 PM

Edelweiss
Posted on December 04 2011 05:38 PM

I also read a lot now even more than I used to because I'm a bookseller
I just started "To Kill a Mokingbird" and I must say that it was kind of hard at beginning for a french nativespeakerGrin But I think I will love it anyway

Laura
Posted on December 07 2011 01:24 PM

Signs from above- Angel therapy book
BEEN THERE DONE THAT, GOT THE T-SHIRT

Tamsin
Posted on December 17 2011 03:51 AM

Death of a Red Heroine by Qiu Xiaolong.
Aspie

Ladyhawke
Posted on January 18 2012 09:02 PM

Reading "Runaway" by Alice Munro.
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

justfoundout
Posted on January 18 2012 10:52 PM

1/18/12
Okay. Are you ready? This is not my list of favorites. These are the books that I have to read for school:
(1) Tradicion y cambio, lecturas sobre la cultura latinoamericana contemporanea, 3rd ed.
(2) Aproximaciones al estudio de la literatura hispanica, 7th ed.
(3) Introducción a la lingüística española, 3rd ed.
Sound like fun? - jus'

heathermomster
Posted on January 23 2012 12:42 AM

Presently reading 3 books:

"How Green is My Valley" - This is a book club reading assignment.

"Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents" and "The Dyslexic Advantage" - Because homeboy will be HS'd in the Fall and I need to explore any and all ideas to help that kid out.

Ladyhawke
Posted on January 23 2012 07:38 AM

justfoundout wrote:
1/18/12
Okay. Are you ready? This is not my list of favorites. These are the books that I have to read for school:
(1) Tradicion y cambio, lecturas sobre la cultura latinoamericana contemporanea, 3rd ed.
(2) Aproximaciones al estudio de la literatura hispanica, 7th ed.
(3) Introducción a la lingüística española, 3rd ed.
Sound like fun? - jus'
Better you than me, my friend. Wink
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

RottieWoman
Posted on January 23 2012 03:54 PM

reminds me of some of the books on my university's Spanish major's required reading list-

NoahSavage
Posted on April 12 2012 09:21 PM

Just finished reading the hunger games series.

I thought each of the books were a good read.

Though i was a little disappointed by the ending of the third book.

misswallflower
Posted on April 17 2012 08:31 PM

I just finished reading all of theHunger Games books, also finished reading Bram Stoker's Dracula and have decided to re-read The Hobbit since the movie will be coming out sometime soon.

Jump to Forum: