Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
anxiety attack and panic attacks
Math_Sucks
Posted on December 23 2009 04:30 AM

I used to have panic attacks in high school... all related to math class and I also had a panic attack in a college geology class because of the math requirements in that specific class. I'm starting biology next semester and am extremely anxious about how I'm going to handle yet another lab science.

RottieWoman
Posted on December 23 2009 02:20 PM

Around 8th/9th grade I was considered to have "math anxiety" <again - LD undiagnosed> and was required to go to school guidance counselor was therapy-

justfoundout
Posted on December 25 2009 09:57 PM

12/25/09
My college online Library offers these short videos on Panic Attacks. - jus'
http://digital.fi...lay/NXMAGZ

justfoundout
Posted on December 25 2009 10:56 PM

12/25/09
Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia. When Fear Takes Control.
http://digital.fi...lay/P7JZZD

Guess what? Hippothalamus and Brain Stem. Limbic System and Neo Cortex. - jus'

Math_Sucks
Posted on January 15 2010 06:31 PM

I've had anxiety/panic attacks in math and science classes...... science because of the labs.

CheshireKat
Posted on January 15 2010 09:20 PM

Panic attacks are hell. I have them everywhere - in grocery stores, in malls, at sporting events, in class, at the doctor's office, at friends' houses, hanging out with family... there literally isn't a place where I don't have a panic attack, except my home. I was housebound for months because of it. I am several months into a very labor-intensive therapy that is finally allowing me to have control of my life again. It is a really liberating experience, so I would suggest that anyone who suffers from panic attacks look into a therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It was a life-saver for me.

Ironically though, math has never been the cause of a single panic attack for me.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Addy
Posted on January 16 2010 01:07 AM

This might or might not help ... I recently learned of some coloring books aimed at undergrads in the sciences. I asked for the neurology one for Christmas, because I love science but had to abandon it when it got mathy. If you just need to come at the learning-science problem another way, coloring might help.

There's one for biology at this super-long link:

http://www.amazon...amp;sr=8-1

Panic attacks suck. I've definitely had my share of them, both math and non-math related. Good luck.

PS -- I LOVE your avatar. Sporks rule!
Edited by Addy on January 16 2010 01:10 AM
squidoo.com/mathld
squidoo.com/writi...
squidoo.com/LDsid...
www.AddaptAbiliti...
www.wellorderedch...

www.addaptabilities.com
justfoundout
Posted on January 16 2010 01:27 AM

1/15/10
Addy - I have two of those Biology coloring books and love them. I just wish that the pages were bigger so that it would be easier to see some of the really small areas. I'm going to go dig those out of wherever they are hiding, as I'm enrolled in Biology this semester. Thanks for reminding me. - jus'

CrimsonStar
Posted on January 26 2010 07:07 AM

I've only had one anxiety or panic attack in my life. It was less than a year ago. I was away at school and was already very stressed by my situation. Nothing had worked out for me since I'd been there. My roommate and I didn't get along, was extremely unhappy and to make matters worse, I hated the city (small town) I was in. The fact I had already messed up in some of my classes didn't help. I reached my breaking piont when, one night, I was looking up schools to transfer and was certain I saw a college that was close to home. I was rechecking my research when I realized I had read some information wrong.

The school I thought had a program for my choosen field wasn't in my home city. It was actually 3 to 4 hrs south of my home town. It was a straw that broke the camels back. I got really upset and started to hyperventalate and couldn't control my breathing. I was almost on the verge of passing out then I thought quick to hold my breath. It worked until I tried to enhale and would begin to hyperventalate again. This went on for about half an hour and wasn't getting any better. I eventually hopped in my car, still very upset and made the 1hr and a half trip back home.
Remember: The light you attempt to shine upon others is NEVER as bright as the light you inadvertantly shine upon yourself.

argentnox
Posted on February 11 2010 06:54 AM

I have had panic attacks both relating to math and other things. I get severe attacks when I think something is going to impede my ability to graduate, so needless to say, I get severe attacks regarding math. I literally lose it when I am really struggling with something regarding math and cannot for the life of me put it together.

I have come up with some really good coping strategies to get me through things, though. I managed to get an A in college algebra, whereas I had to take algebra in high school twice just to barely squeak by with a C-. Knowing that I likely have this disorder (I still have not managed to scrape up enough to get tested...) has given me what I need to find ways to work around it.

My chemistry teacher is the BEST. I told her I probably had dyscalculia, she asked me to explain what it was, and when I did, she sat down with me and had me describe how I have coped in the past so she could try to make sure to describe things in ways I could best understand them. I was really struggling with conversions because of all the canceling of numbers and whatnot, so she worked with me to be able to use a visual stair-step method for converting between metric measurements. That was my aha moment for that. I still cannot convert metric the normal way, but I can do it by drawing stairs with each step down. Smile
8 + 1x = 0.04x IS the same as 8 + 1x = 0.4x, I swear it is! (And I had to check this 5 times to make sure I had written that [in]correctly!)

daydreamer
Posted on February 11 2010 03:12 PM

Wow, the fact that this thread has been running so long means this is a common problem! My 16yo son, who is dyslexic and dyscalculic, has suffered from night terrors, a form of panic attack, since he was about 8. In the middle of the night, his heart will begin to race, and he becomes very anxious and paces around the house like he is trying to "escape." He also suffers from anxiety because of his disabilities.
Chronic stress at school this past semester started affecting him physically. His hair began falling out! And he began having terrible sleeping problems. He was taking a particularly stressful math class at school, so I hoped he could tough it out through the semester. However, he had a huge meltdown, and after we talked with him, we suggested a counselor. He immediately said, "Yes, that's what I need!" So we started him with a counselor who has experience with teens and LD problems. She said he is deeply depressed.
Has anyone else here suffered from chronic anxiety/depression because of school stress? Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Victoria

argentnox
Posted on February 11 2010 05:44 PM

I suffered depression in high school which was likely triggered by different events, but I can only imagine that the stress of being told I was not trying hard enough in math did nothing to help. It was already very frustrating being a fantastic student but not being able to grasp math at all, but then to be told it was my fault was the breaking point. I had fallen behind in math as early as 5th grade when we started prealgebra, and I never caught up. Since I did so well in everything else and I was clearly a bright student, my parents and teachers alike kept just telling me to try harder.

My aunt (then my uncle's girlfriend) started giving me tutoring sessions, and I would walk out of them feeling like I finally had it. Then come time for the tests, I was completely lost and panicked again. My tests tended to have a lot of pretty little doodles on them, and one even had a poem on it expressing my stress over math. I think my algebra teacher in high school took pity on me, as she gave me a lot of extra credit work to do. That was the only reason I managed a C. Once I memorize a formula, it is in my head for good. My memory amazes me, actually. I have all sorts of random information that goes in and never leaves.

So once I actually understand and memorize a formula, recalling it is never the problem. Knowing where to apply it, keeping numbers and signs straight (and WHY do tests all have to be made nearly entirely of fractions and half a million sign changes?!), and testing anxiety.

My father had generalized testing anxiety, and he got through it by asking his teachers to let him take the tests AFTER class, where he felt less pressure. I only have anxiety when the tests involve math. Any other tests I am great at. I always score very well on anything requiring verbal/written/language skills, non-mathematical critical thinking skills, or memorization skills.

Combine all of that with depression, and I was pretty much a mess. I terror slept so badly that I would come up literally kicking and punching if someone woke me. I was a zombie half of the time because I would go days without sleep and just collapse somewhere (thankfully usually at home--in the hall in front of my room seemed to be a choice location...), dead to the world when my body finally won over my brain.
8 + 1x = 0.04x IS the same as 8 + 1x = 0.4x, I swear it is! (And I had to check this 5 times to make sure I had written that [in]correctly!)

Kevin_Charless
Posted on February 12 2010 09:28 AM

Yes, I had panic attack when I fear a lot for a particular thing or situation. I got a lot of trouble because of this attack. Later I have
consult a Hypnotherapist from thoughtsbecomereality.co.uk. After the consultation and the hypnotherapy session I found a good relief from those attacks and also I found a good improvement in my self confidence and self control.

RottieWoman
Posted on February 12 2010 01:56 PM

welcome, Kevin_Charless Smile
don't happen to have panic attacks personally but wanted to say "hi"

daydreamer
Posted on February 12 2010 08:29 PM

Argentnox, my son's experiences sound so like yours..."tutoring sessions, and I would walk out of them feeling like I finally had it. Then come time for the tests, I was completely lost and panicked again." He has told me several times before tests that he studied and that he thought he"got it." He would even come out of the tests thinking he did OK, but then find out that he had failed!
I would love to hear about your coping strategies for algebra. My son has a tutor now, and the tutor would be very open to any ideas that might help.
His teacher is very understanding, but right now that is not making a difference in his grades.
Now the depression and anxiety are causing him to do poorly in other classes, forgetting assignments, turning in work late, etc., and I don't know how to help him.
Victoria

argentnox
Posted on February 13 2010 12:07 AM

Daydreamer, I rely on my good memory to help me. I cannot, cannot, cannot generalize. I cannot say, "If this applies to one thing, I can just take it a step more and do this." Rather, I have to literally memorize every little thing. Like for density...

Most people can remember that if D = m/v then you can just work backward to find density from mass and volume or whatnot. I cannot. I get confused and go into a panic again. Instead, I memorize the already completed formulas. M = d*v and V = m/d

Learning how to memorize is very important, too. I find that if I categorize things and find connections, it helps quite a bit. Using my above example, I remember that whenever dividing in one of them, the m is always on the top.

I am still struggling with something to remember sin/cos/tan but so far I have:

Sin: I sound can be replaced by a Y in some words. So this one has hYpotenuse in it.

Cos: Cosine is the friend of sin, so it also has to have a hypotenuse in it.

I am still trying to figure out how to remember which one has the opposite as the numerator and which has the adjacent as the numerator, but it is a start. Grin

Then tangent is the one without the hypotenuse in it, because there is no I in "tangent." So all that is left is opposite and adjacent. Again, working out a way to remember which one goes on top and which is on the bottom.

Also, practice, practice, practice. I literally do the exact same type of questions over, and over, and over. It means more time, and it is exhausting, I will not lie. There is no way I have found around that.

Frequent short breaks are important, too! In fact, I am writing up this post while taking a break from my precalc because my brain just gave up on me while trying to figure out the sides of a triangle when given one side and one angle in degree measurements. I set myself a reasonable goal. If it is really hard stuff, I make myself do two types of questions and really get them, then I give myself a short break.

Kestrel6
Posted on February 13 2010 01:52 AM

Only once, back in my early 20s; I had been fired (unjustly) from a job and went to commiserate at a friend's house. I had a pounding headache, tachycardia and hyperventilation, and no idea why. Thankfully my friend said "you're having an anxiety attack; slow it down" and I drank some soda and meditated till I got it back under control. Scary stuff.
Blessed are the PURR in heart!

http://twicetoldtails.googlepages.com
my3angels65
Posted on March 29 2010 07:32 PM

I have had many anxiety/panic attacks. Most of them revolve around finances and dealing with money/spending/debting and paperwork. I've had them so severely that at one time I was afraid I was having a heart attack.

I also have ADD and am very unorganized and procrastinate so that makes me stressed out and then when I have to deal with the mess I've created, I'll have anxiety attacks.

At one time, I had a dr. prescribe Zanax which I hated taking. Made me feel too weird and a few years ago a dr. prescribed Klonopin, but it made me feel kind of spaced out.

Now, I just try to allow myself to breathe and feel through the anxiety and talk myself through the feelings. I also take an OTC herb called Valerian Root, which has a calming effect as well as helping me sleep at night without making me feel druggy in the morning. It also helps me at night when I wake up in the middle of the night. That seems to be when the worst of mine occur when I wake up out of a sound sleep worrying about finances, things at work or things with my children.

justfoundout
Posted on March 30 2010 03:54 AM

3/29/10
Hi my3angels65,
It's nice to see you again. Yes, Valerian Root is a great herb. - jus'

CheshireKat
Posted on April 06 2010 02:39 PM

Valerian root is a good herbal choice for both anxiety and mild to moderate depression. In fact, it is the front-line treatment for mild to moderate depression and anxiety in the U.K., although not approved by the FDA here for treatment of those disorders. Unfortunately Valerian root doesn't really work for severe cases of either. I take Xanax frequently, it doesn't make me feel spacey or "weird" at all but it does make me crash about 4 hours later and have to take a nap. Klonopin helped me sleep very well but it gave me thrombocytopenia (very low platelet count) and I was covered in bruises so I had to stop taking it. Those pesky side effects will get you every time.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Jump to Forum: