Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 8

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Dyscalculia Day?
ert
#1 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2007 10:30 AM

Shouldn't dyscalculia have a day of its own? You know, an awareness day like International Literacy Day, World AIDS day, Wear red day etc.

International Dyscalculia Day. What day should it be? Something easy like October 10 (10/10) or April 4 (4/4).

I'm just thinking out loud, don't mind me... Just thinking that there are some pretty weird things people celebrate, like 'National Dress Up Your Pet Day' on January 14th, so why not a day to spread the word about dyscalculia? Basically awareness days are an excuse to send out thousands of press releases and do various happenings to get people to notice what you/the organisation/company/etc. have on your mind.

Not really sure how to go about it though. I can't imagine there's like a place where you "sign up" to get a day for a purpose, lol (except for the United Nations approved days like world aids day, but that's not gonna happen - dyslexia doesn't even have a United Nations day).

So guess WE decide whether or not there should be a dyscalculia day. Should there? When? How could we use that day to spread the word in our own countries?
Edited by ert on October 20 2007 10:41 AM

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
cruachan
#2 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2007 04:35 PM

Wow, interesting idea. We could set up tents in Island Festival here and have an info hotline. TV advertising by YT vidders, and meetups at local psych centres... even free screening tests for kids!
I'm curious would anyone else be so enthustiastic...Grin
-----
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
-----

http://weirdsanctuary.blogspot.com
Countess
#3 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2007 09:46 PM

Administrator

to be honest ? I thought about it too ert Pfft
Yes to: easy date to remember !
How to spread the word: write emails to all the people that we know for starters and explain what is Dyscalculia.
And why not writing letters to our own gouverment Pfft or the politician who wants our vote (there is always a local one round).
Okay I am thinking out loud here Smile

'You should really be sympathetic to people who suffer 'Normalism' (Geoff)
My Child (born 97) has Dyscalculia
Sorry for any spelling mistakes ;-)

http://www.myspace.com/countess_mom
Rac
#4 Print Post
Posted on October 21 2007 12:07 AM

great idea! Hey, if theres a national sausage week, I should think we deserve something!!
Is there some sort of magazine or website we could advertise in?
Sounds like an revolution to me!

'Victims of maths dyslexia say "WE COUNT TOO (although not very easily and some of use have to use our fingers)!"'.

Sounds catchy! How do other people use their special day?

Kathy
#5 Print Post
Posted on October 21 2007 12:34 AM

Hi,

Great idea!! (I have never heard of a national sausage week!! made my day!Grin) - we do have the annual Mullet festival over here in Bribie- (not as in hair cut) -but as in the fish!! - so yes I would love a Dyscalculia day. Smile

Cheers
Albert Einstein said: "Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count!."

ert
#6 Print Post
Posted on October 21 2007 05:11 PM

Rac wrote:

'Victims of maths dyslexia say "WE COUNT TOO (although not very easily and some of use have to use our fingers)!"'.

LOVE IT! ShockPfft

All the way up there with the dyslexic's slogan "dyslexics of the world, untie!" Grin
Edited by ert on October 21 2007 07:26 PM

Admin
#7 Print Post
Posted on October 28 2007 08:03 AM

Super Administrator

March 3rd? 03.03.08?

http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com
conec
#8 Print Post
Posted on November 27 2007 11:08 PM

could I suggest that a good time to have dyscalculia day would be at the start of the new school year, September/ October. that way the students could learn about it in school through talks given by their teachers and give teachers a reminder of the symptoms to look out for with their new students.
Edited by conec on November 27 2007 11:09 PM

Admin
#9 Print Post
Posted on November 27 2007 11:43 PM

Super Administrator

We discussed this for hours, believe you me, and found that 3/3 was the best.

Other days are heavily occupied with other purposes that will take the focus from us, and national holidays that shuts down work, school and the media all over the world.

For example;

9/9 is too early in the school year - lots of schools are not even open yet. And those who are, are too busy getting started to have the time to arrange events, notice new stuff and all that.

10/10 is World Mental Health day, and would be like having dyscalculia day on dyslexia day....

11/11 is St. Martin's Day in the Netherlands, Germany, Flanders, Austria and Portugal, AND Armistice Day in New Zealand, France and Belgium AND Independence Day in Poland AND Veterans Day in the States.

We need an easy date with the two same numbers - both because it's DYSCALCULIA day and because it's an international day. Telling people in the UK that the date is 3/12 would make them think it's December 3, while US people would think it's March 12.

reverend blamo
#10 Print Post
Posted on November 27 2007 11:56 PM

Great ideas...will being thinking of ideas myself.
LOVE the " we count too"

conec
#11 Print Post
Posted on November 28 2007 03:33 PM

oh i thought you were asking people what they thought of 03 03.Sorry

Admin
#12 Print Post
Posted on November 28 2007 03:44 PM

Super Administrator

conec, we were asking - but it's an ooold post. No need to say sorry Shock Smile

No one had anything to say about this, so we (eoffg, countess and I) just decided, to get this started.

evie dee
#13 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 12:54 AM

That would be a great idea. This is something that not a lot of people know about, and we really need to raise awareness about it.

http://myspace.com/evie_dee
not stupid
#14 Print Post
Posted on December 09 2007 04:29 AM

HI ERT.
I have only just joined the forum but its obvious it could lead to great things with the enthusiasm being shown about the proposed day.
I want to see if I can get this posted to my companies web site. Its an international company professing its interest in its work force, mm lets see how interested shall we !
If the press release is sound, I see no reason for them objecting and its not going to cost them anything but the space on the web site.
Maybe other members can persuade their companies to do the same.
I will keep my eye on this and try to set the ball rolling by attacking the MD (verbally) in the car park on Thursday morning when I am back at work.

ert
#15 Print Post
Posted on December 11 2007 08:39 PM

Sounds great not stupid!

Rasputin
#16 Print Post
Posted on December 12 2007 12:58 AM

Guys I'm sorry but we have to compete with Jordans new fragrance, if anything has to be done it has to be brought to the mass media, we can pussy about with other stuff but no body will take notice, we can target bebo, myspace, you tube and the rest but that isn't the audience that needs to know.

I may be biased but without media attention nothing gets done.

This has to go out to the general public, they don't have myspace accounts or bebo accounts or log into you tube they read papers.

Lets not be naive about this, it's not a young persons problem that we can deal with on the net, it is a global problem that has to be dealt with in a global fashion.

Sorry i may be new but you are playing about on the net with an issue that should be out on the mainstream.

Ras.
And it harms none, do what thou will for that shall be the whole of the law.

Admin
#17 Print Post
Posted on December 12 2007 06:30 AM

Super Administrator

Ras, the mass media will be contacted, that's what the press release discussion is for. But they will only be contacted in the countries/areas that have a contact person - we can't put a Danish phone number on a press release in the states, for example.

So it's pretty much up to all of us if anything gets done.

The internet is a great ressource to find dyscalculics and spreading the word. It's not just random people we contact on MySpace etc., and we do get tons of positive response from people who thought they were alone in the world.

Doing one thing doesn't rule out the other. Everyone should do what they feel like doing. We have to start somewhere.

eoffg
#18 Print Post
Posted on December 13 2007 08:16 AM

Administrator

Hi RasPfft
The internet is the mainstream these days.

discalculicosbrasil
#19 Print Post
Posted on December 13 2007 04:14 PM

I liked 03/03 - It's in my site!Pfft
Discalculicos Brasil - A Brazilian site about Dyscalculia

www.discalculicosbrasil.mat.br
Rasputin
#20 Print Post
Posted on December 14 2007 03:07 PM

I know that more and more the internet is becoming mainstream for stuff, but the problem i see is people don't know there is a problem, media is still the best way to highlight something like this in a short sharp way to a mass audience.
And it harms none, do what thou will for that shall be the whole of the law.

Jump to Forum: