Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 15

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,048
· Newest Member: Nicki Holmes

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
How to learn math?
AnimalHugger
#21 Print Post
Posted on September 28 2008 09:41 PM

Thank you, Lisa! I read the links, and especially concentrated on the second and third ones. I'm sending the links to my Mama through e-mail so that I can show her what you've found. Again, thank you so much! I will try to get these books from our local library....We're going there this Tuesday.

I'm a little confused, but the answer is probably very simple: What do you mean by abstracts? And can you get those books out of a local library, or do you have to order them through that website?

Justfoundout - please send me a PM! I'd love all the help you can offer.

Geoff - Weren't you the one who suggested the Chinese abacus in the first place??? I'm a little confused....However, I like the simple instructions on the website you sent me.

I will show this all to my parents!

Thank you everyone!
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

AnimalHugger
#22 Print Post
Posted on September 28 2008 09:49 PM

Oh, I get it! Geoff - You supported the Japanese abacus all along. I just reread the thread. Forget my comment! I got confused. And thank you for the superb site!
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

Lostinspatial
#23 Print Post
Posted on September 29 2008 01:08 PM

Animal Hugger,

Abstracts are a summary of the article or book. You can check at the local library, but I don't know if they'll have them. When you're looking at the abstract, there should be a full text availability options part towards the top. If you click on the find a library part, you should be able to check to see which libraries near you have it. Your library may even be able to borrow it from another library. I would suggest talking to the librarian. And let me know if you need any help tracking the materials down.

Edited by Lostinspatial on September 29 2008 01:15 PM

AnimalHugger
#24 Print Post
Posted on September 29 2008 10:18 PM

Dear Lisa_,

Thank you for explaining about abstracts. Justfoundout also sent me a PM that explained. I was really confused before!

THank you for the offer of help - I'll take a closer look at the links you gave me, see what I can do, talk to my Mama, and then let you know if I was able to figure it out. Smile Trust me, if I can't, I'll be badgering you for help (in the nicest way possible, of course). Smile

AnimalHugger
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

Lostinspatial
#25 Print Post
Posted on September 30 2008 01:15 PM

Sure, feel free, it's not badgering!

AnimalHugger
#26 Print Post
Posted on October 01 2008 04:43 PM

Thanks. Smile
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

AnimalHugger
#27 Print Post
Posted on November 04 2008 03:35 AM

By the way, my Mama ordered a math program that really seems to work. If anyone wants to re-educate themselves, I would suggest getting the Professor B mathamatics books.

I was skeptical of them, becasue we've tried A LOT of math programs with no success. But Professor B teaches it in a completely different manner - it does not use an abacus, but uses finger counting and, believe it or not, uses methods that I use! I had no idea that I did math so strangely until my family tried to understand how I (and Professor Cool did it - but my mental addition is actually better than theirs in some instances.

Of course, I may be doing so well because we're at 2nd grade level math....BUt, anyway, it seems to go well with a dyscalculic mind. Smile
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

Jump to Forum: