Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 10

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Anyone going to Summer School for Math?
Numb
#1 Print Post
Posted on July 02 2008 04:43 AM

So i failed math yet againAngry... and now i have to go to summer school.
Well here's the thing, i was recently diagnosed with Dyscalculia, but i don't have the paper officially stating that i have this LD, i get this paper in September when school starts up again. Should i just tell the summer school teacher i have a learning disability in math, because i don't want them thinking I'm just being lazy and not trying. Will they believe me??? I'm freaking out here, i can't afford to fail this course!

Any Suggestions?

UPDATE: I am currently getting 30% in class Sad in other words I'm failing yet again Angry

UPDATE 2: The math Exam is this Friday, I'm getting 28 %
There is NO WAY I'm passing this SadAngry

UPDATE 3: Ok some good and bad news

Good news: Got the paper stating i have dyscaluclia Grin
Bad News: I failed the course Shock
Edited by Numb on August 01 2008 10:47 PM

Laura
#2 Print Post
Posted on July 02 2008 08:45 AM

WOW!!! there is actually a thing called a Summer School for Maths. Don't think we have them in Scotland. I am not too sure about what you should do Numb. Howvever

GOOD LUCK IN SUMMER SCHOOL Smile
BEEN THERE DONE THAT, GOT THE T-SHIRT

Simone Rogers
#3 Print Post
Posted on July 02 2008 10:37 AM

Good luck!Smile

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on July 02 2008 11:52 AM

7/2/08
Dear Numb,
I see your predicament. I'll offer you the only experience that I have. It's what came to my mind as soon as I read your question. This experience of mine is not directly regarding school. It happened at work.

I was having to quit a job because it was heavily financial and fast paced. The manager and the new manager she was training had called me into their office for the second time regarding me not seeming to be 'catching on'. I had only found about dyscalculia a month earlier and, though I was working on getting an appointment for free testing, I had not been tested yet. I could see that I wasn't going to be able to keep the job that I was in, but I wanted (just like you) the people I had been working for to understand that I'd been trying to do my best. I told them about dyscalculia and that I was trying to get an appointment to get tested for it.

Somewhere in the conversation regarding dyscalculia, one of the managers made a suggestion regarding getting an agency to give me future 'job placement' help since I have dyscalculia. I reminded them that I had not yet been tested for dyscalculia,... that up until that time, I had only 'self-diagnosed' myself as dyscalculic, but agreed that theirs was a good suggestion to follow, as soon as I had been tested and received a positive diagnosis. And we continued with our conversation.

My point in all this (for you) is that my managers had evidently 'seen enough' so that once I offered them the very logical explanation for what they had been seeing, everything fell right into place for them. It was so logical that they began talking about my dyscalculia as though it were already a proven fact. They didn't treat it as a remote possibility.

If you do go ahead and tell your present educators that you've been diagnosed as having dyscalculia, and that before school starts again in September, you'll be getting the official document stating your condition, I would venture to say that they will probably believe you 'on the spot'. I would also venture to say that they will probably try to get whatever proof of your diagnosis that they could get their hands on before they give you your final grade. If they are nice people, they will probably do whatever they can to make the outcome of your present class affect you favorably. If they aren't 'nice people' or if they have some 'agenda' which could be adversely affected by your announcement, then they could do something with the information you give them that you won't like.

I think,... go with the idea that they'll use what you tell them to help you. Let's hope that they are 'nice people' and that they will put their own knowledge of how the system works together with what you tell them and do the best they can to help you.

That's what I'll be hoping for for you. Amazingly, failing the course might even work in your favor. It could even substantiate the dyscalculia diagnoses, leading to their letting you take some different course that you are GOOD AT to replace those math credits. You are already doing the best you can. Colossians 3:23 says, "Whatever YOU are doing, work at it whole-souled as to Jehovah, and not to men,... " I'll be hoping for the best possible outcome for you.
justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on July 02 2008 11:57 AM

Lostinspatial
#5 Print Post
Posted on July 02 2008 12:48 PM

Can the folks who did the testing make themselves available for the teacher to talk to? Also, I don't know your age, but if it's before college, can your parents talk to the teacher?

evie dee
#6 Print Post
Posted on July 03 2008 08:41 PM

Numb wrote:
So i failed math yet againAngry... and now i have to go to summer school.
Well here's the thing, i was recently diagnosed with Dyscalculia, but i don't have the paper officially stating that i have this LD, i get this paper in September when school starts up again. Should i just tell the summer school teacher i have a learning disability in math, because i don't want them thinking I'm just being lazy and not trying. Will they believe me??? I'm freaking out here, i can't afford to fail this course!

Any Suggestions?

Before you tell, I would get some sort of documentation stating that you have it. You should have no problem being waived from the math program. Usually, you have to wait until September in order for the waiver to pass.

http://myspace.com/evie_dee
Numb
#7 Print Post
Posted on July 06 2008 12:22 AM

Well i told the teacher i have Dyscalculia and she said there is not much she can do about it, other then give me extra time on tests. Well it's better then nothing i suppose. I guess i will just have to be patient and wait.

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on July 06 2008 12:52 AM

7/5/08
Dear Numb,
I'm sorry that you couldn't get more out of it. At the beginning of this semester, before I even knew there was such a thing as a math disability, I emailed my instructor to get some help about copying from his notes instead of the board. He's a nice man, but he got 'uppity' with me ("I thought I'd already addressed that," is what he said.) He made it sound like I was trying to get something that I wasn't entitled to, even though he was writing it on the BOARD! Until I get the positive diagnosis, I've got the same problem you have.

The good news is that you WILL be able to get your degree. I could have had a degree LAST YEAR if I'd known about dyscalculia and the test. I'd talked every semester to the dean of counselors about my math problem and he didn't even seem interested, much less tell me that others had had the math credits waived. He just listened and nodded, and looked around for whoever he could help next. It was a dyscalculic paralegal who happened to call me at my receptionist job when she was applying for a job opening, who told me she'd had her math credits waived at a local college. Without her, I wouldn't even know that there was a way for me to get my degree.

I wish that more could be done for you. Have you tried to contact the 'test' people to tell them you need the documentation sooner? Do you have their contact info?
justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on July 06 2008 12:54 AM

Numb
#9 Print Post
Posted on July 10 2008 04:38 AM

Well like i said before in my previous post she can only do so much, like give me extra time on tests. I have the contact information of the school psychologist who diagnosed me, but he takes his summer off and said he will get back to me ASAP with the official documentation ( I'm assuming this will be in August when summer school is finished Angry). So i guess for now i have to work my hardest at passing this course.

Thanks for the help justfoundoutSmile

justfoundout
#10 Print Post
Posted on July 10 2008 11:35 AM

7/10/08
Hi Numb,
You're trying to pass high school at this time, right? This isn't a college 'developmental' course, is it? I'm just trying to orient myself about what you're trying to pass.

Did you see the site that our member "lost" has started? She's dyscalculic, but wants to help others. She's doing higher maths for her degree. Here's her link:
http://dyscalculi...free4.com/

In my above post, when I said "Have you tried to contact the 'test' people to tell them you need the documentation sooner?", I was meaning the psychologist who did your dyscalculia test, not the teacher who said she'd give you extra time on tests. But I guess you're saying that, even with the positive diagnoses from the dyscalculia test, more time on your tests is all the present teacher can do for you. And really, that about sums it up. For me, the only thing that the school system could do better is only teach about half as much math stuff per semester. The material they cover is covered too quickly for me. There's not time for it to 'sink in'. It just flies past me.

Is this your last year of High School?
justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on July 10 2008 11:45 AM

Numb
#11 Print Post
Posted on July 11 2008 04:09 AM

I'm going into Grade 12 this year (my final and last year). Yes i was talking about the psychologist who diagnosed me, he gave me his contact information but there is not much i can do but wait. Like you said even with the results the teacher can't do anything. Thanks for the link I'll check it out Wink

dysnumeria
#12 Print Post
Posted on July 11 2008 08:35 PM

Professor Orly Rubinsten and colleagues found that methylphenidate affects the arithmetic performance of children in different ways, but its effects are not only on children with ADHD. When they received methylphenidate, the active ingredient in Ritalin, children had higher correct responding on problems requiring them to follow a series of steps than when they didnít receive the drug; in contrast, there were no differences between drug and no-drug conditions on simpler tasks. The study included children with dyscalculia.
Hope this helps!
Dysnumeria

Numb
#13 Print Post
Posted on July 11 2008 09:20 PM

Professor Orly Rubinsten and colleagues found that methylphenidate affects the arithmetic performance of children in different ways, but its effects are not only on children with ADHD. When they received methylphenidate, the active ingredient in Ritalin, children had higher correct responding on problems requiring them to follow a series of steps than when they didnít receive the drug; in contrast, there were no differences between drug and no-drug conditions on simpler tasks. The study included children with dyscalculia.
Hope this helps!
Dysnumeria

So your saying i should get medicated?Angry Are you Crazy?

Numb
#14 Print Post
Posted on July 12 2008 06:24 AM

Laura wrote:
WOW!!! there is actually a thing called a Summer School for Maths. Don't think we have them in Scotland. I am not too sure about what you should do Numb. Howvever

GOOD LUCK IN SUMMER SCHOOL Smile

Yes there is summer school for every subject here, English, History, Sciences Etc

Laura
#15 Print Post
Posted on July 12 2008 10:29 AM

Cool, lucky you we do not have anything like that here- well i don't think we do anyway. I think if we did i may have had to do it heehee!!! Grin

When do you start your summer school?

BEEN THERE DONE THAT, GOT THE T-SHIRT

Numb
#16 Print Post
Posted on July 12 2008 04:45 PM

Laura wrote:
Cool, lucky you we do not have anything like that here- well i don't think we do anyway. I think if we did i may have had to do it heehee!!! Grin

When do you start your summer school?

Summer school already started on July 2nd, It goes from July 2nd till the 27th i believe. So only two more weeks of math to go *sigh*.

justfoundout
#17 Print Post
Posted on July 12 2008 07:30 PM

7/12/08
I see that this is a very lively Thread, so I'm going to post something here that I want you to see. In Eugene Oregon is Lane Community College. At this college they have a unique (and I think 'better') way of teaching algebra. I'll just put a little of the info here, and the web address. If you'll go to the web address there's LOTS more info and personal accounts of students that have been helped. Please check it out. - justfoundout

"Developmental Algebra Modules is a program to increase success ... Developmental Algebra: includes the beginning and intermediate levels of ... Developmental algebra is generally considered to include the beginning and ...
http://teach.lane...posal.html

- 78k - Cached - Similar pages
Clicking on this gave me the first page of a table of contents, and further down the following info: Flexible Sequence Algebra at Lane Community CollegeLane Community College (Lane) requests a $310,271grant over three years to pilot an innovative approach to teaching intermediate algebra."
Edited by eoffg on July 13 2008 05:28 AM

eoffg
#18 Print Post
Posted on July 13 2008 05:51 AM

Administrator

Hi JustSmile,
To post a link, after you type it in. Select it, then click the url button.

It does provide a more effective way to learn algebra, breaking it down into 2 week modules. So that a student is tested on that module, before moving onto the next one.
So that if a student doesn't pass it, then the problem is identified straight away. So that they will then redo that 2 week module straight way.
Rather than waiting until the end of the year test, and then having to redo the whole year again.
But it also addresses another important issue about maths learning, in that it is cumulative. It is built one step at a time.
If one step isn't understood, then what follows, wont make sense.

Geoff,

evie dee
#19 Print Post
Posted on July 13 2008 08:57 PM

eoffg wrote:
Hi JustSmile,
To post a link, after you type it in. Select it, then click the url button.

It does provide a more effective way to learn algebra, breaking it down into 2 week modules. So that a student is tested on that module, before moving onto the next one.
So that if a student doesn't pass it, then the problem is identified straight away. So that they will then redo that 2 week module straight way.
Rather than waiting until the end of the year test, and then having to redo the whole year again.
But it also addresses another important issue about maths learning, in that it is cumulative. It is built one step at a time.
If one step isn't understood, then what follows, wont make sense.

Geoff,

Hi, Geoof.
In a way, that does make sense. Teaching math in two weke inrememnts instead of a week. It's a little longer, but it sounds more effective.

http://myspace.com/evie_dee
justfoundout
#20 Print Post
Posted on July 13 2008 09:22 PM

7/13/08
Dear Geoff,
Exactly! The writings about Lane Community College in Eugene Oregon especially mention 'adults returning to college' (that's me). By the time we are 'adults returning to college', we don't have time to keep 'getting behind' in a class, failing, and then waiting til next semester, and next, and next, to get to do the little part that we weren't understanding. Also, sometimes we get sick, or a friend dies, or have an acute financial problem, so we miss learning something. With the Lane method, it isn't such a major set back to re-take just the module. And, yes, CUMMULATIVE! Because math is cummulative is the reason, in my opinion, that none of the 'dyslexia' remedies work for 'dyscalculia'. More time on tests is always nice. Since I do times tables on my fingers, I need more time. But 'more time' only helps get the right answer if there's something sitting in your head, waiting to be accessed and analyzed. 'More time' has no practical purpose if the student has no idea how to begin to solve the math problem.

Where's the url button, please?
justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on July 13 2008 09:25 PM

Jump to Forum: