Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

Print Thread
Sunshine49
#1 Print Post
Posted on June 09 2008 04:33 AM

I am on Cloud Nine, having discovered this disorder via Google UK News. I have an IQ of 180, I love writing, history, art, my memory is great, but when it comes to math I go into a mental skid. In school it was terrible. No one could understand with my IQ why I could not "get" so much about math. I didn't understand it, either. It was so frustrating. Because of my IQ, my school guidance counselors always had me slated for highly mathematical, technical fields, which I dreaded and rebelled against. Over the years I've developed coping skills, shortcuts that I understand, but it is still frustrating to have my husband insist I am "just not trying." Timetables, map computations, etc. zip right by me. My husband, on the other hand, is a real whiz at all that stuff. I tell him I don't get on HIM, do I, because he's "not trying" to "get" art or history. People are different, not everybody gets math, just like not everybody gets art or music or poetry. And he is dyslexic! He is also left-handed, for what that's worth, and like many of you my hair was red at one point, it seemed to constantly change colors. There is red hair on my mother's side.

Laura
#2 Print Post
Posted on June 09 2008 10:39 AM

Hey SunShine49 and welcome to the forum Smile
BEEN THERE DONE THAT, GOT THE T-SHIRT

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on June 09 2008 12:43 PM

6/9/08
Nice to meet you. Welcome. I'm leaving for work now, so I regret not getting to talk more right now. Yes, isn't this wonderful? I think you'll be very happy here at the forum. I found it two weeks ago. Love it.
justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on June 09 2008 12:44 PM

ert
#4 Print Post
Posted on June 09 2008 08:41 PM

Welcome Smile

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
Lynx
#5 Print Post
Posted on June 09 2008 09:06 PM

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!

"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." Einstein

reverend blamo
#6 Print Post
Posted on June 09 2008 11:31 PM

Howdy and welcome Sunshine,
I just wrote a reply talking about who understands and who doesn't. Read around and you will see others have said similar things do yours.
And unfortunetly it angers me somewhat to think about. My GF has some LDs and will not accept mine. She believes I talk about them too much and use them as an excuse for things I say or do (dyscalculia is only part of my issues)
Why does this happen? Why do the people who say they love us still do this?
Oh well....glad to have you .

PS.I am glad to hear JustFoundOut likes it so much...it's nice to have someone listening who understands isn't it?
"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
Elvis Costello

Lynx
#7 Print Post
Posted on June 12 2008 04:05 AM

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!!

Yes I think it is silly that intelligence seems to be determined by mathematical ability. I can't do simple maths and therefore I must be stupid. People don't understand that a learning disability doesn't make you stupid.

It annoys me when people say stupid things like "You CAN do it really, you're just not trying" or "You're just using it as an excuse".
People need to stop being so judgemental.

"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." Einstein

Toe_Nail
#8 Print Post
Posted on June 12 2008 04:12 AM

Hello SunShine and welcome Smile
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer -- Albert Einstein

pinkymoo
#9 Print Post
Posted on June 13 2008 12:19 AM

"You CAN do it really, you're just not trying" or "You're just using it as an excuse".

Welcome to the forum! I've only just joined myself in the last few days and it's great to have a place to come and vent a little, where people understand the frustrations you have and why you think the way you think.

I spent an hour today trying to explain to my dad why I couldn't tell the time on an analogue clock. I don't know about anyone else but I find it hard because I can't remember the order the numbers come in and I have real trouble with the hands. Which one is the hour and which is the minute hand. I ended up drawing him a picture of a clock with hands the same length and asking him what time it said. He said he couldn't tell as the hands were the same and I said well I have that trouble as I can't tell the 2 hands apart on a clock. He still couldn't accept I didn't know what hand was what though Angry le sigh!

Anyways welcome to the forum.

Lynx, as for people who say to me "You CAN do it really, you're just not trying" or "You're just using it as an excuse". it kind of makes me even more determined to do it something to prove I can do in spite of the dyscalculia. I can do things. I just have to do them in weirder and wackier ways. I can do my multiplication tables. I just have to take 4 times longer, use a calculator and break it up into many chunks that are easier to manage. People may think it odd and long winded and a awful lot of effort but then they can do it by rote and just know it.

evie dee
#10 Print Post
Posted on June 13 2008 03:29 PM

Welcoem Sunshine.

http://myspace.com/evie_dee
bookworm78
#11 Print Post
Posted on June 16 2008 11:09 AM

hello
This is a new thing for me but it's great that i'm not alone in this mixed up world. I found this site by accident wilst searching for normal deslxia(sorry about the spelling) read the symptoms and it's me to a tee wow for all these years i've been told i'm stupid or that i'm not trying hard enough.. My parner dispairs of me ever keeping the correct time or ever getting directions correct. but looking back at my life so far i've had very simpathetic bosses and good friends to help along the way. Especially in catering making a dozen lasagne or several puddings, pies etc. When they got the digital scales i was a mess. It has only really become a problem now that i have changed jobs and am working in a library and i'm terrified that i'll get things in the wrong places and it's making me worse. But i love my job and i'm bit of a book buffin but don't want to disapointFrown

Lostinspatial
#12 Print Post
Posted on June 16 2008 02:30 PM

Welcome Sunshine & Bookworm!

Bookworm,

I find one way to work with placement in a library is to just keep walking the aisles to familiarize yourself with it. And if you're new, no doubt they'll work with you to show you where things go.

Jump to Forum: