Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
Colleges that substitute math.
justfoundout
#21 Print Post
Posted on August 30 2009 04:09 PM

8/30/09
Thanks, Chadzilla. - jus'

Addy
#22 Print Post
Posted on August 30 2009 07:00 PM

Grinnell College allowed me to replace my stats req with a language credit, and there are no distribution or general ed reqs. While I was there it was not a great place for LD students, but that was awhile ago, and the school seems to have taken some steps.

Their student advising office website at least mentions LD now, but how much of that is lawyers and how much is actual understanding I'm not sure. Student support and academic advising is now headed by its own Dean. When I was there the academic adviser was subordinate to the Dean of Academics who completely ignored her requests that they get with the program on behalf of their LD students. I suspect that the fact that the current college president came to Grinnell from Cornell's Law School has something to do with that fact.

Dyscalculia isn't on their disabled services website: http://www.grinne...yservices/

So I'm going to write to them and ask them to change that Smile

I looked at a lot of schools that didn't have requirements for course distribution or general ed. I didn't know I had dyscalculia yet, but I knew I sucked at math and didn't want to have to take it ever again.

If you're an LD student looking at Grinnell, send me a PM and I'll tell you what it was like for me.
Edited by Addy on August 30 2009 07:26 PM
squidoo.com/mathld
squidoo.com/writi...
squidoo.com/LDsid...
www.AddaptAbiliti...
www.wellorderedch...

www.addaptabilities.com
justfoundout
#23 Print Post
Posted on August 31 2009 04:01 AM

8/30/09
Thanks for that posting, AddaptAbilities. So, Grimmell College is in the state of Iowa? I clicked on the Disability link and got this address and phone number: Grinnell College Grinnell IA 50112-1690 641-269-4000 - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on August 31 2009 04:02 AM

Pauline
#24 Print Post
Posted on September 23 2009 02:34 AM

Thanks for the posts, guys! Keep 'em coming!

alismith
#25 Print Post
Posted on November 11 2009 03:58 AM

I would check out some online schools, a lot of these waive math entirely. They are also quite a bit cheaper than formal learning institutions and you can (ironically) actually get quite a bit of personalized help.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"

justfoundout
#26 Print Post
Posted on November 11 2009 06:18 AM

11/11/09
Do you or does anyone you know have personal experience with one of them? Do you know which ones "waive math entirely"? - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on November 12 2009 05:10 AM

Addy
#27 Print Post
Posted on November 11 2009 07:32 AM

I had personal experience with Grinnell. I think I was out of town by the time you replied to my post, jus', but yeah, it's in Iowa, and that looks like their phone number (but really, what do I know Smile )
squidoo.com/mathld
squidoo.com/writi...
squidoo.com/LDsid...
www.AddaptAbiliti...
www.wellorderedch...

www.addaptabilities.com
stuckwiththis
#28 Print Post
Posted on December 03 2009 10:18 PM

I know this is slightly off-topic, but it might save someone else wondering.

As of 2008 University of Alabama at Birmingham did *not* waive math or allow substitute classes.

justfoundout
#29 Print Post
Posted on December 04 2009 02:12 AM

12/3/09
Dear stuckwiththis,
I see what you mean. Okay. And this was for people 'with' the Mathematics Disorder diagnosis, right? I'd heard from another forum friend (who hasn't been around on the forum lately) that this is where everything is 'heading'. She is about to begin working on her Masters, and someone in 'Counseling' told her that there is a 'movement' to do away with math waivers and substitutions. Also, at my CC, this is what one Counselor had heard someone 'higher'. Some of the Counselors really do care about us, and they are almost as shocked as we are when they hear this, especially since they have seen 'case after case' with our problem and how devastating it is to some people's lives. Thanks for the imput. - jus'

jacquescronje
#30 Print Post
Posted on December 05 2009 10:45 AM

justfoundout wrote:
7/22/08
Let's compile a list of Colleges and Universities that will waive math credits.

Also, if possible, give information on:
(1) contact information for that college
(2) what they will accept in lieu of the math credits
(3) location of the college
(4) whether it's a 2-year or 4-year college
(5) a web link
(6) and what portion of credits must be earned at that college in order for them to bestow the degree. (This would be helpful to anyone considering transferring there from another college.)

Texas Wesleyan University
Admissions phone: 817/ 531-4422 Primary Phone Number: 817-531-4444
Fort Worth, Texas
4-year private college
http://www.txwes....ectory.htm

Tarrant County College
call (817) 515-8223 or e-mail .
They will accept logic in lieu of math course for dyscalculics.
Fort Worth, Texas
2-year community college
http://www.tccd.e...agekey=163
Must earn 1/4 of credits at this school in order for them to bestow the degree.

Thanks for sharing the List of the Colleges. These list had helped me a lot in evaluating the which colleges are waive math credits.
boat fenders

justfoundout
#31 Print Post
Posted on December 05 2009 07:35 PM

12/5/09
You're welcome, jacquescronje. I'm glad it helps. I think that as long as there is even ONE college ANYWHERE where we can finish a degree, this gives 'hope'. - jus'

justfoundout
#32 Print Post
Posted on December 15 2009 03:42 AM

12/14/09
I just now looked at what happened above, and I'm 'laughing at myself'. It was one of those people who just drops by to leave an advertisement. See the 'boat fenders' link? It's just one, big advertisement. So, the person 'ripped' my entire post from the beginning of this Thread, thanked me for it, and I 'fell for it', telling them, "You're welcome." LOL This must have been "Be kind to Spammer's day"! LOL - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on December 15 2009 03:44 AM

penylayn
#33 Print Post
Posted on December 15 2009 09:32 PM

This thread could not have come at a better time! I was just told today that I need to have a list of schools that would take me if my CC waived my math req and I didn't know where to even begin! I am having such a time with the fellow who is suppose to be my advocate there at the school. HA! Sad Anycase -- thanks muchly for the info!

justfoundout
#34 Print Post
Posted on December 15 2009 10:36 PM

12/15/09
Dear penylayn,
I'm delighted that a real person can use what I 'thought up'! I know exactly where you are 'coming from'. In order to get my CC to give me Financial Aid for my Spring semester classes, I had to submit a 'detailed academic plan' to the Director of Financial Aid. I already knew, from previous conversations, that because I have 'way too many credits, I needed to establish that I will be transferring my AA degree credits to a 4-year University. I'd been accepted to one, which, sadly, won't take my MLD diagnosis. But, at least it 'served me' for one more semester of Financial Aid in CC. In a few months, I'll figure out something else. It amazes me that, here we are, people with LD's, and we have to have MORE creative reasoning than those with no LD,... else we'd never get a degree.

Do let me know if you need more help on this, as I've learned a little more, of late. Also, I'd need to know what State you are in. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on December 15 2009 10:39 PM

alismith
#35 Print Post
Posted on January 13 2010 01:29 AM

You could also look into getting online degrees -- a lot of online schools I've seen don't have any math requirements.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"

justfoundout
#36 Print Post
Posted on January 13 2010 02:25 AM

1/12/10
Dear alismith,
But, do you know if the colleges advertised at that link give a degree with no math requirement? - jus'

i_love_my_ducatis
#37 Print Post
Posted on March 06 2010 08:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

As of this week, I received word that my university is willing to substitute Statistics for Philosophy: Logic and Reason! I will have a BA in 5 months!!!

Their disabilities department has been great. I submitted my documentation the end of last month, they scheduled a phone appointment. Requested documentation: showing that I had failed math in the past (at com. college). Disability Documentation from my c. college testing center. *They didn't ask...but I sent my transcript to show that I had good grades-to show the discrepancy between math and my other work.

So add:
Washington State University-Distance Learning Programs
WSU-DDP

Smile

justfoundout
#38 Print Post
Posted on March 06 2010 11:42 PM

3/6/10
Thanks for that addition to our list, I_love_my_ducatis. So, instead of having to take Statistics, at that Uni, a person with a MLD could be allowed to substitute those Statistics credits by taking either Philosophy, Logic, or Reasoning? I hope that I have that right. If you happen to have the information available without too much trouble, could you give us please the Course Number on those three subjects that would be accepted? And, is there only one 'Statistics' class listed, or do we need to know the Course Number for that also?

I'm asking this because it took me several consultations with the Head Dean at my cc before I could establish which Philosophy Class that I needed to take to substitute my College Algebra credits. And, the most local 4-year Uni will not accept that same Level of Logic (under Philosophy) that the cc has accepted. Thanks again for that information. - jus'

i_love_my_ducatis
#39 Print Post
Posted on March 07 2010 03:49 AM

Jus,

Yes, I'm being allowed to substitute a PHIL 201 Logic and Reason course to meet my math req. Which the math req. was statistics or college math. I finally was able to get documentation from the community college, WSU did not even need such extensive documentation! My phone interview with the LD adviser at the univ was about 15 minutes tops!

Washington State Univ. distance learning allows you to transfer in at the sophomore level. I transferred from University of Oregon and a community college. One downside is that if you're not in Washington State-you pay out of state tuition. But you also have to think...having a degree will pay off in the long run! hahaha not taking math 80 times...is worth the out of state tuition!

The distance learning worked well for me for the following:
1. I could work at night when it was quiet
2. I could re-read questions, texts and not feel pressured to hurry.
3. It worked around my work schedule.
4. I'm very driven and have good time management.
5. You're not in a noisy classroom distracted by the talking!
Smile PS they said I could take the PHIL 201 at community college.

justfoundout wrote:
3/6/10
Thanks for that addition to our list, I_love_my_ducatis. So, instead of having to take Statistics, at that Uni, a person with a MLD could be allowed to substitute those Statistics credits by taking either Philosophy, Logic, or Reasoning? I hope that I have that right. If you happen to have the information available without too much trouble, could you give us please the Course Number on those three subjects that would be accepted? And, is there only one 'Statistics' class listed, or do we need to know the Course Number for that also?

I'm asking this because it took me several consultations with the Head Dean at my cc before I could establish which Philosophy Class that I needed to take to substitute my College Algebra credits. And, the most local 4-year Uni will not accept that same Level of Logic (under Philosophy) that the cc has accepted. Thanks again for that information. - jus'

Edited by i_love_my_ducatis on March 07 2010 03:50 AM

justfoundout
#40 Print Post
Posted on March 08 2010 05:04 PM

3/8/10

Thank you so much for that information, I-love-my-ducatis. I read it, but I know that, if I try to 'use' that information, I'll be wanting to contact you again. Please, if you haven't already done so, would you 'tie in' your profile so that, when someone sends you a PM (private message), you'll also get a 'notice' sent automatically to your private email? I'm asking this of you because I know that sometimes we can get very busy, and coming here to the forum is what has to be temporarily eliminated from our schedules. I'll still want to be able to 'give you a holler' from time to time. - jus

Jump to Forum: