Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
anxiety attack and panic attacks
GaryR55
Posted on April 21 2010 06:13 AM

I've had panic attacks for about thirty-five years, myself, off and on. It's varied in severity. But, as for panic attacks that are math-related, it's been a long time for me since I had any and, these days, I don't worry about it, since finding out I'm dyscalculic (when I was 43. I'll be 58 later this year). the one thing about knowing I'm dyscalculic is that it's given me a newfound confidence, because I know I'm not "stupid" and I can just tell people I'm dyscalculic and explain what that means (always! No one knows). Once I've done so, they usually understand, somewhat. That relieves me of any embarrassment.

Gary

Nyx
Posted on June 05 2010 06:15 AM

I've struggled with anxiety all my life, the dyscalculia is not the underlying cause but it has definitely intensified it. As for panic attacks, i have those any time i'm suddenly called upon to calculate something. I've felt the heart racing, giddy to near fainting, sudden and profuse perspiring... gah...i'm accustomed to it and that's the reason i'm here...i really don't want to live like this anymore, in constant fear. Getting over this math fear (and eventually the dyscalculia itself) will help me on the path to becoming a stronger, secure individual.

On another note...
Has anyone else noticed how even the computer doesn't acknowledge the word dyscalculia as real? I keep getting that horrid red error line and when i right click the word is not in the list. However,'miscalculate', 'miscalculation' and 'incalculably' are listed. Ironic eh LOL.

http://venartist.blogspot.com/
justfoundout
Posted on June 05 2010 02:57 PM

6/5/10
Hi Nyx,
It's nice to see you 'back'. I found your first post here, from almost a year ago. This time, you might even want to go to the Introductions section and start a Thread of your own, telling us a little about yourself.

Yes, we all go Grrrr when the word 'dyscalculia' is identified as non-existent on our computers, spell check, and often even on lists of disabilities.

Your above post reminded me of something that happened yesterday, and of the progress that I've made in dealing with 'math and numbers' situations since having been diagnosed with dyscalculia. I was in a government office talking with an employee, trying to get 'funds' due to a current situation. She was a very nice lady. I'd already told her that I have a Learning Disability for numbers. A few minutes later, she asked me what I pay for car insurance. I told her, "Just a moment. I brought that bill with me. Let me find it here." To hurry things along, she said, "Just give me a yearly estimate." In the past, this would have gotten me a little flustered, but since I'd already told her that I have a Learning Disability with numbers, I just re-stated my problem and said, "I have a problem with remembering numbers, but I do have that bill here in my purse. As soon as I find it, I can give you that amount." She was already a nice lady, so then she just waited a moment for me to find the bill. It was really nice to say something like this and have my limitations respected. I know that there will be other times when this doesn't work the way that it should work, but I just thought I'd share this small victory with you. - jus'

Pixie
Posted on June 05 2010 06:25 PM

I have had LOTS of panic attacks.
When I was bullied at school I started to have them and they feel horrible when I first had one I didn't know what was wrong because I sort of went suddenly hot, felt like crying, and my stomach felt like it just tunred upside down.
I don't get them as much anymore though thank goodness for that I had them every day and every night before bed for about 2 years I think.

cleancheeks
Posted on July 26 2010 09:03 PM

I have panic attacks due to the university pestering me about math. I also have the fear of birthdays

Ammycin
Posted on September 14 2010 06:22 AM

I've been on generic zoloft for about 6 months. Zoloft belongs to a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors I feel great success with zoloft.

http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/zoloft.html
Kestrel6
Posted on September 14 2010 02:11 PM

only had one, about 30 years ago, after I got fired (unjustly) for the first time. Thankfully, a friend explained what was happening and taught me to shut it off.
Blessed are the PURR in heart!

http://twicetoldtails.googlepages.com
Laura
Posted on September 14 2010 02:54 PM

Hmmm... Maybe I need some as I have bene having panic attacks quite frequently recently. Does Zoloft work well?
BEEN THERE DONE THAT, GOT THE T-SHIRT

Adalgiso
Posted on January 10 2011 01:02 AM

ed hardy clothing cartier watches breitling watches Brecht who must surely have approved. It was Brecht after all who suggested that Blitzstein expose how capital imposes its dictatorship on society by systemically pimping out the judiciary longines watches u-boat watches the "free" press baume mercier watches the clergy and all the other upstanding

Liberty
Posted on January 10 2011 02:15 AM

ed hardy clothing armani watches tag heuer watches bvlgari watches rolex panerai watches SPL after taking a step down into the First Division to learn his trade. ĎCheesyí left the Buddies in the summer of 2009 to search for regular first team football. He joined Queen of the South and went on to make more than 30 appearances for the

picklenickle72
Posted on January 12 2011 05:24 PM

I have had anxiety attacks for most of my adult life. Not sure if LD is to blame there. I had an abusive childhood and more abusive 1st marriage. I was prescribed Paxil for about 3 yrs. The anxiety was controlled but I felt very numb and disconnected so I asked to be taken off meds. During times of stress I still have issues but have learned to recognize and control my stress-ers and my response. Its not a cure but it helps. I was also diagnosed with a heart condtion and my meds for that seem to help my symptoms as well. I certainly have had Math induced panic. While trying to find work I was tested several times by employers and WOW! That can definitely flip the anxiety switch in me! Its embarrassing to feel so freaked out under those conditions. I had to get up and hide in the bathroom once until I could pull myself together. I didnt get the job either! Oh well Im reasonably happy where Im at now and they are reasonably understanding of my LD.

RottieWoman
Posted on January 12 2011 08:55 PM

hi pickle,

in middle school <7th/8th grade> I was considered to have "math anxiety" and was put into school counseling. No one thought to check if there was anything BEHIND the anxiety.
Am glad they're more understanding of your math LD at your current work. When I was a case manager working with people with cognitive disabilities, it was a very good environment for me as far as accommodations and understanding due to the nature of the work.

lunarsola
Posted on February 10 2011 02:57 AM

I've never had "anxiety" attacks, per se, until I started taking pre-algebra in college. I ended up having to get an Rx for Ativan, which I took 1/2 hour before the beginning of my class or before doing homework. It definitely helped--it calmed me down and prevented me from becoming a crying wreck during class or homework. I've also started EMDR therapy as a large part of my anxiety comes from PTSD related to some really bad experiences involving math as a young person. I've always felt uncomfortable at parties when someone suggests playing a game that involves adding, but it's pretty easy for me to bow out. There's nothing wrong with asking your MD for something to help your anxiety, but do make sure you treat the cause by undergoing therapy.

Matt V
Posted on February 16 2011 12:33 AM

Hi to everyone.
As you know I am a newbie to the Dyscalculia forum.
I have been reading all the information about Dyscalculia.
And reading your comments on the forum and understanding and identifying the problems and issues you have all faced in your daily lives. (School & Work)
What really makes me angry? Is how all of you have experienced being bullied and picked on because of your disabilities.
Id likes to share my experiences with you.
Firstly I donít want to sound like a victim or feel sorry for myself.
All through my school years (1968 to 1979) I was bulled due to my Dyslexia and being a slow learner (on going problems with understanding Mathematics) I also had problems with Anxiety and panic attacks fear of going to school, fear of examinations fear of being bullied E.C.T.
The long terms effects of on going bulling and verbal and physical abuse
Are long lasting for a child it affects their family life also. (And adult life) some of your experiences that you have shared on this forma have touched me emotional itís my experiences all over again.
What has help me in my life is having a loving and supportive wife (born in Detroit Michigan) and some very close friends.
Remember to love and respect yourself and hold your head up high
I support all of you.

Regards to all
Matt V

justfoundout
Posted on February 16 2011 01:28 AM

2/15/11
Dear Matt Vagg,\
I'm so glad that you've brought up this point,... that having a loving and supportive marriage mate can have immensely healing effects on a person who has gone through severe and sometimes life-long abuse. I heard this for the first time many years ago. I was a young adult at the time. There was a woman, the mother of three children, who had a husband who loved her with all his heart. The woman had been an orphan as a child. She said, over a dinner when I was a guest at their house, that she had been extremely sensitive, but that because her husband was so loving to her, she had gotten to the point where she was almost always happy, and much of the emotional damage had begun to heal. I was glad to hear her story. So, thank you for re-confirming this account with your own.

And, yes, kind, understanding friends help, too. - jus'

Matt V
Posted on February 16 2011 03:03 AM

Thanks Jus'
for your kind words
I am so happy that I found this forum and its good to know that there are others out there that need help and support.

TO HELL WITH ABUSE'
Matt VPfft

justfoundout
Posted on February 16 2011 05:39 AM

2/15/11
We'll just dig a hole and bury it. ;) - jus'

RottieWoman
Posted on February 16 2011 12:56 PM

hey Matt, that was a very kind post you put up now about the bullying and your supportive wife and close friends...am so happy you have found that for yourselfSmile
I don't have panic attacks <though actually hubby does> but I was bullied extensively, physically and verbally for many years in the lower grades and was very much afraid of going to school. I played sick a lot up til high school.I put off telling my folks I needed glasses because I knew what THAT would get me if I came in wearing them. In eighth grade history the teacher would write out a page of questions on the board and we were supposed to copy them and look up the answers in our books. Well, I couldn't read the board and got very good at hiding that from him, just waiting til my neighbor could finish copying the questions and then she would sneak her sheet over to me and I'd quickly copy HER questions....got very good at doing fast, legible notes and of course, faking it.
I remember my very first day in high school, I was wearing my new glasses and I was scared to death that someone would come out of the blue and attack me, throw something at me, take something from me etc. - which was my past experience. I think if someone had literally touched me I woulda had a full-out panic attack right there! But wonderously- nothing happened! I was in awe.

thanks for your supportive thoughts, MattSmile

RottieWoman
Posted on February 16 2011 12:57 PM

'jus I like your idea of digging the hole-if we all ever got together we could have a ceremonial "hole -digging", maybe stomp it down, too-

Silky
Posted on March 04 2011 12:10 PM

I too have had panic attacks but have mainly suffered with depression and general/social anxiety disorder. My dyscalculia was only discovered last year.

If I have gone round to a family members house and they want to play board/card games, I always refuse because of my inability to do maths. I love general knowledge and don't mind Trivial Pursuits but hate Monopoly and the like. I always get a weird look when I say I will opt out and inside I am soooo embarrased.

Jump to Forum: