Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

Print Thread
Colleges that substitute math.
RottieWoman
#61 Print Post
Posted on January 23 2012 04:19 PM

it's not always so much or only about the scores -one of the issues we face are the general degree requirements for the undergrad work.

The GRE can also be difficult.

math LD is not just about numbers

Smile
Edited by RottieWoman on January 23 2012 04:20 PM

Marthinika
#62 Print Post
Posted on April 26 2012 09:09 AM

Does anyone of colleges or unis in the UK or Europe? Hoping to study in the UK as a mature student but not sure if I need to give it up altogether. Seems the only country so far where adults still have a chance here to get some education. Distance learning from the US is too expensive as an international student Sad

justfoundout
#63 Print Post
Posted on April 27 2012 01:48 PM

4/27/12
That's a good question, Marthinkika. Nice to see you here on the forum. I see that you are in Belgium. Beautiful place. I visted there once. Marthinkika, you might start a Thread yourself with a title something like 'helpful colleges in Europe', etc. They might not all be helpful in exactly the same way, but having a Thread where dyscalculics could post about their experiences would be a good idea, I think. - jus'

heathermomster
#64 Print Post
Posted on April 27 2012 01:52 PM

Marthinika wrote:
Does anyone of colleges or unis in the UK or Europe? Hoping to study in the UK as a mature student but not sure if I need to give it up altogether. Seems the only country so far where adults still have a chance here to get some education. Distance learning from the US is too expensive as an international student :(

BeardyScientist may be able to advise you...He's in school now. You may need to PM him directly.

Marthinika
#65 Print Post
Posted on May 13 2012 06:51 PM

Sorry, I meant of course if anyone 'knows' of...
Thanks for the tip jus and heather!

justfoundout
#66 Print Post
Posted on May 14 2012 07:34 PM

5/14/12
Yes, Marthinika. I was thinking more of if you'd like to start a Thread with a title that invites other to post their knowledge of European colleges there. We have a shortage of information on European colleges here on this forum. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on August 18 2012 09:19 PM

thinkerED
#67 Print Post
Posted on August 18 2012 12:44 PM

Nice logic being used here. This thread would surely be useful to the parents who are looking for a good university for their children.

MathDestruction
#68 Print Post
Posted on August 28 2012 04:16 PM

Is there a way to get a math requirement dropped without having to have medical documentation that you have Dsycalculia or a LD in math?

I have gone and done tests and find the results utterly useless most of the time. These clinicians charge thousands of dollars and tell you have all sorts of problems and issues, which may or may not be true.

Then for something like math, which I hate doing and don't understand, I can't get them to say I don't have to do it! WTF?

Btw -Best Thread on Internet! Smile

justfoundout
#69 Print Post
Posted on August 28 2012 05:48 PM

8/28/12
Hi MathDestruction,
As far as I know, there has to be the professional diagnosis of 'mathematics disorder' before a math course can be substituted with something else that shows 'analytical' ability, like Logic.

Glad that you like the Thread that I started soon after I became a member of this forum. I sympathize about psychologists who are ready to diagnosis everything imaginable except for the one thing that would help us most, the mathmatics disorder diagnosis. I was first tested by a psychologist lady (Ph D) who didn't give me the MLD diagnosis. I suspect that giving the MLD diagnosis is unpopular with some unscrupulous psychologist because, once given, our problem is solved, and there's nothing for us to buy from them,... nothing they can sell us to 'fix' us. (MathDestruction, I understand your frustration, but please don't use profanity or abbreviations for profanity here. I'll remove this comment when it disappears from above post.)

What sometimes happens is that, with a high IQ and tons of hard work, a dyscalculic's math score is too high to automatically get the MLD diagnosis. But there are other things, other than the disparity between the math and the verbal scores, that can/should still get you the right diagnosis. This was what happened to me. I got re-tested with a psychologist who knows the difference, too Logic, and finished my AAS Paralegal degree. Please send me a PM (private message) if you think this is what's happened to you. Tell me about your scores. I'll try to help. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on August 28 2012 05:49 PM

thinkerED
#70 Print Post
Posted on September 07 2012 01:20 PM

Math is really needed for child's growth and anybody either homechooled or highschooled, needs math for his development.

squeakymonster
#71 Print Post
Posted on September 07 2012 03:31 PM

thinkerEd, as previously brought to your attention on other threads, please, before you spout off on the importance of math, take some time to familiarize yourself with our learning DISABILITY!!! We do not argue that math has no place in our society. We argue, that, due to our DISABILITY, we be given accommodations that will allow us to complete our degrees. In our cases, sometimes, the only thing PREVENTING us from getting our degree is math, a class that, due to our DISABILITY, we can NOT pass!

If you are on a forum for people with a learning DISABILITY, perhaps you should become familiar with our problem before continuing to offer your oh-so-"helpful" advice. If one were to follow your line of logic, we should say to a blind person that seeing a road sign is important to know where you are. The blind person would respond "Duh, but due to my DISABILITY, I cannot see the sign". We feel the same way about math. Please, take some time to educate yourself before posting again.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

justfoundout
#72 Print Post
Posted on September 07 2012 04:46 PM

9/7/12
http://www.urband...term=troll
The above link that I've posted gives the definition of a 'troll' according to the Urban Online Dictionary.
2. troll
1a. Noun
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

In your case, thinkerEd, what you have stated is called a 'truism'. http://www.thefre...com/truism n. an obvious truth; platitude

As squeaky said, we don't argue against math education. The harm that you do here is in causing emotional pain and a disruption in the flow of solace that dyscalculics come here to find.

The Bible says, at Proverbs 15:1, " An answer, when mild, turns away rage, but a word causing pain makes anger to come up." By 'causing pain' you ruin dyscalculic's enjoyment of this forum. Is it your intention, though your posts, to inflict pain on the dyscalculics of this forum? - jus'

thinkerED
#73 Print Post
Posted on September 13 2012 08:17 AM

Math is necessary in today's world. It helps to increase the cognition power in the brains of the children. The colleges where it practiced, are doing really well.

squeakymonster
#74 Print Post
Posted on September 13 2012 11:31 AM

thinkerED, you are still missing the point. We KNOW math is important. No one on here disagrees with that statement. However, as stated and spelled out for you MANY times, the people on this forum have a LEARNING DISABILITY!!!! This means that often, math stands in the way of our success, and if we can attend schools that allow students to take alternatives, such as a Logistics class, or Science instead, we stand a better chance of being successful. Does that make sense?
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

justfoundout
#75 Print Post
Posted on September 13 2012 03:50 PM

9/13/12
ThinkerEd, do you know of any college where math is 'not' practiced?
http://www.urband...term=troll
The urban dictionary says this about trolls:
"Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject,... Trolls often go by multiple names to circumvent getting banned."
Have you had other names here on this forum, thinkerEd? - jus'

roxanna
#76 Print Post
Posted on February 10 2013 01:00 AM

So, has any one actually compiled a list that can be posted of colleges and universities that do not require math in order to graduate?

justfoundout
#77 Print Post
Posted on February 12 2013 06:55 AM

2/11/13
Hi roxanna,
I guess the answer is 'no'. However, we've made a lot of progress since I first started this Thread. Mostly, there's loosely a formula of what steps one needs to take... get tested, file results with disability services, pick some major that's not math oriented, check the math requirements of the State that you live in, and then hope that the head of disability services at your college is working to help you and not to hinder you. In Texas, I found a wonderful little rule that says that any AA degree will transfer 'as a block', no questions asked, to any State University. Then, I got the cc to let me substitute Logic for College Algebra, finished my AA, and transferred it to a State University. For me, that was the solution.

For someone who started out at a 4-year University and then, nearing the end of their BA studies suddently discovers that a.) she can't pass algebra and that b.) it's too late to get an AA degree, then the solution that worked for me wouldn't work for her.

As you may have noticed if you read some of the previous posts on this Thread (and it almost makes me laugh now when I think about it), calling the lady who answers the phone for a university and asking her if they 'will let me substitute math' (or worse yet, if they will let me waive math) is not an ideal way to get the best answer from a university. She'll say 'no'. What else can she say. Until the head of disability services actually 'has' your scores and Report from your psychologist, there is no way at all to know what accommodations a college will or will not give the student. So, basically, it's seldom about which colleges will allow a student to substitute math credits and more about what kind of documentation the student brings the college and if that student can be happy with a Liberal Arts degree, rather than something requiring more math like medical, psychology, engineer, business, or architect. For those types of degree which require extra math courses, trying to get College Algebra substituted isn't really practical. Each college program has its own requirements and I would see it as a waste of time to try to get math substituted for the curriculums I listed above. Very few forum members lately have hit a complete brick wall at their colleges regarding getting math substituted. Thanks for your question and interest. - jus'

RottieWoman
#78 Print Post
Posted on February 12 2013 02:55 PM

I tend to agree with 'jus

having said that, I -did- come across a thread from mid July'08 in Education that has a few college names listed.

But, again, without testing and documentation, the odds are low/non-existent someone could receive accommodations.
The other thing is - even with a list of any kind - my suggestion is there's too much left to chance if relying purely on a list....things vary dramatically throughout the years in educational institutions, and within the institutions and individual colleges and departments - policies/rules/standards and "un-official" means float and shimmer around and different people "know" different things.
Best bet - assume nothing, make direct contact, get a paper trail going and "cover yourself" over and over.....

Now, taking a different tack, there are reliable/accredited colleges specifically for people with significant or severe LD <and no, I do not mean people with cognitive disabilities; I specify because sometimes seems to be interchangeably used and sometimes I have come across people assuming that if someone wants or "needs" a program or college like this, it "must" be because the person has a cognitive or global neurological disability>
Anyway, those colleges will by default be geared toward the needs of someone with LD but I'd still follow the same path in investigation as I mentioned above-

justfoundout
#79 Print Post
Posted on February 14 2013 03:13 AM

2/13/13
Good point about those colleges that are geared toward people with LD's, RW. List a few names if you know them? - jus'

RottieWoman
#80 Print Post
Posted on February 14 2013 02:16 PM

thanks, 'jus - sure:

http://www.beacon... <FL; does specify "math disabilities" in its listing on first page, too>

http://www.landma... <VT>

http://www.hartfo...fault.aspx

That's what I've heard of or found specifically. While I was gathering those I also came across this list: http://concordspe...es-LD.html
It describes various New England area programs like those above, and others that are alleged to have LD- supportive plans and environments.

This is another list I found like the one above - but has wider-ranging colleges in it, like in Midwest etc. http://kaarme.com...e_Programs

I see UW-Oshkosh <http://kaarme.com/ld_cp> is in there- during college I went to a few local LDA conventions and met a friend there who was attending Oshkosh. I went with her one day to meet with OshKosh's LD dpt. director and saw first-hand some about their program; it actually was more comprehensive than mine at my university in the same state. She had great things to say about the director and the program.

For anyone reading- this listing at bottom of same page as those above- offers names of programs that are more tailored toward basic social support/basic skills readiness for higher-learning, for people who have very severe LD, cognitive disabilities or may be considered "borderline" - dual-diagnosis. Some of my clients at the social services agency where I worked after college were in this "borderline" category:
Instead of copying more text, here is the heading for that category:

VII. Non Degree Programs (Living and Social Skills):
Edited by RottieWoman on February 14 2013 02:31 PM

Jump to Forum: