Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,048
· Newest Member: Nicki Holmes

View Thread

Print Thread
Dear . . .
Lostinspatial
#61 Print Post
Posted on September 29 2008 01:20 PM

Sometimes therapy can help. You did a good thing about spreading awareness.

Dulcy
#62 Print Post
Posted on September 29 2008 02:17 PM

Dear (insert name of any and all schools I ever attended),

I frigging told you so.

Dulcy

Dear Jamie,
You know, in light of what I know now, it's even funnier than ever that you made me run the till, and way more ironic. All things considered, I guess I did okay. But I'd still never let you live down that you assigned a dyscalculic to run a freaking cash register. Pfft

Wish like hell I could tell you this to your face. We could have a good laugh together. But maybe when you die, you get to know everything anyway, so I hope if you do, you get a chuckle.

Miss you, buddy.

Dulcy
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?"
The Summer Day by Mary Oliver

http://www.fivedollarmail.blogspot.com/
Lostinspatial
#63 Print Post
Posted on October 24 2008 03:52 PM

Dear Dr. L,

Did you get your psychologist license out of a crackerjack box? First off, for someone who is in the profession of testing for LDs, you should realize someone being bright doesn't preclude the possibility of a LD. Did you miss that day in class?

Oh & I particularly appreciate the dismissive remarks you made such as since I had jumped through all of the hoops we might as well do this (the testing). Said after you sighed and asked if the screener knew I had a Masters degree. Because right, the screener's going to forget to ask and I'm not going to mention it when we're talking about something that involves education. But maybe you're projecting your own incompetence onto others.

And I've had it with your passive-agressive foot dragging and game playing in releasing my IQ scores to the competent tester I found. I've been trying for over a month now to get you to forward the scores I didn't berate you as the incompetent, unprofessional you are when I changed testers. I merely wrote (in my release letter):

I've opted to go through [other testing center] to evaluate my possible visual spatial processing disorder. Thank you for your time and efforts with IQ testing

I left several voice mails to find out what the status of the test score release was. You finally got back to me only to tell me you were going to try to send it out this week. Which you still haven't. When the tester called, either you or someone else there told her I hadn't sent a release to give the information to her. Which I did (specifically mentioning the tester by name/organization). Which was confirmed by both you & staff when I called to confirm this. You're wreaking havoc with my schedule and the tester's schedule with your behavior.

I fail to see why you're reacting this way. But let me tell you, you are mere steps away from a letter of complaint to the director of your organization and/or a complaint with the NY state enity which licenses psychologists. I didn't want a confontation or to be difficult, I merely wanted to be evaluated to see if I have a visual spatial LD. I am tired of you and your nonsense.
Edited by Lostinspatial on October 24 2008 04:01 PM

justfoundout
#64 Print Post
Posted on October 24 2008 04:45 PM

10/24/08
Dear Lisa_,
Besides thoses two entities that you mentioned, a person helping me also advised me to send a letter to the entity paying the psychologist for the testing. In my case, I wasn't paying for it myself. If there is an insurance company paying for part of your testing, this might be another place to send a letter? My "letter writing" is regarding the report that accompanies my test scores and is for slightly different reasons from yours (as I'm sure you've deducted by now from what I've posted on other Threads). - justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on October 24 2008 04:45 PM

reverend blamo
#65 Print Post
Posted on October 27 2008 01:15 AM

As if you need compounded stress while being tested and going through all that is required for that.
J.F.O. might have a point there, is there an "advocate" at the insurance company? I imagine they want you to get what they are paying for.
"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
Elvis Costello

jacquiw
#66 Print Post
Posted on November 27 2008 08:08 AM

Dear mum I am sorry you never have felt able to accept that I have a problem with maths and with directions and sequencing among other things. You are always ready to tell everyone about your 'stupid' daughter the one who takes after her father.There is of course nothing like that in your family you are so perfect yourself what an example NOT!

Thankyou dad for trying so hard all those years ago to help me. Teaching me how to read a deck of cards and play dominoes and tell time because I had such a hard time with numbers. You did the best you could and there was no one there to help you help me and you knew I wasn't stupid.
You told me if I could read I could do anything. You taught me to read when I was 3 because I was so curious to know what were so engrossed in, you and mum were such voracious readers.

Thankyou to the teacher I had in first year high school who made up games to try to help me learn maths. You were so patient with me and told me it was ok when I had to re do the puzzles more than once due to a "brain freeze". You were the only teacher I ever had who didn't blame me for not being able to grasp the numbers and hold them in my head.
I am sorry I have forgotten your name and that I only had you for a few months before you were transferred. I have never passed maths before or since you taught me.I hope you had a good life.

To all the people who have ever made me feel unworthy or stupid , I hope you will get tenfold the grief you have caused me and others who don't quite fit the stereotype.
May your chooks turn into emus and peck your dunny down and when they peck your dunny down, I hope they peck on YOU!
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest you armpits and nether regions to !!!!

CheshireKat
#67 Print Post
Posted on November 27 2008 04:04 PM

Dear 6th grade math teacher,

Overall, I really liked you. In fact, I still do. But I have never forgotten that day in math class when you made me come up to the front of the room and do out a math problem on the board you KNEW I didn't know how to do. Then, when you realized that I still did not know how to do long division, you made a huge deal about it in front of the entire class, humiliating me, and made me do step-by-step long division on the board while everyone watched. I have never forgotten that, because in every math class I was ever in from that point forward, I was known as, "The really smart girl who can't do math." Like I said, I still like you as a person... but I'll never forget that. Please don't ever do that to another student of yours... you just never know.

Best,

Kat
Edited by CheshireKat on November 27 2008 04:05 PM
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

evie dee 2
#68 Print Post
Posted on January 19 2009 07:43 PM

evie dee wrote:
Post deleted!

Dear peeps,
Psot has been deleted by me.
Love,
Evie dee

chlesch
#69 Print Post
Posted on January 20 2009 09:26 PM

Dear Prof. W.,

I just want to thank you for what you did for me, my freshman year in college. I had avoided math all through high school and then, when math came up as a prerequisite for my declared major, I signed up for the class with trepidation and downright fear. Somehow you sensed this during the first week. And, rather than bash me over the head and demonstrate how inept I was, you took me aside and quizzed me. When we both realized that there wasn't a snowball's chance of my even placing in the course, you worked with me and my advisor to find alternatives within my major which would avoid the necessity of a math curriculum. Thanks to that effort, I graduated without disastrous grades and humiliation in front of my peers.

Disastra
#70 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2009 06:42 PM

Dad,
How difficult it must have been for you, the human calculator, to have had a daughter who wouldn't try hard enough to understand mathematics. What heartache it no doubt caused you. This would be why you tortured a small girl with the task of repeating her times tables when she most obviously struggled to extricate herself from the quick-sand swamp into which they dragged her. Why you grew louder and angrier with each calculation she refused to concentrate enough upon to work out.
How it must have pained you to watch her tears that did not work as an excuse to get out of doing your mathematical exercises, to realise just how stupid she must be not to understand YOUR easy way of working them out even after you'd shouted them into her defiantly uncomprehending face so very many times.
How ashamed you must have felt, having to ask the help of an aunt to try to make her understand that she could not get away with this laziness forever. How relieved to have her trapped in a cold back room copying out numbers for aeons whilst her normal friends drifted away into the summer.
How harsh it must have been to have a daughter with exceptional ability in english who would never amount to anything, never get into university, never get a decent job, because she flatly refused to work at the maths that had become a mountainous slog of stomach gnawing fear and nerve jangling trepidation to her.
Please accept my apologies.
If life hands you a ruled notebook, write the other way around.

justfoundout
#71 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2009 08:50 PM

3/3/09
Good job, Disastrous. I'm sure that you speak for many on this forum,... and speak very eloquently, I might add. I wish there were a 'compassionate' smiley face that I could add here. - jus'

RottieWoman
#72 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2009 09:12 PM

yes, d, I agree!

In my <humble> opinion, u could if you liked, change your "call" or nick to something reflective of the beauty I read in what you wrote. Smile

RottieWoman
#73 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2009 09:14 PM

oh, ya know what I was reading "disastrous" and I looked back and saw what I thought was "Disastra" as your nick, so excuse me if my suggestion is not appropriate or not liked Smile

Disastra
#74 Print Post
Posted on March 04 2009 01:06 PM

Thank you, very much. Although I am subliminaly aware that my writing is quite fair i do, still, find it extremely difficult to accept that it is any talent of note. Praise such as you give truly helps with the confidence issues.
Hehe Disastrous would suit me also. I appear to wear chaos like a voluminous cloak effecting everything about me.
If life hands you a ruled notebook, write the other way around.

CheshireKat
#75 Print Post
Posted on March 04 2009 03:39 PM

I know this is strange to say but Disastra, every time I read what you've written, I imagine a very proper British accent saying it. I know it's because your sidebar says you're from Wales, U.K. so that just put the Brit accent in my head... but it amuses me so much because I love British accents. Smile I think that makes me love reading your posts even more, because I don't imagine anyone else in a British accent, just you!
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

elena532
#76 Print Post
Posted on June 22 2009 07:44 AM

[quote]reverend blamo wrote:
Dear Mom and Dad,
I just wanted to take this chance to thank you for making my childhood a living hell. For doubting my ability to do ANYTHING well and heck, while I am at it, thanks for the neglect, verbal and physical abuse. Thanks for discouraging everything I enjoyed. What kind of living could I have made as an artist anyway? I mean my dream to animate at Disney or work for Industrial Light and Magic was just silly. Those dumb movies they made. Where are those companies now? Probably out of business.
And thanks for squashing the joy out of building cars, trucks and motorcycles. What a waste of time that was. I mean I did make 200% profit from the sale of the boat I inherited from you after restoring it. And I get compliments on my Jeep everywhere I go but what is that worth. My Jetta is one of the fastest around...never beat another waste of time and money. Good thing I make good money. Thanks so much for telling my grandfather how disappointed you were in me and how you doubted if I was even straight. ( I am, but so what if I wasn't?)
I can't forget you mom, thanks so much for keeping me humble by telling me " I regret having you" or when I asked why I was being tested so much telling me " To see if your retarded" Imagine the massive ego I might have if it was not for this compassion. I might have grown up dependant on others if you and dad didn't each favor a brother and sister each. Of course I can't forget the final act of love, throwing me out of the house for spending the night with 2 lesbians. Heck, they tend to come in pairs you know. Besides it was the first time I ever drank...you wouldn't want me to drive home after that would you? I've only had my liscence a few weeks. Besides I had to prove I wasn't gay to dad.
Your son, Reverend BLAMO

i dont know if you are aloud to qu0te in this thread, but hey, ill give it a go.!
i know what you have went through, physical, and mental abuse. ive been there and still am. my moum treats me like im cant amount to anything...... i have not done the other things...lol im only 13!
i am interested in art and i am good at drawing... but ofcouse, i hav been forbidden to take up gcse and alevel art by my mum when i get that old.... like its not like being an artist means you can t get a job....
so basilly i can relate to you

elena
xoxoxox
Don't annoy me, I am running out of places to hid the bodiesPfft

elena532
#77 Print Post
Posted on June 22 2009 07:50 AM

i just realised... where am i ment to start..
god this will be long, but i only have like 10mins on the laptop...
ok..

my primary school teacher.. mr mc kevver.
oh, how i wanted to smash that stupid fat headed face of yours in...rub it up the bored and blow up your desk. (i have some imgaionation)
ok. in p6 and p7 i had him as my teacher.
to put it simple. HE bullied me. aswell as the magority of the class.
when doing the 11+ practice i got 10 out of 10 in english and science. 1 or 2 in maths. he makde me call them out in class. let perople laugh. let people bully me because of my heart condition which is unexplained and i dont do p.e because of it...
makeing me feeel bad.
making me not make eye contact untill 2nd year at high school
nearly hiting me.... i really wanted him to hit me. knok me out. cut me anything. beacuse i knew he would get in *&^$* for it. once i told a teacher he was bullyin me.....
then the day after ish he kept me behind, and conered me in the class room coner and shouted like an mad man at me. his had=nd was ready to hit me. so i said go ahead and hit me. not like ypur job is at risk. if i did not, i think he would of...

dear,bullies.
simply. i hope you are proud of yourselves.
i hope any proublem in your lifes that satered you bulying is fixed. i do understand... sort of.
im not planting blame full on you any way

i have to finish this 2morrow in school.
elena.
xoxoox
Edited by elena532 on June 22 2009 07:27 PM
Don't annoy me, I am running out of places to hid the bodiesPfft

tr3slunas
#78 Print Post
Posted on June 22 2009 10:50 AM

Wow- I just tried the exercise out on my PC and feel soooo much better- I never knew I was so angry about things! It would be a good idea to pick some of peoples letters and make them into a leaflet or small book to hand out to people- then maybe people would realise this exists!!

Some of mine...

Dear Ms ‘JD’
I want to let you know that throwing me out of your junior school maths class as I was unable to grasp what you were teaching and then phoning my parents up and telling them I was useless was a very hurtful thing to do. I am just glad you cooled your temper and allowed me back in for English in the afternoon. I just want to comment as well – Do you really think those ‘maths’ cards were a good way to teach kids- I mean come on- just pick a card and do the sums- no actual proper teaching going on!

Dear Mr producer,
Thank you for taking away the big role I would have secured in the musical just because I couldn’t complete your rhythm and counting exercises- It's interesting that you dismissed me before you even bothered to hear me sing or see me act- and surprisingly if you had bothered you would have found out I am actually quite good!

Dear Mum and Dad,
Dad- It still hurts me that time you spent shouting at me because after four hours I still couldn’t grasp division. Mum - You still don’t think I have dyscalculia and told me I was making it up- You also said I have a maths GCSE so I couldn’t possibly have it...
Edited by tr3slunas on June 13 2011 06:27 PM

reverend blamo
#79 Print Post
Posted on June 23 2009 10:42 AM

Hi Elena532 (HEy! what's with the numbers in the name? )

I will give you the good news, No I never got to work for Industrial Light and Magic. (Adam Savage and Jamie Hinnaman from Mythbusters met there ya' know) however I am very happy creating the art that I do. I am fairly established as a photographer, I still do illustrations and now am a metal sculptor. Next week I have a workshop were I will be teaching college art students how to produce metal sculptures out of bike parts. The irony is that is my dad who (sort of) taught me how to weld.
My point is this...it really dosen't matter what others think you can do. It dosen't matter if they EVER think you accomplished anything. It only matters that YOU feel that you achived your goals. That you created what you wanted.
Artists DO get jobs and sometime really good ones. I work with about 10 artists and we are always creating stuff. I have been on Television twice now talking about my work and will be on again soon to talk about my metal working.
About the bullies, I have seen some of them recently. One had just gotten out of prison and boy that humbled him a lot. A couple died. Some are such drunks/druggies that they may as well be dead.

My best revenge is thriving when the others failed and yours will be too.
"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
Elvis Costello

justfoundout
#80 Print Post
Posted on June 23 2009 08:29 PM

6/23/09
Thanks for 'getting back to us' on that, Blamo. And if there's ever a video of you or your work, and if you can send us the 'link', you know we'd love to see some of what you do. - jus'

Jump to Forum: