Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Colleges that substitute math.
rippingheartout
#41 Print Post
Posted on June 12 2010 09:49 AM

Bad I am bad at everything I guess, yesterday I had math exam, I failed it.
I haven't found something that I am good at... I can't draw.. I can't do pretty much thingsSad

justfoundout
#42 Print Post
Posted on June 12 2010 01:38 PM

6/12/10
Dear rippinghearout,
From one of your first posts, I learned that you are a 17 year old boy in Eastern Europe. Rip, remember please, that the people in your life who have meant the most to you haven't gained this place in your heart due to their ability in math, nor their adherence to some scientific 'goal' for themselves. It would be that person's human warmth and caring, for you and for others, that endears that person to you. This is what you can be 'good at'. A caring person encourages others, and gets invited to participate with others in their endeavors. Sometimes there are too many 'chiefs' and not enough 'indians'. Not everyone has to 'lead', otherwise there wouldn't be enough followers. But even when we are 'following' or just 'supporting', we still get to choose what we will 'follow' or 'support'. There are many wholesome, upright, and beneficial things to learn and in which to become involved, and our choices are, to a great extent, what makes us important to those we serve. Sorry about the math exam. I've been there and done that. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on June 12 2011 02:50 PM

mirenita1
#43 Print Post
Posted on August 10 2010 07:43 PM

Hi, I came across both this post doing a search on Google for "Colleges that waive math". Guess I'm not the only one searching & hoping! Anyway I wanted to add that Naropa University (CO), may not require math. Same for the BA program at California Institute of Integral Studies- there maybe one math class, but it is completely non-traditional, it's taught in a "Liberal Arts" fashion, ex, how math manifests in art, symbolism, architecture, the cosmos, etc. JFK University might require math (double check), but even if they do, it may be taught in more "Liberal Arts" fashion as well. That said, none of these programs have an online option for Undergrad. Tuition is also pretty high...

Thomas Edison State University offers online degree programs, but you do have to take math. They offer one course, I think it's called "MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics" & if I remember correctly, there were no prerequisites at least. I would also double check how many times you can repeat the course should you not pass.

Funny, until 1998/99, the Cal State University college system used to accept Philosophy Logic as a substitute for math, and there were no prerequisites for that class. I don't understand why they can't (or won't) reverse that decision.

Personal opinion: I honestly feel that if one takes a math class, studies hard, is never late to class, respectful, but still doesn't pass their exams, the professor should just let them pass based on effort. I don't know how many times I've heard stories from people close to me who repeated a math class from 4-8 times, & the professor STILL wouldn't just pass them, even though they knew that person tried hard & wasn't trying to become a science or math major. OK, rant over. Wink

justfoundout
#44 Print Post
Posted on August 11 2010 12:52 AM

8/10/10
Dear mirenita1,
Thank you for that very informative addition to our database. Nice to meet you and I hope you'll be back to chat again later. We have a lot of different Threads here on the forum, and another one may hold interest for you. BTW, both my former chiropractor and my former art teacher say that they would never have passed math had it not been for a kind professor who had mercy on them. And, yes, Logic has sometimes been held in equal esteem with math, but it seems to have lost it's footing in recent years. - jus'

mirenita1
#45 Print Post
Posted on March 18 2011 08:01 AM

I know it's been a long time since this thread was posted, and since I last posted, but I wanted to add something. In the event that you must take math in college, I would check out the potential math teacher on www.ratemyprofess... You search by state, college name, and teacher name. Many friends of mine found good, merciful math teachers that way, (& avoided the really difficult, unhelpful and/or arrogant ones) and were able to move on with their education. Cool

mirenita1
#46 Print Post
Posted on March 18 2011 08:02 AM

justfoundout wrote:
8/10/10
Dear mirenita1,
Thank you for that very informative addition to our database. Nice to meet you and I hope you'll be back to chat again later. We have a lot of different Threads here on the forum, and another one may hold interest for you. BTW, both my former chiropractor and my former art teacher say that they would never have passed math had it not been for a kind professor who had mercy on them. And, yes, Logic has sometimes been held in equal esteem with math, but it seems to have lost it's footing in recent years. - jus'

Thanks for the welcome! Nice to make your acquaintance. Smile

moxfactor
#47 Print Post
Posted on May 01 2011 08:25 PM

Hazel wrote:
The Evergreen State College, www.evergreen.edu, in Olympia, WA.

This is a state college and is quite affordable once you establish residency. It is probably the one place a math-disabled person could get a science degree nonetheless a BA or a Master's.

so wonderful to see a thread like this for upcoming college students. wish i knew about this back in the early 90's. my life would've been a lot different with a degree and not just training certs. having a degree, no matter how little it seems to be worth these days, is still very valuable. if anything, being an alumnus of somewhere can help your career and private life later on in so many different ways.

moxfactor
#48 Print Post
Posted on May 01 2011 08:30 PM

mirenita1 wrote:

Personal opinion: I honestly feel that if one takes a math class, studies hard, is never late to class, respectful, but still doesn't pass their exams, the professor should just let them pass based on effort. I don't know how many times I've heard stories from people close to me who repeated a math class from 4-8 times, & the professor STILL wouldn't just pass them, even though they knew that person tried hard & wasn't trying to become a science or math major. OK, rant over. Wink

oh, i agree so much. seems like highschools maybe a little different. i'm almost certain my highschool math teacher gave me a passing grade for trying. i sure wasn't passing any exams, and barely get passes on homework, although it wasn't for a lack of trying... or asking lots of stupid questions in class...

loopy
#49 Print Post
Posted on May 15 2011 05:02 AM

Just wanted to throw this out there- college junior diagnosed with dyscalculia and visual-spatial impairment. I decided to go to a regular 4-year college. I had to take remedial math, of course.

And it was hard for me. I had to get soooooo much tutoring. And I had time and a half and use of calculators as accommodation.

But guess what... I did it! I passed, and I even got a B in both semesters. Mostly because the prof knew I was trying and helped me out.

Please, friends, please.... don't give up on going to whichever college you like best just because it requires math. Do what YOU want to do, and don't let a disability stand in your way. You can do it Smile

Now I'm done with my math requirements, and I'll be on the dean's list this semester with a 4.0!

I just wanted to say you can do it!!

justfoundout
#50 Print Post
Posted on May 15 2011 04:01 PM

5/16/11
Some State colleges in Texas, like UTA, show that they require 6 credits in math,... that would be College Algebra plus on other math course, Statistics, for example. However, the good news is that the State of Texas itself, only requires three credits in math for graduation. As far as I know, those three credits are supposed to be College Algebra. Also, in Texas, the rules are that if you finish your two year degree (Associates of Art) at a community college, that degree is supposed to transfer "as a block" to any 4-year State University. If one State college won't do this for you, keep searching, because some 'will'!!!- ;) - jus'

BadatMath
#51 Print Post
Posted on June 11 2011 02:17 AM

evie dee wrote:
http://www.wayne.edu-Detroit, MI.
Wayne State University will waive the math requirement as long as you provide documentation that you have dyscalculia.

I should of gone there but it's too far for me.

justfoundout
#52 Print Post
Posted on June 12 2011 02:52 PM

6/12/11
Dear BadatMath,
The University of Texas at Arlington has a great Head of Disability Services. With a dyscalculia diagnosis, you would be thoroughly supported there. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on June 12 2011 02:53 PM

pisceschild
#53 Print Post
Posted on June 20 2011 07:52 PM

I know the post listing the Weslayan college in Ft. Worth is old. But, I hate to break it to you that they verified that the stated information that they do not require a math course OR that you can take science, logic, or anything else in lieu of it is 100% false. I just got off the phone with an associate in the admissions department and she advised me that you can take 2 maths and one science or two sciences and one math, but you absolutely, positively cannot get by with skipping math altogether. Wish it were true, but have to tell everyone that it is false.
Edited by pisceschild on June 20 2011 07:52 PM

justfoundout
#54 Print Post
Posted on June 21 2011 02:42 AM

6/20/11
Texas Wesleyan College requires College Algebra, as do most colleges. It would be necessary for a student to file bonafide proof of a Learning Disability called dyscalculia with the Office of Disability Services before that student could be considered for having their College Algebra credits waived or substituted. Colleges always deal with this matter on an individual basis. I would fully expect an associate in the admissions department of Texas Wesleyan college to give exactly the information that you were given. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on June 21 2011 02:45 AM

GP
#55 Print Post
Posted on November 02 2011 02:19 PM

Does anyone know of any colleges in Illinois that waive their math requirements? I'm especially interested in the Chicago area. I'm also interested in info about schools that might be willing to especially accomodate students with severe math disabilities, even if they are unwilling to waive the requirements.

Thanks!
P.S. I'm new to this forum and think it is woderful that you are here.

squeakymonster
#56 Print Post
Posted on November 02 2011 06:47 PM

At Northern Michigan University, you can take two Science classes instead of a math class, and you don't even have to be diagnosed with an LD to do it. I took Psychology without the lab, and Biology with the lab before my diagnosis, and I don't have to take a math class. Several people do this to avoid taking math, LD or not!
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

RottieWoman
#57 Print Post
Posted on November 02 2011 08:48 PM

welcome, GP!

I came across this when I was trying to search for answer to your question, don't know how useful but you can look and see: http://liberalstu.../index.asp

<from DePaul U.>
Edited by RottieWoman on November 02 2011 08:49 PM

LittleLionMan
#58 Print Post
Posted on November 29 2011 03:26 AM

Not many California colleges that waive math Sad

I will continue looking for colleges in CA that waive math. In the meantime at CC, I took my placement exam and I am in the lowest class math level and this semester will not be credited towards my CSU transfer units. A 4 year break from school in the miltary service did not help my math skills at all. Frown

justfoundout
#59 Print Post
Posted on November 30 2011 11:18 PM

11/30/11
Do you have your diagnosis? I've forgotten.

When the Head of the Office for Students with Disabilities is sensitive to our math issues, then the Chairs of the other departments will likely cooperate. In my college, the Disability Office sends a form to the Chair of the Department in which you seek a degree, asking if the math credits can be substituted. Asking that the math credits be waived altogether may be hoping for a little too much. I took Logic to replace College Algebra.

It is unlikely that any college will tell a caller on the phone that 'yes, we will waive your math credits!' When a student has his or her bona fide documentation of an LD files with the Disability Office, and the Head of that office can see the diagnosis and the recommendations of the psychologist, then you can finally find out whether or not they will allow you to substitute your math credits. Sad but true. - jus'

lina_zeldovich
#60 Print Post
Posted on January 22 2012 04:42 AM

Many writing/journalism programs don't care what math scores you get, including grad schools. Columbia University MFA and journalism schools don't; New York City University Creative writing and journalism schools don't; also New York University. I've heard the same thing about many arts programs.

Jump to Forum: