Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
anxiety attack and panic attacks
RottieWoman
Posted on March 04 2011 02:41 PM

I enjoy Trivial Pursuit. Will play Monopoly so long as it's fun -spirited.
For many years my folks or friends helped me play that game in terms of counting the money/transactions, which I now can do, but it took a while and it's not a strength of mine.

shinybusa
Posted on March 23 2011 08:30 AM

I was badly bullied as a child in school..I had been put into remedial classes because of my inability to do Maths..

In hindsight the bullying was probably a good thing.it prepared me nicely for the Army,No matter what was thrown at me in Basic training I just switched off and let it roll over me.I guess it desensitised me, which when on operations became a good thing as I can detatch myself from what is happening around me and look at things without emotion getting involved.

Like a lot of us here, I avoid anything to do with numbers like the plague...I enjoy cooking ..however when you read a recipe ,the recipe asks for Three to Four Cloves...but it's written 3-4 cloves...

I put into the recipe THIRTY FOUR cloves.....needless to say dinner was a disaster that night and I ordered a Take Away instead!!!
I always have and always will be a bit thick when it comes to anything to do with numbers

Samantha
Posted on October 05 2011 08:39 AM

Hey, my names Samantha, im 11 years old, im a girl.
I have anxiety attacks whenever I go to my ballet class (i'm on point now, so this isn't kiddy stuff) and my teacher says things like "sam, In the first movement when you do an arabesque, I want you to put your right foot first, then when 'julie' goes in front of you, I want you to run to the left, starting on your right foot' Thats when I have my anxiety attacks, First I start sweating, my heart rate goes up, my body starts shaking, and I go beetroot red. And 9 times out of 10 I end up crying, because the information just doesn't sink in, no matter how hard I consentrait, everything just seems to go right over my head.
I have been told I'm a very good ballerina, and I could go to the top if I could just get the terms right, but, it just wont happen.
I want to be a ballerina, but, so far a have three things working against me number one: I have knocked knees (if you don't know what it is, search it up Wink ) Number 2: I have fairly large feet, (im size 38 and im 5'1) And my mum is 6 foot, so I am gonna be really tall, which is the worst thing for a ballerina Number 2 i am dyscalculiac!!!! ARRRHH!
So, I have been doing ballet for 7 years now, and I finnaly quit, because it was destroying my self-esteem, and my knock knees where giving me really bad pain in my tendons, and it was getting worse and worse and worse, so much that I have to wear a knee brace on my left knee, (I have an over-grown tendon).
Please, send me an email, or comment if you have the same thing, or feel the same way. Smile
Smile

RottieWoman
Posted on October 05 2011 12:41 PM

hello Samantha, I'm glad you're here Smile
I'm sorry to read about your panic attacks and your experiences with ballet. It can be hard to attempt to do something you really really want to do emotionally, but the actual act of doing it, working on it, ends up being confusing. I've had that happen to me too. Sometimes it's happened in jobs. It can be scary.
Is there any way you and maybe a parent or trusted adult can talk to your ballet instructor one-on-one, or find a new instructor and have a discussion with them before you sign up for or start the class?
At least let the instructor know how you feel?
Or maybe with your years of experience, you could take your break from performing ballet but assist little kids or help out in say Special Olympics dance activities or something - something where you give your knowledge to someone else?

I know it's hard now, but as you get to be an adult, generally you learn about so many things and eventually end up seeing things differently than you do now. Up to about 7th/8th grade I was badly bullied in school, both emotionally and physically. I was scared all the time, and I was born very prematurely so I'm a small person. I was in Special Ed for Speech and Language problems and that stood out too. I was physically un-coordinated, clumsy...part of that was I just was not physically talented in that area, part of that being so panicky about what "could" happen to me at any given moment and part of that was I literally couldn't understand patterns, instructions, spatial orientation required to play a lot of games/sports, especially the way they were taught. Teachers and kids assumed that I either knew from watching other kids play that I got it, or if a new sports-related thing was explained once and practiced - that I got that. But that wasn't true. And I didn't know how to describe this at the time.

But high school and later was a lot different. And I always knew, while all this other stuff was going on, that 1 - it was temporary; and 2- that my folks loved me. So I kept thinking about that.
I hope you can, too
HUGS Smile
Edited by RottieWoman on October 05 2011 12:43 PM

justfoundout
Posted on October 05 2011 03:15 PM

10/5/11
Hi Samantha,
I'm glad that you found our forum. Welcome. Yes, I took ballet from 6 years old to 17 years old, and was 'on point' from 13 years old. It isn't 'kid stuff'. I was slender and tiny, 5'1", Any man was tall enough and strong enough to lift me and dance with me, so that made me 'useful'. Sadly, I had weak joints, making it impossible to continue. (My muscles were fine. Just the joints were weak.) And, although I didn't know it at the time, I was dyscalculic.

As long as I was only taking classes at a public recreation center, I didn't have trouble learning the routines. Looking back, the fact that the teachers were having to deal with some students not coming for all the classes worked in my favor. The teachers didn't dare 'change up' the routines for no good reason, as this would have thrown the whole recital into chaos. But when I began classes at a 'private', paid for, expensive studio, that's when I began to notice that "Houston, we have a problem." (I was 16 or 17 at this time.) I was taking tap, besides ballet. The girl behind me, working at the barre in my tap class, had only taken lessons for a year, yet here she was supposedly 'on par' with me. I'd been dancing since I was 6. Then, I realized that she was catching on to the routines and new steps almost as soon as she was seeing them. <sighs> This was very disheartening to me.

I might have gone on and on, trying to be a dancer, were it not for a grand jete that again injured my delicate knee. My orthopedic surgeon had already told me, years earlier, that I could not dance any more, but I'd loved dancing so much that I wouldn't stop. At 17 I had to stop because of my knee. And, that part was 'just as well', because I think that eventually my LD would have stopped me. Without me knowing about LD's, I would have blamed myself for not learning the routines fast enough. Totally 'feel for you'. Sorry. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on October 05 2011 03:19 PM

Jellyemily
Posted on October 24 2011 05:26 AM

I had one last week over not being able to do Maths.I felt so stupid then panicked because I convinced myself I'd never be able to be a teacher because I can't pass the Maths entrance exam- therefor being stuck in a job I hate etc

I couldn't breathe went hot and cold my chest really hurt I ended up On the floor and just made it to the toilet to be sick. After throwing up I was ok

Imayhavedyscalculia
Posted on October 24 2011 06:45 PM

I have had one before. My mom wanted me to do a times table test to see how much I knew. At first I was thinking `oh it won`t be that hard`. WRONG! I went completely blank! and this was before we even knew of dyscalculia so my mom couldn`t understand why I was sobbing and say " I can`t remember anything!" over and over again. So she skipped the test.

RottieWoman
Posted on October 25 2011 01:18 PM

I remember what seemed like an eternity of time my folks sitting at a table with me when I was a young student, around 7,8, 11 years old time age range - trying in vain to help me with math. My dad has always done well with it, my mom is more like me with the many math LD-related potential signs but also does better with many of the basic things whereas I have trouble with them. So my folks would be sitting there trying to help me and not realizing why or where I was having such difficulty and I would be getting so bored and anxious and didn't get what they were trying to show me and then they'd start fighting with each other.
A few times my dad just gave it up and did the problems for me-

Metzie
Posted on January 26 2012 12:48 AM

I have Anxiety quite often, sometimes really bad. There are times I feel as though it will trigger a heart attack, something that frightens me even more. I live on disability because of my learning disability and being home all the time is really driving me crazy. I wish I had close friends to talk to, but I don't. I feel more alone in this world now than ever before. I don't even know if what I'm typing is even reaching any readers as I am new to this. I feel as though I know nothing!!....Is anybody out there?

RottieWoman
Posted on January 26 2012 05:10 PM

I was diagnosed with "math anxiety" in middle/early high school and had to counseling.
I don't happen to have panic attacks but my husband has started to in the last few years.

It's hard to feel isolated. Try to know you're not alone hereSmile
Edited by RottieWoman on January 26 2012 05:12 PM

justfoundout
Posted on January 29 2012 11:09 PM

1/29/12
Hi Metzie, and welcome. I hope that you have some artistic ability and are learning a craft or skill long those lines. If not, do you enjoy working with animals? The groups that train animals to help the hanidicapped might be grateful for your involvement. Another field that you might like is Sign Language for the Deaf,... or learning any language for that matter. It's a skill that you'll take with you everywhere you go. It allows you to make friends with people from different backgrounds, widening your horizons. I'm sorry that you are feeling lonely. - jus'

RottieWoman
Posted on January 30 2012 04:13 AM

Hi 'jus, I like what you wrote for MetzieSmile

those are all things I have been/am involved in in some way, Meztie, if u - or anyone has any questions - feel free to ask.
and 'jus, you've been a terp, is my understanding....

justfoundout
Posted on January 30 2012 05:04 PM

1/30/12
Yes, RW. I interpreted at a community college in Dallas, but only for a few months. When I do something, I like to do a good job of it, and I could see that I needed to either take some classes or else 'hang out' with some deaf adults for a while to improve my signing. I know that 'terp' is a lot faster to write than 'interpreter', but I prefer not to use it as an abbreviation myself. When I see 'terp', my first inclination is to think of 'terpentine', since I've done art all my life. Because I've been attending college on Pell Grant for (most of) the past 8 years, I haven't been able to take any Sign Language classes. The credit classes take all my time and energy. Maybe after I finish my Bachelor's in Spanish I'll get to have the luxury of taking some Sign Language classes. - jus'

fuegos8
Posted on April 03 2012 05:03 PM

I have had panic attacks. I hate standardized tests of any sort and I'm lucky, do about average or slightly above. Even when I study. It's frustrating and it makes me feel dumb, though I don't put a lot of stock in the tests. But everyone seems to believe in the importance of them. I studied like hell for the Praxis (for teachers) and did OK on the Math practice exercises, but when the actual test date rolled around and I was sitting there trying to do the actual problems, my brain froze. I felt like I was being plunged into icy water and couldn't breathe. Fortunately, I passed the test, but my Math scores, needless to say, were lackluster.
When I cashiered, I would often get panic attacks if I had to count out change mentally. I'm not so great at card games either.
Poor Math skills may correlate with poor organization, but I know plenty of people who are lousy at Math and who are still good organizers. I believe that some of us who are not well organized (present company included) have overactive brains, and that our thoughts fire at random, because there are just so many of them!

justfoundout
Posted on April 04 2012 10:41 PM

4/4/12
fuegos8,
I hadn't realized (or had forgotten) that you passed the teacher test. Wow! Good for you. Wish I could do that. I'm getting close to graduation and will be dealing with that certification aspect very soon. I read where Squeaky was going to try to pass it too, in Wisconsin. If the two of you could mentor me, maybe I could pass it. I'd have to use each of you as a crutch under each of my arms. Maybe you could just sort of drag me through it? - jus'

amyford
Posted on April 13 2012 04:55 PM

I have always had problems with learning math my whole life. In earlier school years I would always get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I never got good grades in math and when I took my report card home my grandma would make me write my times tables over and over hoping that would help, but it only made me hate math even more. After high school I didn't continue my education, but 2 and half years ago I started community college. My first semester I had to take math 86 (basic math) and it was a horrible experence. I was having trouble right off the bat, so my boyfriend sat with me everyday to do homework. Everyday while doing homework I would cry and have a massive headache. When I would go to class I would shut down and feel like I was about to freak out. After that class I waited awhile to take another math class and now I only take online classes and I never ask my boyfriend for help anymore. I just feel so ashamed for not being able to learn math. I did not know about dyscalculia until I saw a small report on the news about it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get tested for it?

justfoundout
Posted on April 13 2012 06:15 PM

4/12/12
Hi Amyford,
I'm so glad for you that you saw that 'small report on the news' about dyscalculia. A job hunter called the office where I was working three years ago. One thing led to another, and that's when I found out about dyscalculia. It was such a relief even to hear about it. And actually getting tested and having the diagnosis was even better.

I live in North Texas, so I can help a lot with information for my part of the country. But this is an international forum, so if you could tell us what country or what State you are in, then we can help more. My testing was paid for by a State agency for vocational rehabilitation. Some forum members have been tested through their University. And others have gone to a University where grad students need 'subjects' to give the test to, getting a big reduction in price this way.

At one time, I'd had hopes that by 'starting at the bottom' again I'd be able to work my way up and understand algebra. It just didn't work that way for me though. I have low abstract reasoning and memory problems. A few dyscalculics here have been able to learn math. (Cheshirekat, for example.) For me though, I don't enjoy the math learning process and I don't retain what I learn, so I'm just very grateful to finally have an explanation for 'why' I've never been a success with math. - jus'

redransom
Posted on April 23 2012 07:41 AM

yes, I've dealt with anxiety attacks, and panic attacks, all rolled into one. probably more than is healthy, since i was not homeschooled until this year, and I'm supposed to be in tenth grade. every day in school was dreadful, especially the first days, where you have to learn which classes are where and what numbers they are labeled with! my printed schedule would be glued in front of my eyes for months, then, because i'd get the numbers mixed up, etc. but even now i'm not without my moments of panic and anxiety.
i.picasion.com/pic52/1fa7c67cea0db2d2d2b6ac6aad0dc9a8.gif

nikkihanmer
Posted on May 15 2012 04:29 PM

Hi from the UK... this is my first post.... So glad I found this forum, I am 37 and struggled all my life with teachers telling me I was stupid (in Maths only... I am quite fab at English!!). I used to struggle with anything over three digits and relied on my husband to work maths out. I went to work for an educational psychologist who after observing me and listening to my fears of panic diagnosed dyscalculia...How happy was I!.... No longer feeling stupid I now realised that the "shut down" and panic attacks were just my brain's way of saying - "hey enough already".... I today signed up for a college course in Equality & Diversity (having just completed a degree in Theology - notice no numbers around my studies lol) and for the first time ever on the college forms they listed dyscalculia as a learning difficulty. I was so happy that finally people are starting to recognise dyscalculia as a real condition..... I still have panic attacks every time I am presented with anything over three digits and the thought of subtraction makes me shudder but I think that people are starting to become more aware (at least in UK) and that is a very positive step....!

justfoundout
Posted on May 15 2012 10:39 PM

5/15/12
Hi nikkihanmer,
So glad you've found us. Your post is fine right where you put it. But you might also like to open another Thread on Introductions so that forum members can all find you and greet you more easily. I can only look at or listen to a limited amount of math without shutting down, too. You are in good company here. - jus'

Jump to Forum: